LaunchBox Community Forums

What Is the Most Accurate CRT TV Shader and Accurate Aspect Ratio?

ChristopherNeff

40 minutes ago, Christopher Neff said:

Wait, you use MAME standalone instead of the MAMA RA Core? But doesn't RA have just as many, if not more, bezels and artwork than MAME does? Or can't you just download and use the MAME Bezels in RA or are they different than the overlays/borders that you can apply and customize in RA?

Retroarch bezels are not compatible with MAME bezels, most sane people use standalone MAME for arcade and not Retroarch because its less troublesome, especially controls wise. As for the bezels themselves id guess there are far more out there for mame itself than there is for mame in retroarch, you need to remember that mame has been around over 20 years, retroarch, not so much.

39 minutes ago, Christopher Neff said:

Wait, you use MAME standalone instead of the MAMA RA Core? But doesn't RA have just as many, if not more, bezels and artwork than MAME does? Or can't you just download and use the MAME Bezels in RA or are they different than the overlays/borders that you can apply and customize in RA?

You said you like the RA shaders more, `so can't you just use them in MAME as well? Aren't those shaders universally compatible with pretty much all Emulators if you use something like ReShade etc?

Yep standalone Mame is much better in my opinion, there are a lot of bezels out there for retroarch but you'll have to adjust each screen x and y for those manually. Unless you prefer user made bezels that use full screen video but have manual art at the sides.

Nope you cant use RA shaders in mame standalone.

22 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Retroarch bezels are not compatible with MAME bezels, most sane people use standalone MAME for arcade and not Retroarch because its less troublesome, especially controls wise. As for the bezels themselves id guess there are far more out there for mame itself than there is for mame in retroarch, you need to remember that mame has been around over 20 years, retroarch, not so much.

What are you talking about? You have it the other way around. It's RA MAME that is the less troublesome one than standalone MAME. So, sane people would be using the core.

Cores are superior to all standalone emulators cuz they strip out all the BS and bloatware and give you just the pure, raw greatness of that emulator. Stand alone emulators are vastly inferior to RA's Cores and are obsolete and a thing of the past. Soon, RA will be all you need for anything at all.

And you said Standalone MAME is better than RA's core, controller wise, but you have that the other way around too. When you use standalone MAME, you have to manually configure the entire controller by manually mapping each controller button and stick, and doing it from the main menu before launching a game doesn't work either. No, you have to additionally remap the controller WHILE you are in the actual game itself because if you do it from the main menu before loading a game up, then all you configured was the main menu controls. So you have to remap the entire controller for each individual game.

Whereas with RA's core, the controllers are just automatically mapped for you from the get go. Load any MAME game and the controllers are automatically good to go, mapped for that particular game.

Standalone MAME always required way more configuration, especially back when they were command line only. RA's Core is literally just plug and play so to speak. You download the core, load it up, launch the game and you're good to go. No configurations or controller mappings needed. The core is vastly superior and more simplified than the standalone by a long shot.

5 minutes ago, Christopher Neff said:

What are you talking about? You have it the other way around. It's RA MAME that is the less troublesome one than standalone MAME. So, sane people would be using the core.

Ha ha, you clearly dont have much experience using them both. The retroarch core has the standard mame UI in it, and then the retroarch UI overlayed on top of that, so you have two different UI fighting with each other for what UI is in charge, this mostly manifests in controller issues with mame trying to use its settings, and retroarch trying to use its settings.

9 minutes ago, Christopher Neff said:

Cores are superior to all standalone emulators cuz they strip out all the BS and bloatware and give you just the pure, raw greatness of that emulator. Stand alone emulators are vastly inferior to RA's Cores and are obsolete and a thing of the past. Soon, RA will be all you need for anything at all.

Wow, i have not heard such rubbish in a long long time, that is simply a completely incorrect statement, i suggest you do more research, as this statement as well as your "i want the most accurate CRT shader" question tells me you really do not know what you are talking about here.

11 minutes ago, Christopher Neff said:

Whereas with RA's core, the controllers are just automatically mapped for you from the get go. Load any MAME game and the controllers are automatically good to go, mapped for that particular game.

Not true either, yes they are mapped, but for "general" they are not mapped on a game basis, now you try remapping those as the "general" can be a awful setup for some games, and you will see the control issues i was referring too.

12 minutes ago, Christopher Neff said:

Standalone MAME always required way more configuration, especially back when they were command line only. RA's Core is literally just plug and play so to speak

As is standalone mame, put your roms in the mame/roms folder, and load a game from its UI, hardly tricky stuff.

13 minutes ago, Christopher Neff said:

The core is vastly superior and more simplified than the standalone by a long shot.

Simplified is not always better, in fact far from it, options are good, how you can say that a emulator that REMOVES features is better than one that doesn't, boggles my mind.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Christopher Neff said:

And you said Standalone MAME is better than RA's core, controller wise, but you have that the other way around too. When you use standalone MAME, you have to manually configure the entire controller by manually mapping each controller button and stick, and doing it from the main menu before launching a game doesn't work either. No, you have to additionally remap the controller WHILE you are in the actual game itself because if you do it from the main menu before loading a game up, then all you configured was the main menu controls. So you have to remap the entire controller for each individual game.

Standalone MAME always required way more configuration, especially back when they were command line only. RA's Core is literally just plug and play so to speak. You download the core, load it up, launch the game and you're good to go. No configurations or controller mappings needed. The core is vastly superior and more simplified than the standalone by a long shot.

So, you compare them just by controls setup?  🤣

First off, cores are forked versions ( sometimes unauthorized ) of standalone emulators and mostly of the times they work bad compared to standalone simply because who forked them know less than who created/builded.

Many core versions are really bad compared to genuine standalone and MAME core is a good example of this ( emulating Seattle/Vegas system with core version is really bad compared to standalone but there are other examples as well ).

Citra, Dolphin, PCSX2 core versions are other bad cores that come to my mind.

And, if there was no standalone version, the core version would never have been released. 

CHEERs

13 hours ago, nohero said:

So, you compare them just by controls setup?  🤣

First off, cores are forked versions ( sometimes unauthorized ) of standalone emulators and mostly of the times they work bad compared to standalone simply because who forked them know less than who created/builded.

Many core versions are really bad compared to genuine standalone and MAME core is a good example of this ( emulating Seattle/Vegas system with core version is really bad compared to standalone but there are other examples as well ).

Citra, Dolphin, PCSX2 core versions are other bad cores that come to my mind.

And, if there was no standalone version, the core version would never have been released. 

CHEERs

"Citra, Dolphin, PCSX2 core versions are other bad cores that come to my mind."

What's wrong with the Citra, and Dolphin cores? And you can't bring up PCSX2 Core because it is still in alpha/beta. You can't compare the two until the core is finished and finalized. That is not a fair comparison.

"First off, cores are forked versions ( sometimes unauthorized ) of standalone emulators and mostly of the times they work bad compared to standalone simply because who forked them know less than who created/builded."

Unauthorized or authorized doesn't exist and is irrelevant for open source software. There is no such thing as authorization when it's open sourced. A creator of something open source doesn't really have any legal rights to it other than that whoever takes it and forks it or includes it in something or changes it, or whatever they do to it, is legally required to link to the original creator and include the original Copy Left license/GPL or whatever it's called. That's the only legal right a creator to something open source has.

You aren't legally required to get the authorization of the original creator of something open sourced to fork it. Literally anyone at all can legally fork, edit, modify, or do whatever they want to any open source project they feel like so long as they credit the original creator and include the original Copy Left license/GPL in it.

In fact, you can even legally charge money for your own version of something open sourced that someone else made or make money on it or include it in a paid program, software or service so long as you credit the original creator and include the original Copy Left license/GPL and you don't even have to ask permission either, nor give a cut to the OG creator.

Like, if we use Linux as an example, I can legally take Ubuntu or some other distro, make one little tiny change to it, call it something else and then sell it to people as my own OS so long as I credit the original creator of Ubuntu that my derivative is inspired from and include the Copy Left license/GPL with it.

Edited by Christopher Neff

Wow, this thread devolved to be even more ridiculous than it was already.

An emulator core in Retroarch is not inherently better or worse than the stand alone version it is ported from. It really is a core by core basis which may or may not be superior. Also, the reasons for one being superior to the other depends on the end users needs.

I am now closing this thread.