LaunchBox Community Forums

Question about the "Tools > Manage > RetroArch > Update" feature

schmosef

Hello,

I originally posted my question in the "Features" section but didn't get an answer so I'll try here.

Sorry if my question has already been covered. I tried searching the forums but didn't find an answer.

In my setup I have a few different installations of RetroArch configured as "emulators" in LaunchBox, to handle different video driver and/or controller configurations.

Is there a way to designate which specific installation of RetroArch gets updated via this LaunchBox feature?

I tried running the update feature to see what would happen and, as far as I can tell, only one of my RetroArch installations was updated.

Not sure if you can designate which one to update. I would believe LB would update the one in the folder named "Retroarch" in your \Emulators folder since that is where LB would download it if you let it do the full initial set-up.

Curious as to why so many different versions of RA when you could just save a custom config for each core that would use a different video driver and have LB load that custom config. Then you only need one RA set-up. In LB you would just add a custom command line per platform you can use to launch the custom config.

• Like 1

Not sure if you can designate which one to update. I would believe LB would update the one in the folder named "Retroarch" in your \Emulators folder since that is where LB would download it if you let it do the full initial set-up.

Thanks for your comment. I probably should have clarified that I don't have a RetroArch install in a default named folder.

Each install folder name includes the name of the video driver, configured controller and sometimes core.

Still, running the RetroArch update in LB did update at least one of my installations.

Curious as to why so many different versions of RA when you could just save a custom config for each core that would use a different video driver and have LB load that custom config. Then you only need one RA set-up. In LB you would just add a custom command line per platform you can use to launch the custom config.

Years ago, I asked one of the RA devs about using custom config files for specific controller (M30, SN30 Pro+, Arcade stick, and various OG controllers with Raphnet adapters), button mapping and driver settings. I don't remember the exact combination of features that caused the issue but I was told it would not work the way I wanted and I should use separate RA folders for each config.

Edited by schmosef

I do the same thing. I have 5 separate Retroarch installations because of all the controllers I have. M30, SN30, N30, DualShock 4, XBox One, RetroArch N64, Tank Stick, and arcade cabinet. It is a pain to try and get Retroarch to behave with different configurations and hotkeys per controller and its just easier to maintain one installation per controller. It would be nice to have the option to update next to each emulator configuration instead of having a global one that only does one.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 10:23 AM, schmosef said:

Thanks for your comment. I probably should have clarified that I don't have a RetroArch install in a default named folder.

Each install folder name includes the name of the video driver, configured controller and sometimes core.

Still, running the RetroArch update in LB did update at least one of my installations.

Years ago, I asked one of the RA devs about using custom config files for specific controller (M30, SN30 Pro+, Arcade stick, and various OG controllers with Raphnet adapters), button mapping and driver settings. I don't remember the exact combination of features that caused the issue but I was told it would not work the way I wanted and I should use separate RA folders for each config.

Ah, yeah that makes sense then. Using different controllers would not be easy with a singular RA.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

does anyone know if the launchbox feature simply downloads https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/RetroArch_update.7z and extracts it over the top?

my install is a special guy curated and refined, cleaned and maintained over lots of time.  i'm afraid to click the button to find out just in case.   stellar for example extracts some of the redist/lib stuff outside of folders the buildbot releases use which resulted in a lot of doubles (so i stopped using stellar some time ago to avoid pollution/clutter/contamination ;p)

On 6/25/2022 at 6:14 PM, klepp0906 said:

does anyone know if the launchbox feature simply downloads https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/RetroArch_update.7z and extracts it over the top?

my install is a special guy curated and refined, cleaned and maintained over lots of time.  i'm afraid to click the button to find out just in case.   stellar for example extracts some of the redist/lib stuff outside of folders the buildbot releases use which resulted in a lot of doubles (so i stopped using stellar some time ago to avoid pollution/clutter/contamination ;p)

The updater pulls, and extracts over-top, the latest stable release from here: https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/

This includes both the program and the cores.

• Thanks 1

ah good to know considering i run the nightly builds.  i didnt even consider that angle.  perhaps i ought to put in a request to add the option to choose if we want stable or nightly :P

at least it sounds like if i were running stable it wouldnt cause any issues then :)