LaunchBox Community Forums

New Wide Screen (Nintendo G&W)

• Balloon Fight
  • Climber
  • Super Mario Bros

Reconstructed Box Backs. I had already uploaded Balloon Fight, but the other two really don't have any good pics of their cartoons online....so I've taken the best pics I can, tidied them up and AI upscaled them. At least this completes my V5 reconstruction of the boxes from two years ago.

For V6 - I'll look to improve the Logo's and Logo Cartoons.

Balloon Fight (Crystal Screen)-01.jpg

Climber (Crystal Screen)-01.jpg

Super Mario Bros. (Crystal Screen)-01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

8 hours ago, EASTWOOD2002 said:

This marks the end of my Nintendo Game & Watch Logo phase :) 
92 logo's revised covering the main 59 games

What next?

Now I have upscaled / revised logo's and cartoons - I may revisit my Game & Watch Box reconstructions :) 

Great job on these buddy have a rest this weekend 👍

• Thanks 1

Something slightly different... :) 

Nintendo Game & Watch Spines!

I had created 55 of the G&W spines - i.e. all but the ones for the Crystal Screen series and Zelda about two years ago, but - for whatever reason - Big Box stretches the spines so that the depth looks incorrect (too deep). I've taken all the spines (inc. Crystal Screens and Zelda - which I've created this weekend) and "squished" them proportionately so that when you run Big Box - they now look correct :) 

I'll zip them up and put them in the downloads section soon along with my Nintendo Game & Watch reconstructions:

• Full reconstructed front & backs
  • Front & Back revisions (i.e. some of the G&W had 2 or 3 artwork revisions)
  • Alt country versions. I recreated the covers that UK, France, Germany, Belgium (I think), Argentina and Australia had
  • The "squished" spines

In the meantime - some pics :) 

Powerpoint - G&W Spines.jpg

Big Box - G&W - Balloon Fight.jpg

Big Box - G&W - Donkey Kong.jpg

Big Box - G&W - Popeye (Table Top).jpg

Big Box - G&W - Zelda.jpg

• Game On 1

35 minutes ago, EASTWOOD2002 said:

Something slightly different... :) 

Nintendo Game & Watch Spines!

I had created 55 of the G&W spines - i.e. all but the ones for the Crystal Screen series and Zelda about two years ago, but - for whatever reason - Big Box stretches the spines so that the depth looks incorrect (too deep). I've taken all the spines (inc. Crystal Screens and Zelda - which I've created this weekend) and "squished" them proportionately so that when you run Big Box - they now look correct :) 

I'll zip them up and put them in the downloads section soon along with my Nintendo Game & Watch reconstructions:

• Full reconstructed front & backs
  • Front & Back revisions (i.e. some of the G&W had 2 or 3 artwork revisions)
  • Alt country versions. I recreated the covers that UK, France, Germany, Belgium (I think), Argentina and Australia had
  • The "squished" spines

In the meantime - some pics :) 

Powerpoint - G&W Spines.jpg

Big Box - G&W - Balloon Fight.jpg

Big Box - G&W - Donkey Kong.jpg

Big Box - G&W - Popeye (Table Top).jpg

Big Box - G&W - Zelda.jpg

Nice clean Set man! Working on cleaning up All the Game Gear Artwork and completing it and will upload the set next.

• Game On 1

Final obscure update for today :) 

X (Game Boy)

Just the cart...this was the only one I didn't have in Launchbox - so I used the fan art one and added the X label. Not hightest resolution - but the same as the rest now :) 

Interesting game "X" - it was Japanese only but started out as a 3D tech demo on the Game Boy by Argonaut who later went on to develop Star Fox for Nintendo!

X-01.png

• Like 1

What next?

I've started looking at Dreamcast. I had the European console on day 1 release which really did feel like a generation step up from the PS1 (it even left me feeling underwhelmed by the PS2 and didn't have the jarring interlacing effects that the PS2 had). I collected primarily the EU boxes, then the US exclusives, then notable JP games.

For the EU games:

• Whilst there are some great scans in the db (and at Sega Retro), the majority of the back covers include the spine in the same scan...so I'm starting to split them into backs and spines.
  • Where the EU boxes were deeper than a CD case, there are notches in the right top/bottom of the back to accommodate the hinge. Until such time that the good developers here at LB create an EU 3D case that is the correct depth (+ hopefully a PS1 EU case too :) ), then I felt that filling in the notches was a good idea
  • I'm trying to level the colours of the scans a little - by eye - as some of the scans are too dark a blue, or too saturated etc. 
  • For Shenmue and Shenmue II - I've recreated the wider spines in PowerPoint as I've over-ridden the default 3D case for a box. I've used the inner case pics as the outer case had a cut out for being able to pull out the 2x game cases - so it just looks cleaner
  • For Xeno Crisis - I couldn't find a good back cover pic - the only one out there appears to have lens flare - so I've corrected that as best I could and AI upscaled it
  • I have tried a few approaches to AI upscaling the covers, but the printing at the time was more "fine dots" than photo quality so AI seems to struggle with them quite a lot (even if you blur the images first)

For the US games:

• I've really not done a lot with these. There's a lot of good scans in the db - for both front, back and spines and the backs do not have "notches" like the EU ones do
  • I have however sourced - or recreated spines in PowerPoint - where they are missing in the db

For the JP games:

• I don't have many of these - but like the US ones I've sourced - or recreated spines in PowerPoint - where they are missing in the db
  • There are a few games that must have been released in a DVD style case - so I've kept with those dimensions. Most notably Last Hope: Pink Bullets (I've used the DVD case override and the "force case background cover" colours to R=235 , G=67 , B=158 to get a pink DVD case)
  • For SSFII For Matching Service - I've upscaled the back cover as the only pics online are tiny. Overall it does look better - but the Japanese text did get garbled in the AI upscale

Anyway - I naively thought I could get this done quite quickly - and while I've done around 200 of 285, this is going to take another 3 or 4 weeks to complete (or longer if I tackle the logo's too). It won't be perfect - but it will be a lot better than you can currently achieve from the pics in the db.

Shenmue.jpg

Sega Rally 2 Championship.jpg

Xeno Crisis.jpg

18 Wheeler_ American Pro Trucker-01.jpg

90 Minutes_ Sega Championship Football-01.jpg

AeroWings 2_ Air Strike-01.jpg

Dead or Alive 2-01.jpg

Super Magnetic Neo-01.jpg

Reel Fishing - Wild.jpg

SSFII for Matching Service.jpg

Last Hope_ Pink Bullets-01.jpg

Last Hope_ Pink Bullets-02.jpg