LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't launch DS games in melonDS through Launchbox

hectorcarpizo

I set up my DS games in Launchbox with melonDS. During the set up everything was fine and I selected melonDS as the emulator without a problem, but now that I want to play a game, whenever I click play melonDS opens and shows the message "Failed to load the GBA rom". Seems like Launchbox is telling melonDS the game I'm trying to open is a GBA one. If I launch the games directly from melonDS they work just fine, but something about the communication between Launchbox and melonDS or the Launchbox settings is wrong but I can't figure out what it is. Hope someone can help with the problem.

17 minutes ago, hectorcarpizo said:

I set up my DS games in Launchbox with melonDS. During the set up everything was fine and I selected melonDS as the emulator without a problem, but now that I want to play a game, whenever I click play melonDS opens and shows the message "Failed to load the GBA rom". Seems like Launchbox is telling melonDS the game I'm trying to open is a GBA one. If I launch the games directly from melonDS they work just fine, but something about the communication between Launchbox and melonDS or the Launchbox settings is wrong but I can't figure out what it is. Hope someone can help with the problem.

Sounds like you imported GBA roms to your DS platform. Right click the game you are trying to run and go to Edit/Edit metadata, and in the new window that opens go to the Launching tab and take a screenshot and post it here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Sounds like you imported GBA roms to your DS platform. Right click the game you are trying to run and go to Edit/Edit metadata, and in the new window that opens go to the Launching tab and take a screenshot and post it here.

Hi Neil! I'm 100% sure I'm only trying to open DS games, anyways here is the screenshot. The problem happens with all games btw:

image.thumb.png.21117444d0a6db05531d568a5b7367ea.png

4 minutes ago, hectorcarpizo said:

Hi Neil! I'm 100% sure I'm only trying to open DS games, anyways here is the screenshot. The problem happens with all games btw:

image.thumb.png.7de2e1b689b2d94ce74678797860f211.png

What does it show in the emulation tab? If the emulator is saying its a GBA rom then it must be, so you have something setup wrong somewhere.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

What does it show in the emulation tab? If the emulator is saying its a GBA rom then it must be, so you have something setup wrong somewhere.

Here are both the Emulation and Metadata tabs. Thing is, when I open the same ROM directly through melonDS the game runs correctly without any problem, that's why I thought it was something in the Launchbox settings that's causing the problem.

image.thumb.png.0fbc4137bfdce08ad618859f00456683.pngimage.thumb.png.3497ed1dd5329f35ed4b4a5ec634df11.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I, too, am getting this error when attempting to start Nintendo DS games. Just like with Hector, the games work perfectly fine when you run them directly through MelonDS. When running them through Launchbox, however, it shoots up the error that it "failed to load the GBA rom."

As with Clap, I'm also interested in if a solution was ever found to this.

First, you'll need to find out whether MelonDS can launch games from command line. Open up a command line and try it out. You'll also want to find out what the emulator's command line arguments are.

From my limited testing, it looks like games are not launching from an archive properly when launching via cmd, but they seem to launch fine if extracted. Maybe it's some current limitation.

• 6 months later...

This forum explains the problem and provides a solution. https://melonds.kuribo64.net/board/thread.php?id=1143

It was an issue with flatpak

"MelonDS adds the user home directory as a filesystem that it can access and open files from by default. It can access files outside of that it seems, but it has to mount them separately first. What I've done is to add my nds directory as a filesystem to the melonDS flatpak using Flatseal. I can now load my games via Steam just by adding the filepath as an argument in Steam Rom Manager and the file is no longer mounted to open it." - sverth_blaed from the melonds forum

• 6 months later...