LaunchBox Community Forums

Save state manager

Kefka2b

2 hours ago, Nixx said:

I do this with BigBoxProfile third party app, but the module for that is not release yet.

btw, i can also use it to manage sound from pause menu.
https://streamable.com/21wl3a

a feature like that, where I can actually see the various save/load states for a given game on a given emulator (rather than only be able to choose the default one as currently implemented in LB/BB), would be much appreciated by a user like myself. that looks extremely convenient and useful! I've checked out your plugin in the past, but have not had a reason to utilize it yet. this would be my reason to finally start using it!

1 hour ago, Nixx said:

Well, i can put together an alpha version and an "how to" video, but since i don't have userbase, i can't garantie this work out of the box and i would probably need some feedbacks to correct potentials bugs.

Sure, no problem man! It's a work in progress and you would like feedback from us. I certainly understand that whole situation. You can count me in as a guinea pig for testing whenever you are ready to unveil it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skizzosjt said:

Sure, no problem man! It's a work in progress and you would like feedback from us. I certainly understand that whole situation. You can count me in as a guinea pig for testing whenever you are ready to unveil it!

I pushed a new BigBoxProfile version online, and i have made a tuto just for the Pause Menu.
I do not go into technical details, just to the point. It should work. Let me know if you have errors or bugs. (and don't hesitate to screenshot)

https://github.com/nixxou/BigBoxProfile/releases/tag/V2.0

The pause menu itself is just html & javascript code, where i added the ability to make ahk call though ajax call, so someone motivated can redesign it from scratch, add thumbs screenshots or stuff like that.
For me, the idea behind is that for some emulators, i want to add extra menu entry (like for example, switch between rumble pack and mempak on N64) and launchbox don't let me do that.
On the menu, Defaults gamepad controls should be Start to activate a menu option, up/down to navigate, left/right to adjust the volume. While on the menu, gamepad works only with the html code (so in my html file, i'm using this one https://github.com/kallaspriit/HTML5-JavaScript-Gamepad-Controller-Library/ )
On the bigbox profile module, when you set up the controller bind, it only work with Xinput controller 1 for the moment. Otherwise, you have to use keyboard bind.
The Pause module support Start and Stop display, but i did not bother coding a html page for that.

If you confirm that my code works, i can go into more details about how it works and what the options are doing.

Edited by Nixx

Hi @Nixx, trying to put my feedback in some sort of organized fashion here....

Startup Videos

Startup videos at launch of Big Box are now screwed up with BigBoxProfile installed. The video is "on top" as it should be but when I try to use any input to bypass the video and go into Big Box I can hear I am moving selections within Big Box already. I must ALT+TAB and close the video by using the mouse to X the video window via the ALT+TAB menu.

The Pause Screen

The customized Pause Screen, it kinda, sorta worked. It did come up as expected, but I can still see whatever Pause Menu I have selected within Big Box pop up momentarily prior to your customized one. When I turned off Pause Screens within Big Box this didn't happen anymore, and that makes some sense. So I suppose it should be advised users need to change settings within Big Box too as we don't want two Pause Screens getting activated. Seems things were confused when both Pause Screens were active. Focus and/or control was lost when I was in your customized Pause Screen, as in, navigation and keys were in fact controlling my Pause Screen in the background rather than the customized Pause Screen. The customized Pause Screen would also get stuck like this, couldn't exit back to game without ALT+TAB and closing the window. However, as long as Pause Screens were disabled in Big Box, the customized Pause Screen did have some functions work.  Resume, Reset, and Exit selections worked ok! Save/Load states, did not work ok!

Shutdown Screens

Applying the customized Pause Screen is breaking Shutdown Screens. From what I can tell, they get automatically triggered in the background as the game starts

Edit: removing a "non issue" or "false positive". My bad!

Save/Load States

The real bummer was it never made a save state for me. I did everything with Retroarch, and Sega Genesis and SNES cores and games. When I would click start on my controller to make a save to a save state it would return to the game. When I reopen the customized Pause Screen and go to load state or save state, they are all empty still. I couldn't figure out a way to get save/load states to work as shown in your previous video. I made sure to try it with Pause Screens both enabled and disabled from Big Box's menu. I also tried it with just keyboard input to make sure it wasn't something to do with the controller. Both keyboard and controller gave same results

Errors

I did get an error each time launching Big Box, but it was a LaunchBox/Big Box specific error, not one thrown by your Big Box Profile program (didn't realize this was a stand alone program, I assumed it was a plugin). Though it is obviously connected as this error only comes up after installing BigBoxProfile and configuring things as shown in your video. This just stayed up in the background as I used Big Box. Didn't seem to actually crash, freeze or prevent the program from operating as I didn't even discover it until manually closing Big Box as you normally would through the built in menu. Closing the error did not actually close Big Box either.

image.thumb.png.adf175f2a88ae8dda48ff93e494a86c4.png

After uninstalling your program all the issues I describe went away and I was able to return to my traditional setup no problem. I went through the setup process 3 separate times while watching your video. ie I installed/uninstalled BigBoxProfile 3 times. Due to things not working as intended, I wanted to make sure I didn't miss some critical step in the video , but each attempt ended up with the same results. I tried utilizing it in both LaunchBox and Big Box, but again, results were the same.

Sorry it was not more successful but you clearly have some neat ideas going on and wish you luck on sorting out the issues as you go along on this project! Should you want more feedback/testing in the future, I can help out then too!

Edited by skizzosjt
Removing an "issue" that isn't really an issue. False positive on my end