LaunchBox Community Forums

Best way to move LB to ROG Ally

DeadVoivod

I got my ROG Ally today, still waiting for my 2TB M.2 2230 to get shipped tomorrow and the 1TB SD is already in to give it as much space as possible. 

What would be the best solution to move ones existing setup to a handheld?  

With the Odin Pro I had to do everything all over again because of Android, but with Windows it should be far easier. Only the xml files have to be altered as obviously the drive letter will change, but is it as easy as just copy paste all over?

Plus is the existing license still valid or do you need a second one?

The answer to this question depends on how you have your installation built. If you have everything in the LB folder you just copy that folder over to the device.

What I'd recommend is to copy the entire LB folder to the device, then for any platform that has a broken file path you can select all the games in that platform then use the item in Tools > File Management to change all the rom paths to point to the new folder and it'll update the paths for you. Then you'd want to go to Tools > Manage > Emulators and change any paths that need changed there.

If you're feeling brave you could do this all with a find and replace in your data files as well.

Your license is good for any number of devices you personally own, so no you will not need another license for your Ally.

• Like 1

Ok thanks. I have indeed everything in the LB folder. I think I'm gonna just copy that over, but first without games, images and videos. Then try to move them one by one to set up correctly. 

I have my LB NAS backup network drive mapped to the Ally, so copying it over is also easy. 

For the file path I will have to change anyway, I wanna put higher end to emulate stuff on internal SSD and all the other lower end stuff on the SD., thus having 2 different file paths. 

Edited by DeadVoivod

On 6/14/2023 at 12:38 PM, DeadVoivod said:

I got my ROG Ally today, still waiting for my 2TB M.2 2230 to get shipped tomorrow and the 1TB SD is already in to give it as much space as possible. 

What would be the best solution to move ones existing setup to a handheld?  

With the Odin Pro I had to do everything all over again because of Android, but with Windows it should be far easier. Only the xml files have to be altered as obviously the drive letter will change, but is it as easy as just copy paste all over?

Plus is the existing license still valid or do you need a second one?

I was interested in that, but the D-pad looks like crap. Is it as bad as it looks?

The D-Pad is fine, for me, don't know what you expect, but I'm not using it so much, don't play fighting games almost at all. It could definitely be better meaning if they would not have used this "circle" but just 4 single buttons, don't know what it's called. 

I know that the D-Pad is very important for a lot of people, but not for me, so I don't really pay attention to it. 

3 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

I know that the D-Pad is very important for a lot of people, but not for me, so I don't really pay attention to it. 

You are on the Launchbox forums, so i assume you play retro games, are you saying you use the analog stick for things like Mario?  For me personally the most important thing on something that is for playing retro games is the dpad, it its a bad dpad i avoid the product completely.

The D-Pad is absolutely fine to play Mario and Co. I would never use the analog stick for retro stuff, I meant mainly for fighting games because a lot of people are always testing D-Pads with fighting games which I don't play at all, so I cannot comment on that.