LaunchBox Community Forums

How to move the LaunchBox install location without uninstalling and reinstalling?

bgtaman

Hi, I have LaunchBox installed onto my C drive.  The problem is that it's a small drive and LaunchBox is taking up 133GB with all the cover, videos, and meta data for my library of games.  I need to move this folder : C:\Users\M***\LaunchBox (134GB), to another drive way larger.  I don't want to uninstall LaunchBox because I will have to reconfigure everything that I've spent many months on organizing and configuring. At least I'm assuming I would have to?   So is there a way I can update this C folder path to another larger drive?  Thanks in advance!

This question has been touched on in numerous threads.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+move+launchbox+to+new+drive+site:forums.launchbox-app.com&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=AOaemvKNXpc1mFM4boN_xTWpTP2k7KNAiQ:1636643898664&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjLucvRzZD0AhXxTDABHWV8DLcQrQIoBHoECAcQBQ&biw=1602&bih=953&dpr=1

In short, if you have everything installed in the \Launchbox folder you can simply move the folder to the new drive. Pretty much things should work. Now, there may be some outliers with emulators you may need to correct a path or so, but settings should not be affected. If your roms are moving roms and emulator to separate folders you will need to go into each platform and select all games then under Tools > File Management >Change Rom folder Path to update. For emulators you will need to use the Manage Emulators option and edit each .exe path. You should be able to find more information in most of the topics linked in the Google Search above.

Hello, thank you for your reply.  I have Roms and emulators all on different drives. But i'm not clear on how to move C:\Users\M***\LaunchBox folder and update LaunchBox with the new folder location? this is the folder that keeps growing as i add more games and download game assets like Images/Music/Videos and metadata. So the question is how do i update the launchbox settings to point to this new location for the launchbox folder?  The link you shared did not touch on this from what i looked at.  Is there a settings option to where i can point to the new location of this folder? Thanks!

image.thumb.png.151e523833cb50ead8f88004ecf10709.png

6 minutes ago, bgtaman said:

Hello, thank you for your reply.  I have Roms and emulators all on different drives. But i'm not clear on how to move C:\Users\M***\LaunchBox folder and update LaunchBox with the new folder location? this is the folder that keeps growing as i add more games and download game assets like Images/Music/Videos and metadata. So the question is how do i update the launchbox settings to point to this new location for the launchbox folder?  The link you shared did not touch on this from what i looked at.  Is there a settings option to where i can point to the new location of this folder? Thanks!

image.thumb.png.151e523833cb50ead8f88004ecf10709.png

If your roms and emulators are not moving, then you dont need to do anything other than drag and drop the Launchbox folder to the new drive, ideally that drive should be formatted as NTFS as well.

44 minutes ago, bgtaman said:

Hi, I moved the folder and LaunchBox starts up. I can launch PC games no issues.  But now the ROMS do not load.  I did not move the location of the Roms or Emulators like RetroArch.  Is there a setting that i'm still missing to complete this move? 

Right click a game and edit it. Check its rom path and see if it is pointing to the correct rom path.

If it is not, select all games in that platform (ctrl+A) and then under Tools > File Management >Change Rom folder Path to update.

Hello, everything is pointed to the correct location.  But i still get the following errors when i try to start any Arcade rom.  Retroarch is in the correct menu path as my screen shot shows.  The Rom path never changed as those have always been on a different drive.  So it seems like there is some setting that i'm still missing to make this move.  

image.thumb.png.301616d0a31f88bce79a407110e6a5aa.png

image.thumb.png.5ae4896204cc06eef5e2d08dee254a04.png

Just to be 100% sure, while on the emulator edit page (the one you screenshot above), click on the Browse button next to the application path, then browse to the drive/path you have your retroarch.exe file located (in your user/appdata/roaming folder it appears).  It's possible that the path listed there is not in the correct syntax to see the actual location of the retroarch.exe file in your main appdata folder.... not sure this is the issue, but worth a try just to rule it out if anything :)

On 11/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, bgtaman said:

Hello, everything is pointed to the correct location.  But i still get the following errors when i try to start any Arcade rom.  Retroarch is in the correct menu path as my screen shot shows.  The Rom path never changed as those have always been on a different drive.  So it seems like there is some setting that i'm still missing to make this move.  

image.thumb.png.301616d0a31f88bce79a407110e6a5aa.png

image.thumb.png.5ae4896204cc06eef5e2d08dee254a04.png

Just curious, but if you right click one of the games, and go to the Emulation section, is it showing the correct emulator entry?

15 hours ago, CDBlue said:

Just to be 100% sure, while on the emulator edit page (the one you screenshot above), click on the Browse button next to the application path, then browse to the drive/path you have your retroarch.exe file located (in your user/appdata/roaming folder it appears).  It's possible that the path listed there is not in the correct syntax to see the actual location of the retroarch.exe file in your main appdata folder.... not sure this is the issue, but worth a try just to rule it out if anything :)

Hello, when i click on the browse it opens up a window to locate retroarch but it's not the correct location. So I now pointed to the correct Retroarch location. Now i get a new error when trying to run the game. "An error occurred while trying to launch the game: The requested operation requires elevation" This changed something, but not sure what this error means now? 

image.thumb.png.d884cbb5d49e0015a4a9edb10036fc65.png

image.thumb.png.2944c7a3974c8f86925a649d5e456273.png

25 minutes ago, faeran said:

Just curious, but if you right click one of the games, and go to the Emulation section, is it showing the correct emulator entry?

Hi it does appear to be showing retroarch.  However now after pointing to retroarch i get the error "An error occurred while trying to launch the game: The requested operation requires elevation" 

image.thumb.png.349b14fdd7760a740e773c78bf85bc74.png

image.png.c9d2465de563e69274e2f581b31c80d3.png

2 minutes ago, bgtaman said:

Hi it does appear to be showing retroarch.  However now after pointing to retroarch i get the error "An error occurred while trying to launch the game: The requested operation requires elevation" 

This may hint at a windows permission issue. Probably worth checking that the entire LaunchBox folder has the correct user permissions.

2 hours ago, faeran said:

This may hint at a windows permission issue. Probably worth checking that the entire LaunchBox folder has the correct user permissions.

That was it!  I had to add full permission to the folder and it works now.  I still had to manually add the location of Retroarch and a couple other emulators.  But it's working now.  It just was not as easy as copy and place as I was lead to believe. You still have to do some configuring.  Maybe not for all, but for me, I had to do these added steps.  Thanks!

• 8 months later...