LaunchBox Community Forums

Scala | Big Box Theme (searching for developers)

Zazamastro

Hi everyone,

In life I am a creative director and mainly I do not deal with development, but I am an avid gamer and I love BigBox. So I decided to design a BigBox theme that would be pleasing to the eye and could be a potential hit for the platform. If anyone is interested I leave these layouts with attached images and psd files. If you are interested in collaborating, do not hesitate to contact me.

1343327857_ScalaLogo.thumb.png.c181e8471043111e591f5b25ad127de6.png

The theme would be structured with a horizontal platform menu at the top of the screen always visible both in the platform wheel and in the game wheel, almost as if it were a ladder (hence the name "Scala" in Italian means ladder and it's also the name of Teatro La Scala di Milano, the theme will represent the elegance and extension of the prestigious Theater).

469753357_SCALAPLATFORMSELECTIONNINTENDOSWITCH.thumb.jpg.94058e56b5364354410aa89e24e9d263.jpg1827564230_SCALAPLATFORMSELECTIONWINDOWS.thumb.jpg.f87a45b867cd2369563fdc0093a9035d.jpg335315502_SCALAGAMEWHEELGAMESELECTION.thumb.jpg.9f357df88ccd97735ac7e2339b48854d.jpg

The games are therefore the soul of the theme, and find ample space to show game trailers and fanart backgrounds.

1717211086_SCALAGAMEWHEELFanartBackground.thumb.jpg.5d581edce6ed5c5d65c75435f3c5905d.jpg1005703862_SCALAGAMEWHEELFanartBackgroundSONIC.thumb.jpg.9006cc34f69e8ed5972f2265cd88a921.jpg237364908_SCALAGAMEVIEWTrailerBackgroundSONIC.thumb.jpg.ef3ff4dfcb02ade65d335902ebdc2e1c.jpg

The font used is the SFPro that I leave attached should you be interested in the creation of Scala SFPro.zip.

Attached you will find a zip containing all the project screens and the PSD files with all the levels named with their descriptions and divided into folders SCALA.zip.

Thank you very much for the attention, I really hope you like it.

fanart.thumb.jpg.b1f14d93758e6c9c66e6a8160b334b10.jpg

The alpha version of Scala is finally out!

Edited by Zazamastro
  • Like 7
  • Unusual Gem 2

• Zazamastro changed the title to Scala | Big Box Theme (searching for developers)
2 hours ago, Ba6yhulk said:

I'm watching this closely. This looks gorgeous!

At the moment we're working hard, but the community theme creator have some limits and we're looking for some workarounds. 

If anyone knows how to code and wants to participate please let us know. We're open to anyone who wants to help.

Following this, looks really clean. Other themes haven't really caught my eye and have been using other frontends because of it. Ive tried using the theme creator but get no where. I'm more of a art, video, logo grabber. 

Looking forward to what this becomes 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shermo said:

Following this, looks really clean. Other themes haven't really caught my eye and have been using other frontends because of it. Ive tried using the theme creator but get no where. I'm more of a art, video, logo grabber. 

Looking forward to what this becomes 

The release of the alpha version is closer than you think! Of course it will be a first version and the aim is to reach the quality of the original mockup, but the theme is already pretty nice, so we want to share it as soon as possible in order to get feedback and possibly help with development.

46 minutes ago, Rlad said:

This looks really high quality, the problem with the fanart view is the database is severely lacking in quality fanart backgrounds.

Yah maybe a high quality overall platform fanart to fall back on?

but yah theme looks stunning  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zazamastro said:

The release of the alpha version is closer than you think! Of course it will be a first version and the aim is to reach the quality of the original mockup, but the theme is already pretty nice, so we want to share it as soon as possible in order to get feedback and possibly help with development.

Good to know, be good to have a look. 

1 hour ago, Rlad said:

This looks really high quality, the problem with the fanart view is the database is severely lacking in quality fanart backgrounds.

Google and set it to find art at 1920x1080 as long as you don't do full sets you can easily find most, if not grab box art and use resizing programs. Have a fairly hefty supply of fanart from previous fe's and current one

Besides t he missing "horizontal platform menu at the top of the screen always visible" which I am unable to include (if someone knows how this can be done please pm me) I managed to make most layouts similar to  @Zazamastro templates and also added (custom) badge rows (instructions will follow - you'll only need to edit the BadgeName so it matches your plugin .dll file).
Excluding the wall view which you manually have to overwrite the skin  c an be solely edited with the COMMUNITY Theme Creator :). @Zazamastro also did a nice fitting startup video for the theme making the transition to BigBox more seamless. Below are some screenshots how it currently looks inside BigBox - release will be this week most likely.

BigBox_2022020115-_-09_19181.jpg

BigBox_2022020115-_-07_48207.jpg

BigBox_2022020115-_-07_59983.jpg

BigBox_2022020115-_-08_25988.jpg

BigBox_2022020115-_-09_09580.jpg

BigBox_2022020115-_-24_49696.jpg

• Like 1
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

40 minutes ago, Rlad said:

Looks good but seems to have lost some of the simplicity from the original design, the area around the play button looks a little haphazard. The mock ups are cleaner and have more symmetry.

I know. At the moment @Benuno is doing everything on development but we still need help to reach the original mock-ups. A hand would be really appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Rlad said:

Looks good but seems to have lost some of the simplicity from the original design, the area around the play button looks a little haphazard. The mock ups are cleaner and have more symmetry.

Around the play button you don't see most of the badges at once and currently the lower badges row is only for custom badges. Also we have to decide how to display missing game info as the placement can look of when for example the age rating is missing. For whatever reason I couldn't get my BigBox install to show only 2 rows - therefore the main wall view is 5x3 currently. I can make copies of each view with disabled badges to make it look more clean as another option to select inside BigBox.

1 hour ago, Benuno said:

Also we have to decide how to display missing game info as the placement can look of when for example the age rating is missing.

I think you can put them both in a frame so the genre info would left align if there was no rating. You can also set a fallback i think so if there is no rating it displays 'N/A' or 'No Rating' for example.

Edited by Rlad
  • Like 1

@Zazamastro is currently busy, so the latest current files are available here for download attached to this comment!

This version includes much needed performance improvements, new alternative wall view, a lot of BigBox settings overwrites for intended experience (wheel easing = off, wheel speed= 100ms most important) as well as minor layout improvements. Blurred background videos from wall view were removed due to heavy gpu usage, will be re-added later as an alternative option to select from inside bigbox.

I recommend trying out to use Windows Media Player (with K-Lite Codec Pack installed) instead of VLC inside the BigBox settings, as it potentially reduces CPU usage (on my Laptop at least).

All visual bugs should be fixed now! If not pls let me know.

1759003251_SCALA0.9.2.zip

Edited by Benuno
added alternative wall view, fixed horizontal search wheel, fixed textfilterview flicker, reduced startup video size
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adu said:

Is this theme 720p compliant ? Or only 1080p and higher ?

Tried it with 720p 16:9, all looks as intended except for the listview selected item border which needs to be fixed (slight wobble/calculation seems to be resolution dependent)