LaunchBox Community Forums

January 2022 Server Updates

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr Well things just got worse for me here in the UK, gone backwards close to how it was before the move to the Netherlands hosting.  Seeing very slow speeds, 5mins to get the newest beta, and the update meta was slow as well, not quite as slow as it was a few years ago, but very noticable. I get why stuff needs to change, but it wasn't an enjoyable time back then, and im hoping it doesn't fall back to the same levels. 

Im on a gigabit fibre, with no issues, tested files from around the world just to make sure, and speeds were all very reasonble. 

Edited by MadK9

2 hours ago, MadK9 said:

@Jason Carr Well things just got worse for me here in the UK, gone backwards close to how it was before the move to the Netherlands hosting.  Seeing very slow speeds, 5mins to get the newest beta, and the update meta was slow as well, not quite as slow as it was a few years ago, but very noticable. I get why stuff needs to change, but it wasn't an enjoyable time back then, and im hoping it doesn't fall back to the same levels. 

Im on a gigabit fibre, with no issues, tested files from around the world just to make sure, and speeds were all very reasonble.

Unfortunately there's always going to be tradeoffs, unless we have servers all over the world, which would be prohibitively expensive. 5 minutes to download a 250MB update might seem like a long time, but users in the US were sometimes seeing updates take a half hour for that same 250MB file because the servers were in the Netherlands, which was borderline unacceptable. Those deep-sea cables can only transfer so well, apparently, though I would have hoped for better speeds. The speeds may improve in the future, but unfortunately we can only do what we can do.

13 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately there's always going to be tradeoffs, unless we have servers all over the world, which would be prohibitively expensive. 5 minutes to download a 250MB update might seem like a long time, but users in the US were sometimes seeing updates take a half hour for that same 250MB file because the servers were in the Netherlands, which was borderline unacceptable. Those deep-sea cables can only transfer so well, apparently, though I would have hoped for better speeds. The speeds may improve in the future, but unfortunately we can only do what we can do.

Yeah no worries Jason, it does seem to be a lot better today, i just had visions of it going back to the way it was with downloads going at like 30kb/s. So its all good.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dominikabra said:

Since most of what's being served is static content, have you considered some sort of CDN? The caching at edge would definitely improve download speeds for multiple regions and there are reasonably priced options out there.

Yes, we have considered CDNs. But considering the amount and total size of the media we serve, as well as the dynamic nature of the games database, it probably wouldn't be easy, nor would it be cheap.