LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box scrolling lag

Megahurtz

I hadn't fired up Big Box in a while and just installed two different updates.  Following that, I noticed a change in scrolling through games.  Previously there was an acceleration to the scrolling, where holding down would progressively speed up the scrolling to the point where it was very smoothly flying through titles until it would stop on one.  Now it seems to be a much slower, deliberate scroll where it almost goes by a single title at a time.  The time between each title does seem to very slightly decrease as a direction is held, but it is still stopping on every single game, just lingering on it for slightly less time.

Did something recently change with the scrolling behavior?  Any way to get it back to how it was before?

Here are a couple short videos displaying what I'm seeing.

Manual scrolling:

And a second video of Big Box going into idle mode and auto scrolling to select a new game:

I tried selecting the default theme to see if that made a difference, but there was no change.  I also tried changing the game list to various options.  Text with details had super fast scrolling that accelerated quickly.  The layout for that is identical to what I'm using for vertical wheel 1, with the exception being that it doesn't load the game title images.  So it seems that the game clear logos are what is causing the choppy scrolling.

v12.13 was the previous version I was using where scrolling was normal.  Rolling back to 12.15 still had this choppy scrolling, so it either was introduced in 12.14 or 12.15.  I don't have an installer for 12.14 available to test out.  For a final point of comparison, here is what my scrolling was like in 12.13:

Edited by Megahurtz
uploaded videos

I'm definitely seeing slowdown and hitches with scrolling on 12.16.  I can't view the videos in question, but I am definitely noticing a performance hit.  I thought it was the Microsoft update for October at first....

Edit:

In my case it is significantly worse with any game that has a video attached to it.  Though scrolling overall definitely seems impacted.  Video performance as a whole seems a little off as well, both platform and game.  I'm using the latest version of VLC as well.

Edited by QuirkyKirkTech
More information/Clarification

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. Just doesn't feel smooth at all. I tried caching all the images but that didn't help either. Hopefully this can get fixed as I wouldn't even consider putting this in a cabinet the way it is. I will keep setting things up because overall I do like where its heading but will continue using Hyperspin in the cabinet until the lag is figured out.

We are actively looking into the cause of this and it should be corrected in the next beta release. I'll do my best to remember to post here when the release those changes are in comes out so you can opt into the beta and see if it corrects the issues you're seeing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13.0 beta also much improved here.  I'd say it's 95% fixed.  The scrolling is fast and fluid the way it was with previous versions, however when it idles into attract mode and auto scrolls through games, occasionally there is a slight hitch or two while scrolling through titles.

I also had Big Box crash on me with an exception error about a minute into trying out the beta.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 5:54 AM, Megahurtz said:

13.0 beta also much improved here.  I'd say it's 95% fixed.  The scrolling is fast and fluid the way it was with previous versions, however when it idles into attract mode and auto scrolls through games, occasionally there is a slight hitch or two while scrolling through titles.

I also had Big Box crash on me with an exception error about a minute into trying out the beta.

I would agree with this. I am seeing a large improvement but still getting the occasional hitch while scrolling or attract mode

On 11/7/2022 at 2:29 PM, C-Beats said:

13.0 Beta 1 is out and has had a lot of changes made to the control that renders the wheel, as well as how the wheel is animated. Could you please update to 13.0 beta 1 and let me know if you see any changes?

The wheel has always worked well for me, what I notice a certain slowness is in showing the videos. When you select a game it takes me almost 1 second to play the video. Is there a way to make the video play instantly?

• 3 months later...