LaunchBox Community Forums

3D Models in Big Box Themes?

Jackdefjam

Hey guys, I'm a constant observer in the Forum and love to improve my big box and launchbox. I wondered if there is a possability to create themes with 3D Models so 3D Boxart coult be displayed as such. Like in the Wii Flow channel. I liked to turn around the boxes with my wii mote like in the video below! Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, elwooha6 said:

I always liked the way WiiFlow looked, the 3d boxes were a super cool way to browse your games too.

Problem there is, we dont have any actual 3D boxes in the database, so unless there are full sets of these 3D modelled boxes out there, it's a little pointless.

If that's the mentality behind it then it'll never get done either. When a new standard is developed people are more likely to adopt a different frontend that allows them to use the art they want rather than bother to create new graphics for a feature that doesn't exist. What I'm saying is, it's a chicken or the egg scenario, someone has to make the first move.

1 minute ago, elwooha6 said:

If that's the mentality behind it then it'll never get done either. When a new standard is developed people are more likely to adopt a different frontend that allows them to use the art they want rather than bother to create new graphics for a feature that doesn't exist. What I'm saying is, it's a chicken or the egg scenario, someone has to make the first move.

Given the fact that in Big Box your items are already being displayed as 3D items in a 3D scene the work has already been done. To proceed past this point without something to use to show users that the functionality is working would be a pretty big waste of resources. Why spend time building a feature no one can use? Right now we don't even have the image types needed to fake a 3D box using textures and uv mapping. I don't think it's an impossible thing to get eventually, but there are definite first steps that need to happen before leaping down that rabbit hole.

All the work is basically done. We "just" need a simple 3d plugin for bigbox that allows to load custom textures like it already does for all the images.

You can scrape spines (see attachment) / textures or individual sides from emumovies or screenscraper.fr which is the unwrapped coverart from the boxes... slap that onto a simple 3d cube, distort it in  x y z ... bam instant 3d box with covers.

This is the same wiiflow did (maybe they used actual 3d models for the different platforms but this would work too)

Why did i wrote "just"? Well because xaml sucks and while it supports 3d objects, it's support for 3d is abysmal.

This topic comes up every few months (and i started annoying @Jason about it years ago) and while it would be cool to include this in bigbox, i fear it would have to be completely rewritten :/

I wrote my own frontend, multiple versions even... using Unity, Electron and c++ (well copy and pasted together really :P) and it's not that hard todo (atleast the start) thanks to the output launchbox generates, just parse it, add texture loading and you're done basically...

I have some of my old test videos still up:

First parse test: 

Update 1: 

Linux version: 

why didn't i finish it? time... this stuff takes ages to tweak and i just use bigbox and attractmode now instead of looking at spinning 3d boxes

f-zero.png

• Like 2