LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox/bigbox image to flash directly on your SSD?

Cristagally

Hello everyone, 

I'm not sure I can't express properly what I've in my mind but i will try to do my best fro you to understand.

You can download a Recabox/Batocera (not retropie) image tar.gz and flash it on a USB stick in order to boot directly on it and install it on a SSD drive for example. That what i'm using on my TV-connected Intel Nuc. On my desktop I -of course- have Launchbox installed. But I'm mainly play on my TV. Right now the olny solution I've found is to install Windows 10, then install Launchox. But it's not straightforward, and quite heavy in term of ressources (my Nuc is a Broadwell i3).

Do you think it's possible to have a ready-to-flash image like the example mentionned above?

Hope you will understand my request. 

Have a nice day, peace.

4 minutes ago, Cristagally said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm not sure I can't express properly what I've in my mind but i will try to do my best fro you to understand.

You can download a Recabox/Batocera (not retropie) image tar.gz and flash it on a USB stick in order to boot directly on it and install it on a SSD drive for example. That what i'm using on my TV-connected Intel Nuc. On my desktop I -of course- have Launchbox installed. But I'm mainly play on my TV. Right now the olny solution I've found is to install Windows 10, then install Launchox. But it's not straightforward, and quite heavy in term of ressources (my Nuc is a Broadwell i3).

Do you think it's possible to have a ready-to-flash image like the example mentionned above?

Hope you will understand my request. 

Have a nice day, peace.

Short answer, No, sorry. Those other programs you mention are actually custom Linux OS's with emulation station installed on them, so not really any difference to Windows with Launchbox installed to it. There is one major difference though Linux is free, and open source, Windows is closed source, and technically cost £100 for a license.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for replying so fast! Will I bother you if I ask you more questions? I understand perfectly that the others distributions are linux + ES on top. Like windows + Launchbox on top. But I found my BigBox quite heavy to use. I need to use mouse and keyboard to launch my Bigbox. Is there a most straightforward way to use it? I'm quite new to Launchbox to be honest).

On 11/6/2021 at 1:17 PM, Cristagally said:

Thanks for replying so fast! Will I bother you if I ask you more questions? I understand perfectly that the others distributions are linux + ES on top. Like windows + Launchbox on top. But I found my BigBox quite heavy to use. I need to use mouse and keyboard to launch my Bigbox. Is there a most straightforward way to use it? I'm quite new to Launchbox to be honest).

If you are looking for a way to start Big Box as you log into Windows, this is possible through a few different means. You could add a Big Box shortcut to your startup folder (as per this video) or you could create a task within the task scheduler to start Big Box as Windows logs in.

In addition, I found this to help with making the experience of booting directly into BB unobtrusive. I haven't tested it yet though.

https://superuser.com/questions/1267931/hide-the-logon-screen-windows-10-iot

Here are the techniques faeran mentioned:

https://www.howtogeek.com/138159/how-to-enable-programs-and-custom-scripts-to-run-at-boot/

• Like 1