LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Retroarch Launch Troubleshooting. No luck following solutions in other threads or videos.

sapph0met

I'm a bit at my wits end and frankly kind of miserable trying to understand what seems to be wrong.

Games run fine on retroarch itself, although the game directory itself does seem to have 2 copies of each game, one unplayable, presumably the bin file or the formerly zipped file that used to be in the folder.
Retroarch itself will open from Launchbox when I right click on a game and opt to open Retroarch standalone instead of trying to launch the game itself, or 'Launch with.. > Retroarch > (emulatorcoregoeshere.libretro)
Doing the latter presents me with a brief hourglass mouse animation followed by nothing opening.

I was hoping to ask or be referred to a thread in case this is considered a common or known issue with the current version of Launchbox. Would it be in my interest to try and do a rollback? Do I need to figure out the buildbot link posted next to retroarch in emulator details in order for compatibility to work? is some flaw in syntax the probable culprit?

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

8 hours ago, Retro808 said:

OK. All looks good except in your first pic in your original post. Uncheck the box for "Remove Quotes”. Also double check the correct core is selected  

I've made the modification, still no luck.. 😔

1 hour ago, sapph0met said:

I've made the modification, still no luck.. 😔

In the first pic you posted, you've spelled the emulator name as RetroArch.

656973113_Screenshot(8).png.9709e42aabdc8fdaaf14177f1483bf01.thumb.jpg.a45a0256d12dbb5509f94ca4c1e48669.jpg

In the last pic you're trying to open the game with an emulator named as Retroarch. (RetroArch vs. Retroarch.)

589023046_Screenshot(14).png.effb76897a785b5884e36eca46dc0661.thumb.jpg.7f13ad44d8967e0307077f934d7f4e6c.jpg

So unless you've edited the emulator name between screenshots, maybe you have multiple setups for RetroArch in LaunchBox and are trying to open the game with the wrong one.

10 hours ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

In the first pic you posted, you've spelled the emulator name as RetroArch.

656973113_Screenshot(8).png.9709e42aabdc8fdaaf14177f1483bf01.thumb.jpg.a45a0256d12dbb5509f94ca4c1e48669.jpg

In the last pic you're trying to open the game with an emulator named as Retroarch. (RetroArch vs. Retroarch.)

589023046_Screenshot(14).png.effb76897a785b5884e36eca46dc0661.thumb.jpg.7f13ad44d8967e0307077f934d7f4e6c.jpg

So unless you've edited the emulator name between screenshots, maybe you have multiple setups for RetroArch in LaunchBox and are trying to open the game with the wrong one.

I've renamed it, and modified the name of the retroarch file itself. No luck so far :(

Screenshot (18).png

Screenshot (19).png

4 hours ago, sapph0met said:

I've renamed it, and modified the name of the retroarch file itself.

It's not necessary to rename the LaunchBox emulator names. And if you mean renaming retroarch.exe, that's definitely not necessary.

1817429097_Schermopname(79).thumb.jpg.2731dc243b00ca3518ffbbd8edf21037.jpg

You can set up the same emulator multiple times in LaunchBox with different configurations. Like pointing to different installation folders (of the same emulator) or different command-line parameters. But to distinguish between them, you have to set them up in LaunchBox under (slightly) different names. Then you have to tell your games which configuration / name to use.

531368831_Schermopname(80).thumb.jpg.94a9538ca0ba56ed0af183b848e27ca7.jpg

Right click your game > Edit > Emulation. Then select your emulator (name) from the drop-down arrow. Or select all your games (select one, then ctrl + a) and bulk edit to the correct emulator (name).

Also, as Suhrvivor points out, the screenshot of your Associated Platforms tab shows the M of Missing Core File while you say your games run in RetroArch directly. If you have multiple installations of RetroArch on your pc, make sure that in LaunchBox the Application Path points to the correct retroarch.exe. (the one with the duckstation_libretro core in the retroarch\cores folder.)

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord