LaunchBox Community Forums

Scala | Big Box Theme (searching for developers)

Zazamastro

On 2/2/2022 at 12:27 AM, Zazamastro said:

Ehy everybody! 

The alpha version of Scala is out right now!
Let us know what do you think of it.

Hi! 

First of all, thanks for this theme, elegant and clean!

I'm testing 0.9.2 on a LG OLED 65'' TV (1920x1080) and here my feedback:

- With Horizontal Wheel 1 view the search bar is misaligned to the right so the letters from V are cut

- In wall view there is no video preview but the sound of video can be heard in the background... weird

Complimenti in ogni caso, è già un tema usabilissimo! ^_^

14 hours ago, ArcadeGuru said:

Hi! 

- With Horizontal Wheel 1 view the search bar is misaligned to the right so the letters from V are cut

- In wall view there is no video preview but the sound of video can be heard in the background... weird

Complimenti in ogni caso, è già un tema usabilissimo! ^_^

Thank you so much for the feedbacks!

Grazie mille davvero! C'è davvero tanto lavoro da fare e alcune cose di cui dobbiamo verificare la fattibilità, nel mentre io ho davanti trasloco in casa, matrimonio e lavoro.
Che tempismo buttarci anche dentro il tema di Big Box eh? Meraviglia.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ArcadeGuru said:

Hi! 

Congratulations in any case, it is already a very usable theme! ^_^

1. Yeah you are right - thx for mentioning it (the Community theme creator showed it me different than inside bigbox if i remember correctly :S) will fix it. Btw set both bigbox.exe settings dpi scaling to system(advanced) if your windows dpi setting is over 100% to fix scaling issues. Edit: already fixed it, attached to the upload comment on first page.

2. I have hidden the video in the latest 0.9.2 wall view 1 as the real-time video blurring takes quite a gpu perfomance hit (50% gpu usage on my gtx 1070) which is just too much for lower spec-pcs (with hidden video we have like 1-2% gpu usage) and also not great if you are multitasking. Wall View 2 now has a tiny video window instead.

Edited by Benuno

Hi,

I'm a noob at using skins for BigBox, but really like the look of Scala so went ahead and downloaded it (and the updated 0.9.2 files), copied the scala folder to the Themes directory. The Scala theme is now selectable in the Manage Themes menu. However, when I activate the theme in BigBox, I'm not able to see much difference. No horizontal platform menu, introductory video, etc. All views look much the same as Default.  Other themes work fine.

Should I be doing some manual tweaks to use this skin? I'm using Bigbox 12.7, latest update.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, or else a local issue not related to Scala....I've been trying all kinds of things but no success.

6 minutes ago, Sala_mander said:

Hi,

I'm a noob at using skins for BigBox, but really like the look of Scala so went ahead and downloaded it (and the updated 0.9.2 files), copied the scala folder to the Themes directory. The Scala theme is now selectable in the Manage Themes menu. However, when I activate the theme in BigBox, I'm not able to see much difference. No horizontal platform menu, introductory video, etc. All views look much the same as Default.  Other themes work fine.

Should I be doing some manual tweaks to use this skin? I'm using Bigbox 12.7, latest update.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, or else a local issue not related to Scala....I've been trying all kinds of things but no success.

You need to extract all the subfolders inside the main folder "scala" into your launchbox main directory including "themes", "videos" etc.

On 2/8/2022 at 3:04 PM, Benuno said:

Tried it with 720p 16:9, all looks as intended except for the listview selected item border which needs to be fixed (slight wobble/calculation seems to be resolution dependent)

Thanks ! I've tried the beta, it works flawlessly in 720p, and this theme is .... Wow .... Can't wait for the final version !

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, adu said:

Thanks ! I've tried the beta, it works flawlessly in 720p, and this theme is .... Wow .... Can't wait for the final version !

No Problem! @Zazamastro 's templates/fonts were clean and simple, only did small preference changes to the layout. In the latest uploads (on page 1) I could improve the performance during game scrolling by fading a duplicate of the menu background on top of the video/images instead of fading/triggering each element. Changing the opacity of a video takes much more performance than a static single image.

To all those who are writing to me for news about the original Scala theme, at the moment I am working with @Benuno to get as close as possible to the project mockups as they were conceived from the moment of the concept.

However, if anyone could share with us a platform wheel solution, it would help us enormously. Right now it's the only question we don't know how to answer. As always, I remind everyone that every collaboration will receive credit. 

1289535328_LaunchBoxBigBox14_02_202214_21_18.jpg.dcb57ca03a07955e315294ac649a534b.jpg

709103224_LaunchBoxBigBox14_02_202214_24_20.jpg.a228f1672ec8944e432a5002efbf7d18.jpg

785593768_LaunchBoxBigBox14_02_202214_20_42.jpg.f12729e094c75474e6611559894f4621.jpg

783422672_LaunchBoxBigBox14_02_202214_17_08.jpg.699b07e0da50ec28d173c09c72c01702.jpg

55 minutes ago, Rlad said:

Have you asked @faeran about the platform wheel? He's most likely to know the answer.

At the moment we have circumnavigated the problem with a design solution that provides for the elimination of the platform wheel (and also gives an even more minimal touch). @Benuno tried to ask @faeran, but at the moment he couldn't do much with the information he gave us.

Anyway we are proceeding fast with the new version which should be the 1.0.

2 minutes ago, Zazamastro said:

At the moment we have circumnavigated the problem with a design solution that provides for the elimination of the platform wheel (and also gives an even more minimal touch). @Benuno tried to ask @faeran, but at the moment he couldn't do much with the information he gave us.

Anyway we are proceeding fast with the new version which should be the 1.0.

If I remember correctly, I do believe I gave 2 different solutions. If there are any specific questions regarding either of them, can always reply to the PM and I'll be glad to help.

6 minutes ago, faeran said:

If I remember correctly, I do believe I gave 2 different solutions. If there are any specific questions regarding either of them, can always reply to the PM and I'll be glad to help.

Thank you so much. As I said, I'm just a designer, while @Benuno is the one who takes care of the development part. I don't know himself and how he studied the possible options you gave us. But anyway I found a loophole, so we are all happy.

21 minutes ago, faeran said:

Yes, thanks a lot for the information! I am currently a bit too busy to continue having a look at it - my first attempts at drawing the platform wheel in other pages failed and I currently don't know/understand from the documentation.pdf (did not read that before) alone how that can be made possible.

So this release should fix the strange game wheel fade bug finally for anyone who had it too like me (still don't know the cause of it :S).

Also added another Game Wall option with covers fading away , edited the TextFilterView slightly to also have game number/console year, added @faeran's nice star rating from his CoverBox theme and fixed the bad badges placement - which is now finally horizontally stacked. Custom badges are immediately noticeable as they are displayed with darker gray.

If there are any bugs/layout inconsistencies/performance issues please tell us - I would like to have a good running/bug free version before we continue adjusting the layouts.

BigBox_2022021912-_-43_57997.jpg

BigBox_2022021912-_-44_19699.jpg

BigBox_2022021912-_-44_21675.jpg

BigBox_2022021912-_-44_27736.jpg

BigBox_2022021912-_-44_47137.jpg

441201173_SCALA0.9.3.zip

Edited by Benuno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Benuno said:

Finally fixed wrong playlist title in all game views (thx @faeran - I've used wrong the wrong variable path.)

Edit: Added requested alternative horizontal view according to @Taamo's mockup image :). 

Edit2: Now also fixed inconsistent filter list/game platform text placement for text game view.SCALA-0.9.4.zip

BigBox_2022030914-_-05_50605.jpg

grafik.png

BigBox_2022030914-_-09_34559.jpg

Excited to try this out! Thank you so much :)

• Game On 1

Hi guys, @Fry was so nice to make us a simple carousel view plugin for BigBox which makes it possible to see and select another platform/playlist inside a game view like in the original concept art from @Zazamastro!

Currently I adjusted it so you press the Escape button to activate the wheel, select the platform with left/right and press enter to confirm - like in any other platform/playlist menu. Also the plugin knows which playlist/platform you've entered so the wheel shows the current position correctly. As the refresh/redrawing is a bit buggy (my refresh code is not correct most likely) no release until that is fixed (below you see the wheel randomly won't redraw itself during selection).

If anyone has some knowledge concernig xaml wpf (animated) carousel views - please help us if possible :)! I would like to make this plugin later adjustable inside any view .xaml so everyone can use it with any theme without having to adjust the plugin's code.

Edited by Benuno
  • Like 2