LaunchBox Community Forums

3d box model stutterring rotation

Retrofrogg

Very odd. I just restarted the PC, loaded up LB with the Omni theme, and checked again - and the rotation works fine, running smooth. It's very nice to have smooth rotation, by the way. I then apply the default theme again in the theme manager, restart LB, and test again - and the stuttering problem has returned.

So it seems to be your theme that has fixed it. Have you changed anything about the way graphics are handled, or DX versions, or anything about the carousel? It would be great to work out what the issue is.

EDIT - I switched back to the Omni theme again, and....the problem has returned!! Arrrggghhh!!

So I tested again, to see if it's something to do with switching theme. Back to default - problem is there. Switch to Omni - problem still there. Updated to Omni 1.1.0 - problem still there.

So...maybe not that helpful after all. Something DID change which got rid of the problem. But I haven't changed anything else on my PC, so still unsure what's going on.

Edited by Retrofrogg

Another clue - it's not just rotation it happens with; it's panning too. Stutter has returned for the main view but not the carousel. I've installed some GOG games meantime. Wonder if it's to do with some kind of V++ or DirectX extension that was intalled with one of the games?

Edited by Retrofrogg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't remember if I've asked you or not @Retrofrogg but have you checked your mouse/keyboard poll rates? We had one user report that their poll rate was set pretty high and was causing some delays on their system (I've personally experienced this well in other applications when mine was at the same setting). Lowering it corrected some of the issues they were seeing. Curious if such a thing affects what you're seeing or not.

7 hours ago, C-Beats said:

have you checked your mouse/keyboard poll rates?

I don't think I had checked it. I found a website that seems to check the poll rate, and got the below:

image.thumb.png.2326755bc3a25b730de52109b7ebdeb7.png

I don't know how to interpret this though - would be grateful for your further thoughts. A quick bit of reading around suggests that these rates are average.

Edited by Retrofrogg

2 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

I don't think I had checked it. I found a website that seems to check the poll rate, and got the below:

image.thumb.png.2326755bc3a25b730de52109b7ebdeb7.png

I don't know how to interpret this though - would be grateful for your further thoughts. A quick bit of reading around suggests that these rates are average.

125hz is the standard polling rate for mice. This means the computer asks the mouse where it's at 125 times a second. Your rate is 1000hz so it's being asked 1000x a second. My razer by default does 1k and had to be turned down to 500hz via the Razer Central app or it caused issues like what you're experiencing. Razer mice in general cause issues if razer software isn't installed as well (or did in my set up). I never saw the issue in LaunchBox but did in some games I was playing. Once I turned it down to 500 and made sure the razer app/service started as it was supposed to the issue went away.

Thanks @C-Beats. I'll see if I can turn down the polling rate when I get home. I had looked at the advice from Corsair which says that the average gaming mouse is at 1000Hz with some as high as 8000Hz. They say all Corsair mice have a minimum of 2000Hz. The Razer site talks about hyperpolling at 8000Hz to allow less latency and smoother tracking. So I didn't think that my 1000Hz should be an issue. Also it suggests that higher polling rates should allow smoother movement, not the stutters we are experiencing here. But I will run the test later today and let you know. 

Edited by Retrofrogg

3 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Thanks @C-Beats. I'll see if I can turn down the polling rate when I get home. I had looked at the advice from Corsair which says that the average gaming mouse is at 1000Hz with some as high as 8000Hz. They say all Corsair mice have a minimum of 2000Hz. The Razer site talks about hyperpolling at 8000Hz to allow less latency and smoother tracking. So I didn't think that my 1000Hz should be an issue. Also it suggests that higher polling rates should allow smoother movement, not the stutters we are experiencing here. But I will run the test later today and let you know. 

Yeah, gaming mice typically shoot for 1k hz. The issue is how long the system takes to get the poll response with some mice (especially if that mouse is trying to find it's proprietary software like Razers seem to...). I'd change the setting and see if it helps, if it doesn't put it back.

@C-Beats So I opened Razer Synapse and noticed that my mouse didn't seem to be listed under devices - only the mouse dock was (it's a Razer Viper Ultimate). So I had to uninstall and then reinstall the app & drivers. Now the mouse appears. No change to the problem in Launchbox though.

So next I went to adjust polling. It was set at 1000Hz. Funny thing I noticed is that when I changed polling, the mouse sensitivity/DPI seemed to change (high polling = less mouse cursor movement for the same mouse movement). I adjusted it to 500Hz and then 125Hz.

Unfortunately, this didn't fix the problem. I think that changing it to 125Hz reduced the frequency of the stutters just a little bit (going at the same rate, I was able to make 4 rotations of the box rather than 2 or 3 before it stuttered). But the stutter remained. I also tried unchecking "enhance pointer precision" in the windows settings, again with no change.

So I remain pretty unclear as to whether it's a mouse-related problem or not. Keen for your further thoughts. Do you think it's worth trying a standard wired mouse to see if that affects things?

15 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

@C-Beats So I opened Razer Synapse and noticed that my mouse didn't seem to be listed under devices - only the mouse dock was (it's a Razer Viper Ultimate). So I had to uninstall and then reinstall the app & drivers. Now the mouse appears. No change to the problem in Launchbox though.

So next I went to adjust polling. It was set at 1000Hz. Funny thing I noticed is that when I changed polling, the mouse sensitivity/DPI seemed to change (high polling = less mouse cursor movement for the same mouse movement). I adjusted it to 500Hz and then 125Hz.

Unfortunately, this didn't fix the problem. I think that changing it to 125Hz reduced the frequency of the stutters just a little bit (going at the same rate, I was able to make 4 rotations of the box rather than 2 or 3 before it stuttered). But the stutter remained. I also tried unchecking "enhance pointer precision" in the windows settings, again with no change.

So I remain pretty unclear as to whether it's a mouse-related problem or not. Keen for your further thoughts. Do you think it's worth trying a standard wired mouse to see if that affects things?

Nah if you went through and left their proprietary software running and changed the poll rate and it didn't help I'd imagine it's not and can be reverted back to the 1k you had it at. Was mostly just vetting out a potential cause that I've seen improve others (and my) computer performance in the past.

• 4 months later...

Here is an overview of what has been tried without luck

• Disabling controllers in Launchbox
  • Using different mice (wired/wireless, different DPI)
  • Fresh install of Launchbox
  • Restarting PC
  • Trying different monitors (including a TV)
  • Verifying if the problem is specific to a certain hardware setup (Nvidia GPUs were used in all cases)
  • Checking if the problem is related to the database or rendering of Launchbox
  • Testing with a virtual mouse, used from an Android APP
  • Investigating Launchbox's use of Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF)
  • Adding and removing game platforms/roms
  • Looking into potential cache issues