LaunchBox Community Forums

NES - Animated overlay for Retroarch

fercho

NES - Animated overlay for Retroarch

View File
  • 1920X1080 Base resolution
  • Fully compatible with the overlay AUTO-SCALE option
  • Animated controller buttons
  • Optional In-screen tube borders (bezel)
  • Dark Theme
  • Portrait Mode included
  • Animated Fast-Forward Button (only on portrait mode)
  • MEGA BEZEL PRESETS (Light and Dark) 

MEGA BEZEL PRESETS

DARK

LIGHT

RECOMMENDED LANDSCAPE MODE SETTINGS

OVERLAY SETTINGS:

1. Enable the AUTO SCALE OVERLAY option. As this overlay is made by elements that stick to the edges, no matter what resolution is used. With this, the overlay won't look deformed if it's not used on a 16:9 display.
  2. Set "Show Inputs on Overlay" to "Physical (controller)" Or to "OFF" if overlay flashes on button presses.
  3. On the overlay settings set the OVERLAY OPACITY TO 1.0 VIDEO SCALING FOR LANDSCAPE/HORIZONTAL MODE For an aspect ratio screen of 16:9 set the video scaling to 4:3 non integer. And go Full screen.

RECOMMENDED PORTRAIT MODE SETTINGS

OVERLAY SETTINGS  (NOT NEEDED IN UPDATE 1.1)

Use the same Overlay setting as for landscape mode. But Also Enable the AUTO ROTATE OVERLAY setting And in your phone enable the AUTO- ROTATION TOGGLE.

This would auto switch the overlay to landscape if its hold horizontally, and auto switch to portrait mode if its held vertically.

If for some reason it wont switch to portrait mode, and it stays in the landscape mode on the middle of the screen, I added a button on top " SWITCH TO PORTRAIT MODE" touch/click that to force the portrait mode.

VIDEO SCALING FOR PORTRAIT MODE

For some reason, Auto scaling for portrait overlays is only functional in horizontal elements. Meaning that vertical elements, wont align or stick to the top and bottom of the display.

With this in mind, i made the portrait overlay with only horizontal elements.

I tested this overlay on phones with screens of an aspect ratio of 16:9, 18.5:9 and 20:9. With these results:

• - On a screen ratio display of 16:9 set video scaling to 16:10
  • - On a screen ratio of 18.5:9 and 20:9 set video scaling to 4:3

NOTE ABOUT ANIMATED RESET AND FAST FORWARD BUTTONS

RetroArch only allows to "animate" controller buttons, so to "cheat" this limitation, and create an animated non controller buttons, i used a combination of controller buttons. For example if you push in you controller the buttons R3+Y you'll see the reset button animate, but the emulator won't reset. (set a combination hotkey if you want it to). For the FAST FORWARD button, i set it to the R2 button, as i use that button in general for that function.