LaunchBox Community Forums

Redream - CHD files launch to Redream interface, CUE/BIN files do not

gamerforhire

If I'm in Launchbox and I go play a Dreamcast game, if it's in BIN/CUE format and I point to the .cue file, the game loads up fine. If I do the same, but the game is a .CHD, it'll load to the Redream interface. 

Is there any way to fix this, like with an extra command in the emulator settings? Space isn't a concern, but I'd really like to have one file per game. 

12 hours ago, gamerforhire said:

Is there any way to fix this, like with an extra command in the emulator settings? Space isn't a concern, but I'd really like to have one file per game. 

Highly unlikely.

I have converted my entire library to CHD also and every time I had an issue with one it was a "bad" dump. Finding another version always solved the issue.

It seems weird as the original format would work (BIN/CUE or CDI/GDI), but the CHD format may be more specific and since it's a lossless format, these less than 100% rips cause issues.

Edited by Headrush69

UPDATE: I made an error in assumption. I thought that the CHD files worked in Redream, but they don't.

I can't get either Redream or Retroarch to play the CHD. However, if I load up the BIN/CUE file the CHD is based off of, it works fine. I'm using CHDMAN and using the supplied batch file (CUE or GDI to CHD.bat). 

So, like @Headrush69 said, that's where I'm at right now. My entire library is based on the ReDump library. I've seen in my searches that the TOSEC library is better for casual players, so I'm pulling that now, but in the meantime I'm fine with my current setup, which was searching for all the .cue files in my library and then dragging/dropping into Launchbox. My desire to have one file per game is a want, not a need.

Thanks again for everybody's help. I'm going to try out these TOSEC dumps, see if I can get them to CHD and have them play nicely with Redream. If not, oh well, fallback on BIN/CUE works fine.

@Headrush69 right, so my entire library is based off of the Redump library (all BIN/CUE). I took a handful of them that I know work in Redream and converted them to CHD with CHDMAN. However, once in CHD format, Redream doesn't recognize them. If I attempt to load up the CHD in Retroarch using the Flycast core, it doesn't work. 

I don't know MUCH about this process, as I've done it for one of my platforms and it just worked, but two things potentially worth checking are:

Did you pass the CUE file and NOT the BIN file to CHDMAN?
Is your emulator up to date? Not sure when CHD support was added but if its an older version it potentially isn't supported by that version but is a newer one.

@C-Beats yes, I'm only passing the CUE file to CHDMAN, as that's how the batch file is written (*.cue). As for the emulator, I'm using the most stable build of Redream (v1.5), but I just tested with the latest nightly and it still didn't work.

You mentioned doing this process with one of your platforms, and I too have done it for other platforms (PS1 and PS2). It worked fine for those platforms.

Welp was worth the shot. I got nothing else to really help debug the process for ya then. I don't ever really play Dreamcast and all the set's I've ever seen have GDI files NOT cue, that need passed to CHDMAN so unsure what set you're using.

Which version of chdman did you use for converting? Proper support for Redump Dreamcast .bin/.cue files was only just added around a year ago. If you used an older version of chdman your chd's won't properly work in any emulator.

Edit: I just looked it up. Proper support for Redump Dreamcast dumps was added to chdman in MAME 0.227

Edited by CriticalCid
  • Thanks 1

@CriticalCid Don't know the version of chdman I was using, but I just pulled it from the latest MAME version (0242) and what do you know, it worked!

Thanks for the help! Didn't know there were different versions of chdman, as when I searched for it, all the sites that had it all looked the same (same file name, same bat files). Didn't know it was a tool that's baked into MAME.

Gonna run a batch of these and make sure it works, then convert the whole library. Thanks again!

• Game On 1