LaunchBox Community Forums

Dreamstate's - 4K and 8K - Realistic Vertical MAME Overlays

Dreamstate

14 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Thx for your work, amazing as always

Got question why yours marguees have sometimes cutted horizontally or vertically ?

14 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Glad you appreciate the posts. Proper perspective. If the CPO has the sides cut off because it is closer to the viewer then so will the marquee. I think It looks funny to put the entire marquee in view when this is not what you would be seeing in reality. Just a personal preference. You can always just slap one on you like better using your image editing software.

On 4/4/2022 at 1:38 PM, BlackTiger said:

interesting point of view,

have you consider to make a video tutorial for image editing maybe someone may learn something

and help you support this project

Yes, not only interesting but proper and correct unless you are 20 feet away and photographing the cab with a zoom lens. And then the entire cab looks funny and 2 dimensional. Depth and a sense of reality are lost when you squish everything into the confines of a 16:9 frame. I make my overlays look like the viewer is looking at a cab from a normal playing distance or a few feet away. If you want to see what i mean, download some photos of arcade cabs straight on like my overlays look. Take those photos and zoom in when you have a vertical 16:9 view until the edges of the bezel touch the sides. I'll bet that the sides of the cpo and marquee are cut off. That's because both the cpo and marquee are closer to you. And In fact this is what i usually do to get the proper perspective for cabs, I use photos as reference under my work so my work looks realistic. Check out the photos I've attached for reference. Doing this prevents my work from looking off. For example, there's a better chance my joystick ball tops will be the right size, that they won't be the size of tennis balls like i see on other peoples overlays. That everything will be the proper size and look like it's existing in a real 3 dimensional environment rather than in some fantasy world where things look wacky or off.

I really don't have the time to instructional videos, and pretty soon I won't even be able to regularly post overlays here. There's mountains of instructional PS tutorials out there that will give you volumes more skills than I could ever possibly teach you anyway.

1.jpg

2.png

Edited by Dreamstate