LaunchBox Community Forums

3d box model stutterring rotation

Retrofrogg

I recently upgraded my mobo, CPU and RAM. That's the only thing that has changed since this was working properly. Now, when I rotate a 3D box model in Launchbox using the mouse (either in the carousel, or maximised to fullscreen), the rotation is no longer smooth. Around once every second or so there is a very brief pause before the rotation continues. My current system includes a z690 mobo, i7-13700k CPU, 32GB DDR5 Ram, 1080ti graphics card.

On advice from @C-Beats, the "use all controllers" box in the settings is unchecked. Apparently rendering is done by DirectX 9. I have DirectX 12 (the latest version). I don't know if that is part of the problem - I imagine that most people will have 12. I tried to install some older versions but Windows gives me the message "Direct X setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of Direct X has been installed already".

Interestingly, when using the "Thirdscreen" plugin which shows a rotating 3D model box on another screen, the rotation is smooth when it's automatically rotating. If I try and rotate in manually, same problem. Also, when it's rotating automatically and I move a different window around using my mouse, the same problem occurs.

See the video below for an example of the problem. Any help appreciated!

Edited by Retrofrogg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey! Still occurring on my setup :

Windows 11, i7-13700KF, RTX 4090, 32.0 GB RAM, Launchbox running on an SSD, up to date drivers, Dual 120Hz vsync screen, last launchbox beta + Big Details theme

I noticed  hiccups while rotating 3d model seem related to mouse DPI as it occurs faster with higher DPI...Also, when dragging the  3D model case, I'm losing  mouse focus doing wide movements.

Also, I don't know if it is related, but 3D case models stutter hard in Bigbox. Almost like if it wasn't using hardware 3D

Nice setup. I have the same CPU with a 3090 and Launchbox running on an SSD. Main screen runs at 165Hz.

Interesting relating to mouse DPI. I hadn't really investigated that but will take a look. I haven't had any problem with mouse focus when making wide movements, and don't really use BigBox. I do have a problem that it's very hard to rotate the box with the mouse smoothly horizontally, without it flipping about on the vertical plane - though I've mentioned that problem elsewhere.

Maybe this further information about the stuttering will help narrow down the differential diagnoses.

Edited by Retrofrogg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

@SymmeTrey - could you list your hardware config please? And OS?

@Mock - could you also list the rest of your hardware config and OS? Are you talking about the rotation in BigBox or Launchbox?

Perhaps we can find something in common.

It did a bug report here https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/7747/rotating-freeze-in-new-3d-cover-display-in

Computer specs
Nvidia RTX 4090
Intel 13900KF
Ultrawide Alienware Oled 1440P*175hz G-sync ultimate
32GB / 5600mhz memory

Software
Windows 11 Enterprise
Launchbox 13.3
Nvidia Driver 531.79
Winver 10.0.22000.1817

Edited by Mock

• 2 weeks later...

Still occuring and pretty sure it is a mouse related issue as I tested with a keyboard with a integrated trackpad mouse. No hiccups nor losing 3D model focus using this device. Going back to wireless Razer mouse, stutters occur and mouse moves does not reflect correct rotation, 3D model slowly going down while I move horizontally.

Also noticed that changing mouse polling rate in Razer app affects 3d model rotation render in a weird way... The lower the smoother. 125Hz polling rate is smooth, everything above make case models stutter

Invocking grandmaster @faeran , fingers crossed :P

Edited by kobaturtle

This has been fixed for me with the latest beta (13.6 beta 1). Same for the others here?

Edit: it wasn't the latest beta that fixed it - it was @C-Beats Omni theme. The problem is still there with the default theme, but goes away when the Omni theme is used! Hopefully this major clue will  help narrow down the source of the problem.

Edited by Retrofrogg

No real idea how that would be the case since I'm using the same control as Default to display them. There may be some underlying event that is ticking on the main thread in Default that for some reason my theme isn't tying itself to that is causing it. It's hard for me to test because I can't replicate the reported issue at all.