LaunchBox Community Forums

New versions of LB don't allow you to regain focus/click

duerra

I have a dual-monitor setup on Windows.  When I turn my monitors off at night, sometimes Windows seems to recognize one of them as getting disconnected.  When this happens, all my windows from that monitor get moved to my other monitor, where they are all placed when I turn my monitors back on.  I reposition these windows back to their rightful positions.  For the last 2 versions of LaunchBox, when this happens, I am unable to focus LaunchBox again, causing me to have to go into the task manager and issue an End Task signal against it and relaunch the software. 

Are there any known workarounds, short of restoring to an older version of LaunchBox?  I saw in the changelog that a seemingly related issue was fixed in the latest version, but that has not been my experience - and my hardware isn't a touchscreen scenario.

Edit: to clarify that in retrospect it doesn't appear to be related to my dual-monitor setup.

Edited by duerra

• 2 weeks later...

I really seem to be struggling with losing and not being able to regain focus, or otherwise having the app seize without fully crashing on me with the last 2 releases and the only recovery killing the process in the task manager.

Occasionally I also see an error about a missing index or key.  I'll try and capture it next time it happens.

• 4 months later...

Still having this issue in December.  It's not actually related to my dual-monitor setup though, I don't think.  LaunchBox just seems to get into a state where I can't actually get it to regain focus unless I kill it from the task manager and restart it.  I don't know how to actively reproduce it, but it has been happening for a number of months now. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/22/2023 at 2:44 PM, duerra said:

Still having this issue in December.  It's not actually related to my dual-monitor setup though, I don't think.  LaunchBox just seems to get into a state where I can't actually get it to regain focus unless I kill it from the task manager and restart it.  I don't know how to actively reproduce it, but it has been happening for a number of months now. 

I haven't had time to really investigate but since a couple versions ago I have the same consistent issues.

It seems the GUI stalls yet everything is functioning otherwise. If I click around the screen, I can hear LB playing the preview video for whatever game I may be clicking on. The GUI elements don't highlight. The only way to fix is to close LB and restart.

Edit: Ypu should ask a mod to move this to the troubleshooting forum where it will likely get more attention. This one is for website/forum problems.

Edited by Headrush69

• duerra changed the title to New versions of LB don't allow you to regain focus/click

This is still happening on the latest version of LaunchBox for me.  It always seems to show up after having played a game.  If I just launch LaunchBox and don't start a game, the problem does not seem to arise.  It also doesn't happen every time.  I still haven't been able to pinpoint when/why it happens.

• 3 months later...

Still continue to have this issue.  This morning, I've had to task kill LB 3 separate times due to issues with being able to restore interaction capabilities with the LaunchBox app.  I really am at a loss as to better helping identify why this is happening.  It cannot obviously be reproduced, but it happens to me multiple times a week, if not multiple times a day.

Hi @duerra sorry to hear you're still experiencing this, I realise this thread has been open for a while so I hope it's okay to take a step back and reconfirm some info here in case things have changed

1) What is the specific LaunchBox version you are running?
2) Can you reconfirm specifically what the issue is and the steps to reproduce it? The reason I ask is that it seemed to start out with an issue where after one of your monitors would disconnect, LaunchBox would lose focus and couldn't be brought back, but seems to have since turned into an issue where after closing a game, you're unable to regain focus on the app and need to force quit it. 

I realise it's tricky to consistently reproduce it, but when it does happen are you able to grab a screen recording so we can see the issue in action? Feel free to DM me a recording if you don't want to share it here.

Keep me posted and we'll try to get you an answer as to why this is happening

20 minutes ago, AstroBob said:

I'm sorry to chime in again and say it like this, but unfortunately I'm also almost resigned to this issue. I've been experiencing it for several versions now, and I too frequently have to force close LaunchBox because it completely freezes with no chance of recovery. It's really frustrating. Additionally, I wouldn't even know how to replicate the problem, as it happens unpredictably and, unfortunately, occurs quite often.

15 hours ago, Sbaby said:

I'm sorry to chime in again and say it like this, but unfortunately I'm also almost resigned to this issue. I've been experiencing it for several versions now, and I too frequently have to force close LaunchBox because it completely freezes with no chance of recovery. It's really frustrating. Additionally, I wouldn't even know how to replicate the problem, as it happens unpredictably and, unfortunately, occurs quite often.

@Sbaby sorry to hear you're having these issues. I'd be happy to try and help get you sorted but I just want to ensure we're talking about the same issue here. The original poster's issue appears to be related to LaunchBox losing focus after closing a game, which results in them having to force quit LaunchBox.

This issue you describe appears to relate to LaunchBox randomly freezing and needing to be force quit, rather than losing focus on the app (which results in needing to force quit). Apologies if I've misunderstood there, if you're having the same issue as the original poster then no worries, but if it's different let me know and we can break this out into a separate thread and try and get you sorted.

9 hours ago, AstroBob said:

@Sbaby sorry to hear you're having these issues. I'd be happy to try and help get you sorted but I just want to ensure we're talking about the same issue here. The original poster's issue appears to be related to LaunchBox losing focus after closing a game, which results in them having to force quit LaunchBox.

This issue you describe appears to relate to LaunchBox randomly freezing and needing to be force quit, rather than losing focus on the app (which results in needing to force quit). Apologies if I've misunderstood there, if you're having the same issue as the original poster then no worries, but if it's different let me know and we can break this out into a separate thread and try and get you sorted.

You are absolutely right, I did not read the original post carefully and I apologize for the confusion. Actually, I am experiencing both problems: sometimes LaunchBox loses focus after closing a game and sometimes it randomly crashes, forcing me to exit. So, unfortunately, I am dealing with both situations. If you'd rather split the discussion to handle them separately, that's perfectly fine, as you prefer. Thank you for your willingness to help!

No worries, thanks for confirming. In that case, let's keep this thread focused on LaunchBox losing focus, if you want to open a new one for your specific crashes we'll be happy to follow up there.

For this one though, to try and start narrowing things down we need a way to accurately reproduce this. For anyone experiencing this can you please confirm:

• How many monitors are you running in your setup
  • What version of LaunchBox are you running
  • Can you describe (to as best you can) the steps to reproduce this issue?
  • If it seems to happen after closing a game, what kind of game (i.e Steam, an Emulator, etc)
  • Does it appear to happen for all games, certain types of games (i.e only Steam), or it appears to happen randomly?
  • I realise its hard due to the random nature of this, but if anyone can supply a screen recording of the issue in action, that would greatly help

Let us know and we'll do our best to try and reproduce this on our side