LaunchBox Community Forums

Considering Dropping RocketLauncher

tribe fan

So I've hit a bit of a crossroads and am having a difficult time coming to a decision. LaunchBox has FINALLY reached a point in its development where I must seriously consider dropping RocketLauncher. I STILL like the way RL handles fade and bezels (it's more seamless than LB/BB), but it introduces an extremely large layer of extra complexity by using a separate app to manage launching duties. Plus, I actually like the way LB/BB insists on running emus full screen. It results in a slightly less seamless booting experience, but it's really the optimal way to run emus on a big screen in my opinion. While RL still works great, its development has stalled to pretty much nonexistent in recent years. Forum users still offer module updates and workarounds which keep RL fully functional for the most part, but LB/BB definitely wins when it comes to support and prospects for future development. For those still using RL, I'm just wondering what's keeping you from completely transitioning away?

Edited by tribe fan

The one thing I still use RL for is for Teknoparrot/JConfig games. 

It's window detection for fades is more complex than LB's timed startup screens and provides a cleaner solution for those type games. Most of my emu needs are met using Retroarch so RL isn't needed for bezels and in non Retroarch cases, reshade with bezels fills the void.

I mostly use RocketLauncher for adding bezels to Gamecube games running on Dolphin (Resident Evil 2 and 3 with HD textures and other 4:3 only games) and also for old pc games that have very poor or no gamepad support (Manhunt, Prince of Persia trilogy, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Assassin's Creed, etc).

Since I have RL running just fine and don't even mess with it that much I don't feel to need to eliminate it.

For key mapping, I like xpadder. 

For bezels, you might take a look at the ReShade manager plugin that nohero and I built. It will let you add bezels to Dolphin and a few other emulators/applications. It’s still a bit rudimentary, I want to go back and take a 2nd pass at it to improve the user experience but it gets the job done.