LaunchBox Community Forums

Add Meta Quest as a Platform

Benuno

Could someone please add Meta Quest as a platform (like the Nintendo Virtual Boy)?

I am using the launchbox game database collection online to track my physical/digital games on consoles, therefore I would be thankful if someone could add the VR Headset family to the console list as there are  some exclusive titles (I would add the titles to the database myself).

You can always Add a game manually or edit a game you already have, and set the Platform to Meta Quest (or whatever you'd like to call it.

It should add it to your Platform and Platform Categories area. You can then Edit the Platform and make any changes to it you'd like.

15 hours ago, faeran said:

You can always Add a game manually or edit a game you already have, and set the Platform to Meta Quest (or whatever you'd like to call it.

It should add it to your Platform and Platform Categories area. You can then Edit the Platform and make any changes to it you'd like.

Ah I see, my bad - should have posted the request inside the "Contributions" section as linked on https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/add  . Should I repost it there? I really want the platform to be available on the Online Game Database, not locally - so everyone can track those games on any web browser/sync with the cloud.

With Meta Quest I mean the oculus quest ecosystem which got renamed from meta/facebook https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Quest

Edited by Benuno

• 4 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 11:02 PM, Retrofrogg said:

I'm adding some VR games just now too. What should the platform be called? Many games are cross-platform (HTC Vive, Oculus, etc) and so Meta Quest would seem too narrow a platform name?

I think as other people did to the Microsoft Windows platform unless they are PS4 or Meta Quest exclusive.

Adding them to the Windows platform is an option as some of the games run in Windows, though as you point out some are exclusive to the VR headset. Oculus can run independently without connection to a PC/Windows. Also, the games are fundamentally different due to being VR and requiring a VR headset.

I therefore think that having a separate VR platform in the database would be the optimal way to categorise this, rather than fusing them with the existing Windows platform. It would be possible to further split the VR platform into Oculus, HTC etc, though given the cross-platform compatibility I don't think this would be necessary. Obviously this is open to debate. Would be keen to hear the devs views. 

2 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Adding them to the Windows platform is an option as some of the games run in Windows, though as you point out some are exclusive to the VR headset. Oculus can run independently without connection to a PC/Windows. Also, the games are fundamentally different due to being VR and requiring a VR headset.

I therefore think that having a separate VR platform in the database would be the optimal way to categorise this, rather than fusing them with the existing Windows platform. It would be possible to further split the VR platform into Oculus, HTC etc, though given the cross-platform compatibility I don't think this would be necessary. Obviously this is open to debate. Would be keen to hear the devs views. 

Thing is though that 99% of VR games are Windows, there are very few Quest only games. Could always just add create a VR platform that scrapes as windows, and then with those handful of your games that are Android exclusive add a Quest badge so you can easily see them in the UI?

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Thing is though that 99% of VR games are Windows, there are very few Quest only games. Could always just add create a VR platform that scrapes as windows, and then with those handful of your games that are Android exclusive add a Quest badge so you can easily see them in the UI?

Like I said before, the huge advantage of adding the platform to the database is the possibility of seeing on any device via the web browser what kind of games we own on which device.

Edited by Benuno