LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox startup video intermittent black screen, audio playing

Gangor

Fresh windows10 install, fresh launchbox/bigbox install with latest version.

I noticed about a third of the time that the startup video would not play and instead you get a black screen until you press a button. I did a search about the issue and seen several others reported this problem 6 months ago but seen no explanation or solution. Any fix for this?

On 1/6/2024 at 3:03 AM, sniffmyface said:

I feel this could be related to the issues i have in launchbox with videos playing but remaining black. There seems to be a real problem with video playback in both launchbox and big box that is very difficult to replicate, and when you have the problem it only happens about 50% of the time (for me at least). My setup has worked fine for weeks, and the only thing i have changed are more games added, so i have no idea why i have started having video problems.

Same with me, mainly in LB.  I will select a game, only to hear the audio of a video playing behind a black screen.  It is only when I click on the black screen that the video appears.  And like you, it does not happen every time, so very difficult to replicate or predict.  This behavior was not happening in older releases, say 13.3 and older.

Well for me, I took time off the cab build then started back up on the LB configuring around August 2022. I updated to the latest release of 12.13 at the time and the issue was present. My PC was untouched since I last worked on it for about a year before this update and I never saw the issue back then, so I'd have to estimate somewhere between versions 11.12 and 12.13 the bug was born.

23 minutes ago, Gangor said:

Well for me, I took time off the cab build then started back up on the LB configuring around August 2022. I updated to the latest release of 12.13 at the time and the issue was present. My PC was untouched since I last worked on it for about a year before this update and I never saw the issue back then, so I'd have to estimate somewhere between versions 11.12 and 12.13 the bug was born.

I have to say for me it plays 75% of the time but I always wonder when I start my machine if this will be the time it doesn’t play. You would think it would either do it consistently or not at all. That’s where I’m confused. 

At this point we have to consider everything since we haven't found anything to isolate the issue. I'm using the neon arcade theme. 

I'll need to replicate the issue and I just noticed there are log files. Maybe there will be something in there to help pinpoint the issue.

36 minutes ago, Gangor said:

At this point we have to consider everything since we haven't found anything to isolate the issue. I'm using the neon arcade theme. 

I'll need to replicate the issue and I just noticed there are log files. Maybe there will be something in there to help pinpoint the issue.

I think I’m using refried but definitely not using neon arcade. Now that I think about it the video loads before the theme so probably wouldn’t be that. I do know also that led blinky can take a minute to load when launching but always loads. Do you use led blinky? I feel like Big box is occasionally taking to long to load certain things and the video call times out or it’s going through a check, maybe valid license check and that’s causing it to time out but I’m totally guessing. 

On 1/7/2024 at 4:26 PM, Reckless_D said:

Mine is the same, would be good to get a solution for this,

Cheers

Do you happen to have the "stranger things" themed video in your startup folder?

I removed that video and havent had a problem since although this issue is always hit or miss so if I get the black screen again ill update this post

I used to have that start up video but not for a good while and the problem still persisted...I'm going to try a much smaller video next time I'm on it to see if that makes any difference, hope yours is sorted now...it is annoying 

In addition to playing audio but no video until i pause then unpause the video in Launchbox, it also very rarely will play the video only in the top left quarter of the box meant for the video. It scales the whole video to fit in the top left quarter. Again if i pause and unpause it goes back to playing at normal size.

The devs are aware there is a small set of users having this occur. If you need an official statement please see Faeran’s second post in the beta testing thread. 

Going to ask anyone seeing this issue not to post about it in the beta thread as it is not beta testing related. Please keep this thread relevant so the team can see a singular post with any feedback for this issue.

• Like 2

Just wanted to say ive tried all the suggesstions but still get the black screen quite often. Ive even removed all videos from startup folder but one but it still happens.

Someone mentioned they use ledblinky and just wanted to mention I use ledblinky too although im not sure if its part of the issue or not. Anyone else with the issue using ledblinky?