LaunchBox Community Forums

Images get deleted when adding a video

DeadVoivod

This is again one weird LB behavior, it happens at the moment when I'm editing ZX Spectrum games. 

I have many video snaps which I want to add to those game entries that don't have one, so when I do that following happens:

I right click the game and chose edit metadata. Then I click on videos and I drag & drop the video snap to add it. Then I click ok. Now the video is there, but all the images for that game have been wiped. So I have to edit metadata again, click on images and download media to eventually get them back. 

I don't know why LB does that but I can remember that some time ago I had problems with images of Atari ST games that went missing and we had a discussion in the noob section, and some guy mentioned that it also happens with ZX Spectrum games due to a strange "character" LB adds when creating the images. So I wonder if those problems could be related?  

40 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

This is again one weird LB behavior, it happens at the moment when I'm editing ZX Spectrum games. 

I have many video snaps which I want to add to those game entries that don't have one, so when I do that following happens:

I right click the game and chose edit metadata. Then I click on videos and I drag & drop the video snap to add it. Then I click ok. Now the video is there, but all the images for that game have been wiped. So I have to edit metadata again, click on images and download media to eventually get them back. 

I don't know why LB does that but I can remember that some time ago I had problems with images of Atari ST games that went missing and we had a discussion in the noob section, and some guy mentioned that it also happens with ZX Spectrum games due to a strange "character" LB adds when creating the images. So I wonder if those problems could be related?  

LB does not add any strange "characters" when adding images. It does append multiple images with a "-01", "-02" and so on.  As well as replacing any game title with ":" in the name to an "_" since Windows does not allow the ":" in file names.

If at all possible can you try and capture this occurring on video it might be helpful. I tried to find the post you were referencing but had no luck.

I found the topic, happened with Amstrad CPC not Atari ST. I seems to do gamename -01 instead of gamename-01, it puts a blank between the e and -

I guess that's why LB has then trouble finding it. I unfortunately have no equipment for capturing this, sorry. Could perhaps try to film with the phone.  

4 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

I found the topic, happened with Amstrad CPC not Atari ST. I seems to do gamename -01 instead of gamename-01, it puts a blank between the e and -

I guess that's why LB has then trouble finding it. I unfortunately have no equipment for capturing this, sorry. Could perhaps try to film with the phone.  

Ah, yeah that could be it. The space between the name and -01. 

FYI OBS is a free software and is perfect for screen captures to help provide videos for troubleshooting. 

If I had to guess, there may be some disconnect between where LaunchBox thinks your images are, and where they actually are. Your videos show indication that you may have some cached clear logo images, but then LaunchBox is having a hard time finding your actual clear logo image.

Are you able to check your Images folders and make sure that images do exist in the correct folders? Maybe a screenshot of what they look like in your Clear Logos.

Also, in LaunchBox, right click a platform, go into the folder tab, and take a screenshot of the clear logo folder path.

Ok, here are the screenshots. Notice that the clear logos, in this example Cybex, are definitely named Cybex -01 with the blank. 

Pictures are from the clear logo folder, the game entry in LB, the edit images screen, and closed again and you can see that the image was removed. 

I tried now renaming the clear logo of the game Cyberun from Cyberun -01 to Cyberun-01 before editing in LB and LB does not delete it anymore. I guess I will now use Advanced Renamer to bulk edit all the spaces out of the names, change the blank _-01 to just -01, that's easy to do.  

Images folder.PNG

LB entry.PNG

editing.PNG

after.PNG

folder clear logo.PNG

Yeah, those images should of never had a space to start with, Launchbox adds the -01 automatically, and i dont have any images with a space in them like that. So my guess is those images with the space were still cached, until you edited the game and the cache was refreshed, hence the image then disappearing as its not got the correct naming to match the rom.

Why is this then only happening f.ex. with ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC? I'm apparently not the only one with this problem for those platforms. 

Problem with the Advanced Renamer is that after adding the games and downloading the metadata, you would have to rename the images in each image category folder of the platform, and not only the clear logos.  

17 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

Why is this then only happening f.ex. with ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC? I'm apparently not the only one with this problem for those platforms. 

Problem with the Advanced Renamer is that after adding the games and downloading the metadata, you would have to rename the images in each image category folder of the platform, and not only the clear logos.  

Couldnt tell you, my spectrum clear logos are named correctly.

image.thumb.png.1942e747497a22c802e8e9cef3f9aef1.png

So i deleted my Spectrum Clear Logo folder and used the metadata/media tool to re grab them, and no issues.

image.thumb.png.54a092e6268aacf40ba686e56e8bc8f6.png

Well it only does it with like 10-15% of the games, others are just named correctly. 

Try f.ex. with Cybex or Cyberun if you can, those 2 were wrong when I checked before. Or look at my screenshot from the Advanced Renamer, there's some others. Perhaps you'll see if it does it also for you. 

Btw, when I import the games they are just named after the game, f.ex. Cybex.tzx and have no strange characters involved. 

Edited by DeadVoivod