LaunchBox Community Forums

Start pc via xbox controller wireless

JacK1518

Hey, 

I wanna start my pc with the "x" button of my xbox one wireless controller (original wireless adapter).  Is that possible? I dont find any solution.. 

WoL works with my phone (but slow), even my mouse can start the pc with a click. 

The problem is the controller cannot pair without windows isn't it? 

My specs:

Win 10

Msi z390i gaming edge ac motherboard

I hope anybody have an idea.

1 hour ago, JacK1518 said:

Hey, 

I wanna start my pc with the "x" button of my xbox one wireless controller (original wireless adapter).  Is that possible? I dont find any solution.. 

WoL works with my phone (but slow), even my mouse can start the pc with a click. 

The problem is the controller cannot pair without windows isn't it? 

My specs:

Win 10

Msi z390i gaming edge ac motherboard

I hope anybody have an idea.

This is not possible, your PC obviously needs to be on for the controller to be connected to it to send a command to turn it on. It's a chicken and egg situation.

Think the outlet is probably easier. Makes it work on far more devices and many even have built in WiFi (smart home outlets) so you could even turn your PC on from your phone on your way home from work so it was ready for you by the time you opened your door. Also FAR easier to set up (at least it sounds like it to me) than the solution you are describing.

Ok thank you for your idea! But i can already turn my computer on per app via WOL. So i don't need this step anymore or have i misunderstood you? I dont need bluetooth, because i already can start it via wlan.

My problem is: If i can NOT start the pc with the Xbox One wireless adapter per WOL, i can start my pc via WOL app. BUT is there an app with which I can operate Wol AND the amazon Fire tv? Or is there some kind of adapter for the pc or tv that could make my life easier (so that the controller work after all)?

I want to turn on my pc without standing up and push the power button. The TV already starts automatically with the Pulse 8 adapter.

But i also want to stream on Fire TV Stick with the same TV. Now i have two apps. But if i cannot turn on per controller, i wanna have only one remote for all.

Do you know what i mean? And now i´m searching for a solution or opinions of other people, how they set the system up.

Edited by JacK1518

You're device (much like Neil has stated) has to be connected so a device that ISN'T the computer and then would have to know to re-pair TO the device on start up. I'm not sure this is possible using a Xbox controller without a host of help software located on several different devices. Sounds like you'd need to look into apps that can control all the things you are looking for, but I can almost assure you that will NOT be your XBox controller.

@Rlad

Thank you for your response. I dont think that the stick can pair with the xbox controller only to send "a package" to wake up? Do you have any experience with it?

@neil9000

I have a microsoft mouse and keyboard, wireless with a stick plugged in. I can wake up my pc, with both. So the mouse and keyboard are paired with the stick and the pc can get "packages" or a signal. I think its a problem of the xbox adapter himself, so that it can not be paired without a software. Sadly.

@c-beats

Yes, i think i have to look for an other solution like apps.

I hope anyone here have the experience with this kind of app (android). Unfortunately, i am really unsure about a few apps especially because of Wol.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:04 AM, JacK1518 said:

@Rlad

Thank you for your response. I dont think that the stick can pair with the xbox controller only to send "a package" to wake up? Do you have any experience with it?

@neil9000

I have a microsoft mouse and keyboard, wireless with a stick plugged in. I can wake up my pc, with both. So the mouse and keyboard are paired with the stick and the pc can get "packages" or a signal. I think its a problem of the xbox adapter himself, so that it can not be paired without a software. Sadly.

@c-beats

Yes, i think i have to look for an other solution like apps.

I hope anyone here have the experience with this kind of app (android). Unfortunately, i am really unsure about a few apps especially because of Wol.

I use an android app on my phone to switch my PC on. It's called "Wake on Lan" Very handy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.mrwebb.wakeonlan&hl=en&gl=US

Sounds like you want a harmony remote control with hub (uses RF/IR and Bluetooth) and that app, you wont find something that controls devices and also does wake on lan. 

I have this specific one below, but it was only £70 when i bought it and it works great to control all my devices, i have it controlling these devices. LG C9 OLED, Sony AVR. PC (PC needs Bluetooth), XBOX Serie S, Playstation 4, Fire TV, Shield TV, Sky Q DVR, 5 port HDMI 2.0 switcher. Harmony remotes can support 270,000 different devices (although that varies buy the remote you buy as most dont do Bluetooth, you need one with the hub for that).

Logitech Harmony Companion Universal Remote Control for SKY, Apple TV, fireTV, Alexa, Roku, Netflix, Sonos and Smart Home, One-Touch Actions, Easy Set-Up App, LG/Samsung/Sony/Hisense/Xbox/PS4 - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Wow, you have a lot of devices?

From the first look, the harmony app looks great, but the hub is very expensive.

Edit: I tried the android app "anymote", but i couldn't get the connection with fire tv to work. 

Edited by JacK1518
Additional Info's

2 minutes ago, zetec-s-joe said:

I am certain if your mobo is compatible you can wake a PC from sleep doing this. I am sure I looked into it a few years ago and found the feature was greyed out in the bios on my machine

Waking from sleep is very different to actually powering on from a off state, i mean waking a PC from sleep is as simple as moving a mouse or pressing a key on your keyboard, starting it from a powered off state is a completely different ball game though.

2 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

He did not mention in the OP it had to be from powered off, having your HTPC/Gaming setup wake from sleep using your Xbox controller is handy. Sorry @JacK1518, ignore my link

No problem. Thanks anyway for trying to help! 

@neil9000 Is it possible to WoL with the harmony hub? I don't find anything about that. 

I tried the "anymote smart remote" app on android without any hub. It has a beta plugin for the fire tv stick. But there is a problem.. On screen there is the "debug window" which i had to allow. If i do so, there is no connection at all and the window comes everytime i want it to connect..

So i hope someone have a solution, because the harmony app is expensive and should be the last choice..

• Like 1
  • Game On 1