LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox | Bigbox | 532 Platforms | 534 Playlists | 600,000+ Games | The ridiculous collection (updated Jan 20 '23)

-McFly-

8 hours ago, oniotaku said:

Are you using just launchbox as your frontend? I have about 300k games and it is bigger than your drive but some of my games are using a AIO hyperspin rocketlauncher. How can I get my games to be smaller? 

game_list.txt 10.07 MB · 2 downloads

I'm guessing here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but it may depend on the generation of the game files. I know there is some wizardry out there for file compression, but I suspect ultimately it boils down to what generation your game files belong to and what percentage are newer vs older files!  I cited the Retrobeast a few posts back, and that catalog is 100K+ titles at 96TB of space. Of those 100K+ titles, at least 10% or more is comprised of PS3 era and newer games. That's a significant amount of large file titles.  If the OP has 650K+ but most of what he has archived is for older computers, calculators, consoles AND it includes hacks or mods of those titles, that will utilize a lot less space.

This is my theory anyway!

2 hours ago, Emrys3177 said:

I'm guessing here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but it may depend on the generation of the game files. I know there is some wizardry out there for file compression, but I suspect ultimately it boils down to what generation your game files belong to and what percentage are newer vs older files!  I cited the Retrobeast a few posts back, and that catalog is 100K+ titles at 96TB of space. Of those 100K+ titles, at least 10% or more is comprised of PS3 era and newer games. That's a significant amount of large file titles.  If the OP has 650K+ but most of what he has archived is for older computers, calculators, consoles AND it includes hacks or mods of those titles, that will utilize a lot less space.

This is my theory anyway!

You are correct Emrys3177 :) I haven't gone for a lot of the larger PS3, XBOX etc. titles as my need isn't just to fill up drives. When it comes to PS1 and others tho, there's a LB plugin here that will convert ISO and other files to CHD which did reduce a lot of space. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dbossy1 said:

was joking dude. well done for the collection.

I got a problem with Launchbox. wjen try Launching Mame with any game it doesn't load and goes straight back to Launchbox🫤

I'd reach out on the general forums, they'll have an answer for you.

• Thanks 1

Great collection!
Those Tosec collections are mental right!? haha. So thorough!
i have some of their stuff from when i started out, trying to work it all out, downloading anything and everything i could find. none of the Tosec stuff has really made it into my launchbox collection yet as i'm still making sure the console stuff for like 40 years is legit. That's putting me at about 8TB and 25K atm. 

• Game On 1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm assuming this collection is not a 1g1r collection (and contains only English except translated games+non-English platforms only), right?

Would you be willing to share the complete game list (excel/spreadsheet)? - I have 60k games in mine as per the restrictions above...I'd like to see what I'm missing...

7 hours ago, cleverest said:

I'm assuming this collection is not a 1g1r collection (and contains only English except translated games+non-English platforms only), right?

Would you be willing to share the complete game list (excel/spreadsheet)? - I have 60k games in mine as per the restrictions above...I'd like to see what I'm missing...

You are correct, he includes everything there is. For a 1g1r set 60k games sounds about right if you have all the major consoles and handhelds, but it depends on what you inlcude. I am at around 300k titles with a (mosty) 1g1r, but I do also include the Flashpoint ultimate collection, the Exo (DOS, ScummVM, ...)  collections and C64 dreams, as well as sveral TOSEC collections for the computer systems (which then makes it not strictly 1g1r anymore, since there is no easy way to convert a TOSEC set to 1g1r). Then Ialso started adding magazines and comics and that way, the collection can get really large really fast.

Been thinking about going the same route as OP, but have decided against it, because Launchbox will get cluttered up too much for my personal taste and BigBox doesn't handle such huge collections very  well, even on a high end PC. I want to still have a conveniently usable collection rather than a complete archive. Plus, if I decided to include everything, I'd probably force myself to do the same for the newer systems (PS3, XBOX 360) as well, and that would mean A LOT of additional storage space, which I don't want to spend money on atm. I'm at around 35-40 TB right now, despite having compressed to CHD or other compressed formats whenever possible. This saved a huge amount of space, but if you want WiiU, Switch, PS3, PSVita, 3DS, Flashpoint Ultimate, ... you'll eventually reach those numbers, even on a 1g1r set.

Edited by SiriusVI

10 hours ago, cleverest said:

A complete excel spreadsheet of all the games... I'm not entirely sure how I'd do that tbh. I've never tried importing from .xml to a spreadsheet, I'd need to look into it. 
SiriusVI's reply above is correct, I've searched in (too) many places to find everything and smushed everything together. Some sets I've downloaded might be 100GB only to give me an extra game or 2. I'm still missing a bunch of SNES titles.

18 minutes ago, -McFly- said:

A complete excel spreadsheet of all the games... I'm not entirely sure how I'd do that tbh. I've never tried importing from .xml to a spreadsheet, I'd need to look into it. 
SiriusVI's reply above is correct, I've searched in (too) many places to find everything and smushed everything together. Some sets I've downloaded might be 100GB only to give me an extra game or 2. I'm still missing a bunch of SNES titles.

I didnt see an XML download for this...where is that? That would work. I just want to browse your collection....

You have like 4900 SNES titles!  There were only like 800 (US) that were made, so how are you missing ANY? You mean in certain languages or hacks of them?

My collection is 16TB. All smartly compressed real-time formats for games... I have exodos, win3x, scumm, Flashpoint (although that needs updated badly), and about 2,300 video game mags/comics and I'm still barely over 62k I believe...I think I'm missing some rare platform odd-ball collections mostly.

Edited by cleverest

3 minutes ago, cleverest said:

I didnt see an XML download for this...where is that? That would work. I just want to browse your collection....

You have like 4900 SNES titles!  There were only like 800 (US) that were made, so how are you missing ANY? You mean in certain languages or hacks of them?

I'm trying to find all languages, hacks, homebrews, everything. I have some 'best of' playlists that I found somewhere, if the numbers in there aren't whole (ie. 50, 100 etc.) then I take that to mean I'm missing something. It's entirely possible that I do have everything they're just mis-named but I'm not going through all the weirdly named ones one by one to see what they are... :)

4 minutes ago, cleverest said:

My collection is 16TB. I have exodus, win3x, scumm, Flashpoint (although that needs updated badly), and about 2,300 video game mags/comics and I'm still barely over 62k I believe...I think I'm missing some rare platform odd-ball collections mostly.

Check out my Platforms xml file, there might be a few there you can add - https://forums.launchbox-app.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=96455&key=b2a8a06f80b22bb6a08c82b77a140dea

On 8/4/2023 at 5:56 PM, cleverest said:

My collection is 16TB. All smartly compressed real-time formats for games... I have exodos, win3x, scumm, Flashpoint (although that needs updated badly), and about 2,300 video game mags/comics and I'm still barely over 62k I believe...I think I'm missing some rare platform odd-ball collections mostly.

That can't be right. Fllashpoint Ultimate alone has well over 170.000 titles as of Version 11.1. Version 12 should come out soon with even more titles.

On 8/4/2023 at 6:00 PM, -McFly- said:

I'm trying to find all languages, hacks, homebrews, everything. I have some 'best of' playlists that I found somewhere, if the numbers in there aren't whole (ie. 50, 100 etc.) then I take that to mean I'm missing something. It's entirely possible that I do have everything they're just mis-named but I'm not going through all the weirdly named ones one by one to see what they are... :)

"Everything" gets very confusing once hacks and fanmade games are included. If I wanted "everyting", I'd just import the entire No Intro SNES set. Then I'd download the Goodset collection, extract, search for "hack" and then import all the hacks. I'd consider this "complete".

However, many of these "Goodset" hacks are unfinished and/or broken, so in my case, I think I'd just search out hacks that are "completed", but that is A LOT of manual work. Anyway, I'd keep the hacks separate from the official releases to keep things organized.

For "completed" hacks, you can start looking here:

image.thumb.png.1de6d524fc959425abd1ccde10132f98.png

Edited by SiriusVI
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 2:53 PM, SiriusVI said:

"Everything" gets very confusing once hacks and fanmade games are included. If I wanted "everyting", I'd just import the entire No Intro SNES set. Then I'd download the Goodset collection, extract, search for "hack" and then import all the hacks. I'd consider this "complete".

However, many of these "Goodset" hacks are unfinished and/or broken, so in my case, I think I'd just search out hacks that are "completed", but that is A LOT of manual work. Anyway, I'd keep the hacks separate from the official releases to keep things organized.

For "completed" hacks, you can start looking here:

image.thumb.png.1de6d524fc959425abd1ccde10132f98.png

I've found some crazy downloads, stuff I'd never find on the known sites. I prefer to put everything together.

• Game On 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 1:44 PM, SiriusVI said:

That can't be right. Fllashpoint Ultimate alone has well over 170.000 titles as of Version 11.1. Version 12 should come out soon with even more titles.

Sorry this is so late...it's correct, I'm just counting flashpoint as ONE game (the launcher), and didn't include it's individual games as games in my set...

• Like 1