LaunchBox Community Forums

January 2022 Server Updates

Jason Carr

Hey all, we've decided to do our best to upgrade our servers and provide the fastest media and application downloads as possible. Thankfully, availability in the market for high-bandwidth dedicated server hosting has much improved in the last couple of years. Previously, all of our servers were hosted in The Netherlands, because of our high bandwidth requirements, as North American options were prohibitively expensive due to y'all downloading so much media. ;)

Going forward, we are in the process of moving to servers in the US. We're hoping that this will generally improve download speeds for everyone, especially those in various areas of the world where speeds were not ideal. We're figuring that the US is most likely just better connected in general.

We have three dedicated servers total (not virtual machines, actual bare-metal servers). We've already moved the games database website and all image downloads over to a new server, so hopefully you're already seeing improved download speeds while downloading images in LaunchBox, and improved website performance on the games database website.

This new server has 2 Intel Xeon CPUs, 20 CPU cores, 40 threads, and excellent specs all around. Let us know how it's performing for you. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

I don't understand people staying on the free version, the bigbox mode is too useful to choose a game for kids or people doesn't know games. But it requires a lot of work if we want to get a perfect setup with a lot of games (front box, ingame video...). I'm working on it over a year, especially because some video was not found on emumovie. I have done over 1000 ingame video...

Edited by thewhite
  • Like 1

LaunchBox для компа, BigBox для ТВ.

Среди множества подобных программ, LaunchBox - лучшая. Поэтому сразу приобрёл вечную лицензию и с удовольствием пользуюсь. В том числе и на Android.

Чего лично мне не хватает - это какой-нибудь мини-панели, куда можно будет выводить нужные мне функции. К примеру, я вручную добавляю обложки для всех игр. Соответственно, мне приходится выбирать: Ctrl + E - Изображения - затем выбирать нужную.

Проще было бы вывести возможность сразу загружать нужное изображение, выбрав игру. 

И так далее, подобные мелочи бы очень и очень помогли в работе с LaunchBox.

Edited by ReiKatari

Please post in English even if it's using Google translate.

"LaunchBox for comp, BigBox for TV. Among the many similar programs, LaunchBox is the best. Therefore, I immediately purchased a perpetual license and use it with pleasure. Including on Android. What I personally lack is some kind of mini-panel where I can display the functions I need. For example, I manually add covers for all games. Accordingly, I have to choose: Ctrl + E - Images - then select the desired one. It would be easier to display the ability to immediately download the desired image by selecting the game. And so on, little things like that would be very, very helpful in working with LaunchBox."

18 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Пожалуйста, публикуйте на английском языке, даже если он использует переводчик Google.

«LaunchBox для компа, БигБокс для ТВ. Среди множества подобных программ LaunchBox является лучшим. Поэтому я сразу приобрел бессрочную лицензию и пользуюсь ею с удовольствием. В том числе и на Android. Чего мне лично не хватает, так это какой-то мини-панели, где я могу отображать нужные мне функции. Например, я вручную добавляю обложки для всех игр. Соответственно, я должен выбрать: Ctrl + E - Изображения - затем выбрать нужный. Было бы проще отобразить возможность сразу скачать нужное изображение, выбрав игру. И так далее, такие мелочи были бы очень, очень полезны в работе с LaunchBox».

Ok, sorry!

We just completed the migration of the main www web server, which hosts the main LaunchBox website as well as all application and theme video downloads. So hopefully we'll see the same download speed improvements across the board as we saw with the games database server.

Now on to the forums server...

• Like 3

If you ever feel adventurous, Discourse (the forum software founded by Jeff Atwood of Coding Horror fame) is very fun and flexible to use and comes highly recommended. (For one, it encourages using read time, meaning listening, instead of post count, or talking, to establish user reputation, and boy how many talking heads would this get to straighten their act up! 🤣) I am using Discourse right now as the new home for a well-frequented forum (forum.TabletPCReview.com community members are migrating forum.TabletPC.review which I operate) after the controlling interest, the tech marketing company TechTarget, decided to pull the plug on it and all the rest of the TechnologyGuide family of sites (bye, bye, Brighthand and NotebookReviews).

Edited by Hifihedgehog

On 1/24/2022 at 4:05 PM, Hifihedgehog said:

If you ever feel adventurous, Discourse (the forum software founded by Jeff Atwood of Coding Horror fame) is very fun and flexible to use and comes highly recommended. (For one, it encourages using read time, meaning listening, instead of post count, or talking, to establish user reputation, and boy how many talking heads would this get to straighten their act up! 🤣) I am using Discourse right now as the new home for a well-frequented forum (forum.TabletPCReview.com community members are migrating forum.TabletPC.review which I operate) after the controlling interest, the tech marketing company TechTarget, decided to pull the plug on it and all the rest of the TechnologyGuide family of sites (bye, bye, Brighthand and NotebookReviews).

Looks cool, but doesn't really seem to be anything worth switching to, in all honesty.

• Like 1