LaunchBox Community Forums

Marquee transitions?

Benjc

Just seen in the LaunchBox 12.7 updates email that marquee transitions are now smoother. This came as a surprise to me as I didn’t even know there *were* marquee transitions in LaunchBox/BigBox, despite having used marquees for about a year now.

Does anyone know anything about this and how to enable it? I’ve googled the interwebs and there seems to be no mention of marquee transitions. The only reference to it is just this throwaway mention of it in the LaunchBox email :(

14 hours ago, Benjc said:

Just seen in the LaunchBox 12.7 updates email that marquee transitions are now smoother. This came as a surprise to me as I didn’t even know there *were* marquee transitions in LaunchBox/BigBox, despite having used marquees for about a year now.

Does anyone know anything about this and how to enable it? I’ve googled the interwebs and there seems to be no mention of marquee transitions. The only reference to it is just this throwaway mention of it in the LaunchBox email :(

It is not something that needs activating. It is just updated code to the software that has made marquees run a bit lighter on has less of a performance hit on low-end hardware. It has also reduced from flickering that would occur during image changes. This was most notable on users that were using a custom Marquee view that may have had multiple images/metadata showing on the marquee screen.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I’m confused why I’ve never had transitions in that case; one marquee image just quickly switches to another 🤔 Is there meant to be some smooth animation from one to another that simply happens by default?

1 minute ago, Benjc said:

Thanks for the reply. I guess I’m confused why I’ve never had transitions in that case; one marquee image just quickly switches to another 🤔 Is there meant to be some smooth animation from one to another that simply happens by default?

Yes, the images should quickly change with no noticeable flicker or lag. If the images quickly switched to the next one for you then you had no issues.

9 hours ago, Newlander said:

What Marquees are people using and where are they getting them from?

Many just use a standard monitor as a marquee. However, more and more we are seeing users take advantage of cut monitors like these to use as marquees. Which is why the new setting in BB allows a user to select the type of monitor being used to better situate the images on the screen. You can find them cheap on the Chinese marketplaces.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QGBL568/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294633671959?hash=item4499890d17:g:UyUAAOSwRoVfVygI

57 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Yes, the images should quickly change with no noticeable flicker or lag. If the images quickly switched to the next one for you then you had no issues.

Ah okay, I think I’m just misunderstanding ’transition’ then- I assumed this meant some kind of smooth, animated change from one marquee to the next like HyperMarquee offered back on Hyperspin. Hopefully, this’ll come to BigBox one day 🙂

Edited by Benjc

1 hour ago, Benjc said:

Ah okay, I think I’m just misunderstanding ’transition’ then- I assumed this meant some kind of smooth, animated change from one marquee to the next like HyperMarquee offered back on Hyperspin. Hopefully, this’ll come to BigBox one day 🙂

Never messed with Hyperspin so not sure on what you mean exactly. If you mean something like a smooth fade onto screen and fade off and other transition type movements that is already possible with theme coding.

This is not really a feature a lot of users have requested to have as a stock setting to tick. So if you are looking for some type of actual transition it would need to be coded into the PlatformMarqueeView..xml and the GameMarqueeView.xaml to use in a theme. Something that has been able to be done for several years now.

47 minutes ago, Benjc said:

Since I needed to integrate the marquee display into an upright arcade case I got a reasonably priced caseless ultra wide monitor from China. Something like this: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001659262454.html

The new version of theme creator you are ale to create a video transition to a static image and many other other elements.  Here's an rough example I created for my cabinet marquee screen. 

I look forward to playing with it more in the coming days.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Never messed with Hyperspin so not sure on what you mean exactly. If you mean something like a smooth fade onto screen and fade off that is already possible with theme coding. Not really a feature a lot of users have requested to have as a stock setting to tick. 

Ah… okay, I didn’t realise this had to be coded into a theme for anything beyond a straightforward marquee image swap. Will take a look into that- thanks🙂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Huntsmiester said:

The new version of theme creator you are ale to create a video transition to a static image and many other other elements.  Here's an rough example I created for my cabinet marquee screen. 

I look forward to playing with it more in the coming days.

Is this just transitions in terms of animating images in one marquee (as you show) or can it also transition (e.g. fade) from one game’s marquee to the next when you’re navigating between games?

16 minutes ago, Benjc said:

Is this just transitions in terms of animating images in one marquee (as you show) or can it also transition (e.g. fade) from one game’s marquee to the next when you’re navigating between games?

Yes, you can control how the images transition from game to game as well. CTC is pretty user friendly if you do not know how to code. Y2guru has developed that tool a ton since he started it. Some more creative things though you might have to manually do behind the scenes, but for the most part his theme creator is pretty robust. Our youtube channel Faeren has regular streams with him using the tool to create themes and shows a lot of what it can do.

• Like 1