LaunchBox Community Forums

😢MAME 2.049 breaks input controls for Cruis n USA and World! 😢

2ndWind

Not sure where to ask for help on MAME issues because their forums require the admins to approve your account which probably means it's not going to happen until they get off their butts and I've seen only a few threads in the past here mention steering issues with these two game but not quite what I'm having.   The earlier MAME version one USA worked but World wouldn't work no matter what I set my controls too but now in 2.049 the USA one doesn't work either. 

Host: Windows 10 64 bits.   

Expected Behavior:  The same inputs for USA should work on World and vica versa.   I will reupload the USA Config file to show I'm not stupid despite being new.  Remember you were once new too. 🪓 New lives matter!   Anything wrong with the config here? 

Steps to produce this bug:  Install MAME 2.049 and get your romsets by Jdownloader2 into your ROM from wherever you get your romsets at and then once your sure your roms match then turn on MAME then turn on Cruis nUSA and World. Note: Neither game requires CHD files to boot.  

Also on the menu the pictures glitch out now and on the race it makes the car go to the right if you pull on the stick even slightly where as in previous versions of MAME it doesn't not sure if this is just MAME being buggy or something else internal going on.  

crusnusa.cfg

Edited by 2ndWind

7 hours ago, 2ndWind said:

which probably means it's not going to happen until they get off their butts

hmmm the Mame team has been running straight for over 10+ years.  

Your problem is probably with your wheel and calibration. 

you need to be more descriptive of your issue.  Does either load?  If they load does the game play?  Is this only based on your controls?  here are my settings.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Aevans0001 said:

hmmm the Mame team has been running straight for over 10+ years.  

Your problem is probably with your wheel and calibration. 

you need to be more descriptive of your issue.  Does either load?  If they load does the game play?  Is this only based on your controls?  here are my settings.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Those look like mouse settings to me. I'm using PXNV900 wheel. I did a soft Windows 10 restore so now Windows finds it as wired wheel.  I set both games with Paddle Analog as Joy LSX and P1 Pedal 1 as - and 2 as +.  Cruis n USA works just fine with that though a tad bit sensitive but I think the arcade was always sensitive crap on the actual machine.   Cruis n World however same settings the menu goes either all the way left or right and starting the car pulls to the right into a circle.   Here are the config files for World.  Anything I can do different?   

Snip Tool won't work in-game so I can't screenshot the input setup.  I have to shut the game down.  Any ideas how to do a screen shot on 10? I've never had print screen work on any Windohs Computer I've ever had. 

crusnwld.cfg

Those look like mouse settings to me. I'm using PXNV900 wheel.

Should not matter for testing as it's all seen the same internally by MAME.

Cruis n USA works just fine with that though a tad bit sensitive but I think the arcade was always sensitive crap on the actual machine.  

Yes, it's very sensitive. I don't find that adjusting the MAME analog sensitivity makes any differences. Calibrating the wheel in game did improve things, but it is a generally sensitive racing wheel game.

Oh and the latest MAME 2.049 Cruis n USA controls don't work at all so I reverted back to this one at least it works but not World.  

Looked at your cfg and don't see anything remarkably different to mine, other than many of my steering wheel controls are in my default cfg (They are the same though). The only thing I see different was that your paddle entry had a centerdelta valve while mine did not.

At this point, I would suggest removing your cruisin.cfg,  in the MAME/cfg folder, removing your game nvram files (there should be 2) in the MAME/NVRAM folder for crusin and then re-run the game. Set your controls and then enter the service menu and run the input calibration.

Edit: You can add -window to your mame command line options to run in window mode to use snipping tool as well.

Edited by Headrush69
Fixed spelling.
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

Should not matter for testing as it's all seen the same internally by MAME.

Yes, it's very sensitive. I don't find that adjusting the MAME analog sensitivity makes any differences. Calibrating the wheel in game did improve things, but it is a generally sensitive racing wheel game.

Looked at your cfg and don't see anything remarkably different to mine, other than many of my steering wheel controls are in my default cfg (They are the same though). The only thing I see different was that your paddle entry had a centerdelta valve while mine did not.

At this point, I would suggest removing your cruisin.cfg,  in the MAME/cfg folder, removing your game nvram files (there should be 2) in the MAME/NVRAM folder for crusin and then re-run the game. Set your controls and then enter the service menu and run the input calibration.

Edit: You can add -window to your mame command line options to run in window mode to use snipping tool as well.

So after I delete those nvram files it will be running the game for the 1st time and I go thru the 'set your steering wheel' setup screen in which before I calibrate I set my inputs again?   As for -Window I don't use command line I use Mame X64.exe which is it's basic UI.  Not sure about command line I only know a bit of MS Dos commands.  

Edit: Found the 2NVRAM files in that Cruis n World folder. It says nvram and serial_pic2. I am going to delete that Cruis n World folder with those 2 weird files.  Also I have Bandicam should I show a quick intro clip of how weird the controls on MAME is when trying to start a race? That is once I can get it windowed? 

Edited by 2ndWind

2 hours ago, 2ndWind said:

So after I delete those nvram files it will be running the game for the 1st time and I go thru the 'set your steering wheel' setup screen in which before I calibrate I set my inputs again?   As for -Window I don't use command line I use Mame X64.exe which is it's basic UI.  Not sure about command line I only know a bit of MS Dos commands.  

Steps order:

1. Erase cruisnwld NVRAM files in MAME NVRAM folder
  2. Erase crusinwld cfg file in MAME cfg folder
  3. Start Game (Do no hit any buttons)
  4. Using TAB key bring up MAME menu and set your controls
  5. Exit MAME menu and now follow the onscreen message about steering wheel and pedals
  6. Once game is running, hit the service key (normally F2) to enter the game's in game service menu, and go to the Calibrate controls menu item and calibrate.
2 hours ago, 2ndWind said:

As for -Window I don't use command line I use Mame X64.exe which is it's basic UI.  Not sure about command line I only know a bit of MS Dos commands.  

Most MAME GUIs I've seen have an option for fullscreen/window. Not 100% sure which variant you are using. Have a link?

Edited by Headrush69

On 11/30/2022 at 2:27 AM, 2ndWind said:

As for -Window I don't use command line I use Mame X64.exe which is it's basic UI

Using Mame 0.249 and Mame64.exe does not compute.  they dropped mame64.exe about a year ago.  It should be mame.exe .  

headrush is correct you need to delete those files, but i would also delete any cruisin file in the sta directory also.

the analog settings definately make a difference.  I have some wheels (original equipment) form a couple of racers, that i can not manually callibrate per game with out the analog settings.  If you search google you maybe able to find the post i used that shows all the games analog settings.

• 8 months later...

How does one play Cruis n USA and World with Retroarch core and a Xbox controller? Both games load up until "Calibrate your controls" then no matter what I press on the controller or keyboard it does not detect anything. Does this game only play with an actual wheel? Using Mame Current core which is 0.257.

On 8/21/2023 at 2:35 AM, silverchair said:

How does one play Cruis n USA and World with Retroarch core and a Xbox controller? Both games load up until "Calibrate your controls" then no matter what I press on the controller or keyboard it does not detect anything. Does this game only play with an actual wheel? Using Mame Current core which is 0.257.

Scroll down to the notes in this post and will see Cruis'n listed.  Nvram posted along with presets for this and other games:

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 8:35 AM, silverchair said:

Also this is one of the biggest problems using a hacked together core for mame, its not an official core, mame devs have often called out retroarch, and as such will never support it. Retroarch left in mames own control system, and it will constantly fight with retroarch's control system. Best advice is please stop using retroarch for mame. Original mame is still the best emu, regardless of any retroarch cores that have have been added.

Edited by MadK9

15 hours ago, sundogak said:

Scroll down to the notes in this post and will see Cruis'n listed.  Nvram posted along with presets for this and other games:

Thanks would try this out definitely!

6 hours ago, MadK9 said:

Also this is one of the biggest problems using a hacked together core for mame, its not an official core, mame devs have often called out retroarch, and as such will never support it. Retroarch left in mames own control system, and it will constantly fight with retroarch's control system. Best advice is please stop using retroarch for mame. Original mame is still the best emu, regardless of any retroarch cores that have have been added.

I do not have an option I am afraid, running Mame through a core because the gaming device in question is Chromecast with Google TV i.e. no native Mame app for Android.

6 hours ago, silverchair said:

I don't know folder structure on Chromecast (or if can access directory like on Nvidia Shield), but at least for the the MAME RA Windows core they are located in the directory: retroarch/saves/ mame/mame/nvram.   Check your RA core MAME.ini path for where it is pulling the nvram files .