LaunchBox Community Forums

Cannot move data location

Neil Aubin

I want to move the data location to my USB flash drive due to the size. I am using Amazon Fire TV Cube.

I used a file utility to copy over the contents from the internal storage to the USB flash. But when I go to change the settings in Launchbox then I get an error: 

Android is not granting read and write permissions to the folder you've specified. 

I went into my file utility (ES Explorer) and it is saying that there are read/write permissions on the folder on the flash. I have also checked that the app has read/write permissions for storage. 

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

• 1 month later...

@Neil Aubin @Kuro Houou We've seen this odd issue with some lower-end devices that are just not quite configured correctly. Unfortunately we don't have a solution currently, outside of some strategic file placement. On these older devices, you should be able to place the ROM files on the SD card and import them from there, but the media and XML files unfortunately don't work on the SD card and have to be on internal storage.

• Like 1

Thanks Jason. Let me scrub it all, load the new beta, and try to do an import direct from the usb memory card and will let you know how it goes. I assume the app will place the xml and media files automatically on the internal storage. I assume that media includes the new video files... which is a shame. I think for me it just means a tightly currated set of games rather than dumping entire sets. 

6 hours ago, Neil Aubin said:

Thanks Jason. Let me scrub it all, load the new beta, and try to do an import direct from the usb memory card and will let you know how it goes. I assume the app will place the xml and media files automatically on the internal storage. I assume that media includes the new video files... which is a shame. I think for me it just means a tightly currated set of games rather than dumping entire sets. 

Yeah, you may want to use a different device, if at all possible. It will automatically place them in internal storage.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, you may want to use a different device, if at all possible. It will automatically place them in internal storage.

I've run into this issue as well. Please update your software to support these awesome little devices (Retroid Pocket 2+). DIG lets me place ROMS and metadata on the SD card, LaunchBox should as well.

1 hour ago, BrandonG777 said:

I've run into this issue as well. Please update your software to support these awesome little devices (Retroid Pocket 2+). DIG lets me place ROMS and metadata on the SD card, LaunchBox should as well.

Well, if I can get a hold of one at some point, I might be able to fix it. But until then, it's not possible to fix. The problem with Android is that it is incredibly fractured; many manufacturers do a poor job of implementing Android, and thus often need hacks in order to get things like this working. But of course it's not possible for us to get a hold of every single handheld device out there.

Understood. I know the Syncthing dev has been fighting this as well. I'm open to doing a remote session with ADB if that would help at all but I also understand fixing a bug that only 2 users are complaining about probably isn't the best use of your time either. Love LaunchBox and would love to be able to export my stuff to the SD card, pop it in and go but I'm working around it and making it work. I very much appreciate all the hard work that has already gone into this project and despite this issue I still thinks it's one of the best options out there. Anyway, if I can help, short of mailing my device to, just reach out.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, BrandonG777 said:

Understood. I know the Syncthing dev has been fighting this as well. I'm open to doing a remote session with ADB if that would help at all but I also understand fixing a bug that only 2 users are complaining about probably isn't the best use of your time either. Love LaunchBox and would love to be able to export my stuff to the SD card, pop it in and go but I'm working around it and making it work. I very much appreciate all the hard work that has already gone into this project and despite this issue I still thinks it's one of the best options out there. Anyway, if I can help, short of mailing my device to, just reach out.

Thanks much. If it was relatively easy to remote debug over ADB, I'd probably go ahead with that, but I don't think it's going to be very straightforward to do over the net. We'd probably have to set up a VPN or something like that. On top of that, we're also using Visual Studio so it's not quite so easy to debug straight over ADB, unfortunately.

You know after a playing with this a bit more I realized that the ROMS can indeed live on the SD card, just the metadata images that are being forced to my internal storage. This device has 32GB internal storage, so like 24GB useable storage. With my 128GB microSD card it seems to be working out for me. Skipping the download on the movies and might do some further pruning to just keep the images I really want. Really don't care that much about the backgrounds and haven't seen screenshots show up anywhere. I even prefer the plain text list over the clear logos because it's easier to quickly navigate to whatever I'm looking for. Would like to see options for default view and what images get auto downloaded but all things considered it's a really polished look with a great feel for popping between games. Would like shoulders or triggers to page up/down to make things just a bit more convenient trying to get through hundreds of titles.  

Also, the SD card can be formatted as internal storage so I may go back and test that at some point. This way the device could be plugged in and desktop Launchbox content can be copied over using the wizard. The big drawback with this method is the device severely limits the speed of the transfers.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to have everything I need on the SD card itself. Could even have a system or two on one card and other systems on another that you could easily switch between.  Still, this device has really exceeded every expectation I have in a $100 device (Unlike it's predecessor, Pocket 2, let me down in many ways). Launchbox Android is just the icing on the cake.

I use Syncthing to sync my save states between devices, that way I can save my game on the Retroid and pickup on my Windows PC. As long as the ROMs have the same name in both places everything gets named as it should. Be really slick if this was built into both versions of Launchbox.

4032-3024-max.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, viking said:

@BrandonG777 I'm also waiting for my Retroid pocket 2+ and I'm going to have the same problem of choosing what to do with my SDcard.

I would like to place everything on the SD card (256GB). I think format SD as a internal storage.

Have you tested? If configured like internal storage, no problem for Lauchbox on the SDcard? @Jason Carr

Thx !!!

i haven't tested it yet because I had my RP2 setup like that and made copying over new content a real pain. I'm pretty sure the export wizard within Launchbox desktop would work if you formatted as internal storage. Your transfer speeds will suck but might make up for it not having to actually import everything manually. 

Honestly, I always spend so much time tweaking these kinds of things I'm really just trying to enjoy the games this go round. Right now images on internal storage and ROMs on SD is working well for me.

@BrandonG777 Yes, with the internal SDcard, transfers are long. But I will only have one big upload to do. I can deal with.

Leave the SD externally, it works, but I'm afraid for the weight of media/video files for 256GB of games. if it OK, I won't have any more room for Android apps/games!

Waiting the devices, I prepare my roms selection and anticipate the best possible start! 😉

Edited by viking

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Was happy to have Launchbox on Android but now experiencing this issue on both Retroid Pocket 2+ and Anbernic RG552, the Anbernic had been updated to run Android 9 Aosp but still having the issue. 

My roms are saved on 512gb SD card and can access fine but I want my media on there too so my device is not full up with videos.