LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Crash on Startup after update attempt from BigBox

damageinc86

On 12/1/2023 at 3:23 AM, Retro808 said:

Anyone having this issue please do the workaround below (steps provided by our Devs). 

With LaunchBox closed:
Navigate to the folder you installed LaunchBox in.
Go to the Data folder inside of this folder
Open the Settings.xml file
Look for "EnableAutomatedImports" tag.  (It should be around line 54 - may not be exact depending in your build)
If it is Set to "true" change it to false
Save and close the file
Reopen LaunchBox

Mine is set to false.  My Launchbox still won't start up. 

CefSettings.BrowserSubprocessPath not found.

App:     
Version: 13.9-beta-2
Theme:   NOT SET
Type:    System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Site:    Boolean Initialize(CefSharp.Core.CefSettingsBase, Boolean, CefSharp.IApp)
Source:  CefSharp.Core.Runtime

at CefSharp.Core.Cef.Initialize(CefSettingsBase cefSettings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IApp cefApp)
   at CefSharp.Core.Cef.Initialize(CefSettingsBase cefSettings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IBrowserProcessHandler browserProcessHandler)
   at CefSharp.Cef.Initialize(CefSettingsBase settings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IBrowserProcessHandler browserProcessHandler) in C:\projects\cefsharp\CefSharp.Core\Cef.cs:line 154
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.App.InvokeSetter(Object , Boolean , Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.App..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.BigBoxProgram.Main()

Recent Log:

8:20:48 PM Exception

----

This happened after I started up BigBox and the notification for downloading a new version popped up, and I selected YES to do it,...then it all crashed and said Launchbox couldn't close all other programs.  Restarted computer, and now neither LB nor BB starts up.

7 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

Mine is set to false.  My Launchbox still won't start up. 

CefSettings.BrowserSubprocessPath not found.

App:     
Version: 13.9-beta-2
Theme:   NOT SET
Type:    System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Site:    Boolean Initialize(CefSharp.Core.CefSettingsBase, Boolean, CefSharp.IApp)
Source:  CefSharp.Core.Runtime

at CefSharp.Core.Cef.Initialize(CefSettingsBase cefSettings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IApp cefApp)
   at CefSharp.Core.Cef.Initialize(CefSettingsBase cefSettings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IBrowserProcessHandler browserProcessHandler)
   at CefSharp.Cef.Initialize(CefSettingsBase settings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IBrowserProcessHandler browserProcessHandler) in C:\projects\cefsharp\CefSharp.Core\Cef.cs:line 154
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.App.InvokeSetter(Object , Boolean , Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.App..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.BigBoxProgram.Main()

Recent Log:

8:20:48 PM Exception

----

This happened after I started up BigBox and the notification for downloading a new version popped up, and I selected YES to do it,...then it all crashed and said Launchbox couldn't close all other programs.  Restarted computer, and now neither LB nor BB starts up.

That’s because the error you are sharing is not one related to the store fronts issue. This error is something else. I am not sure what this one is. It is odd that it is showing that a theme is not set in that error log. I would recommend rerunning the installer. since you said this happened after accepting the update. Possibly something did not install correctly. In your \Updates folder should be the latest installer exe. Rerun it and before it finalizes confirm it is installing to \Launchbox folder and not \Launchbox\Launchbox.

15 hours ago, Retro808 said:

That’s because the error you are sharing is not one related to the store fronts issue. This error is something else. I am not sure what this one is. It is odd that it is showing that a theme is not set in that error log. I would recommend rerunning the installer. since you said this happened after accepting the update. Possibly something did not install correctly. In your \Updates folder should be the latest installer exe. Rerun it and before it finalizes confirm it is installing to \Launchbox folder and not \Launchbox\Launchbox.

yeah i realized the errors were actually different after i posted lol.  I went to an older beta, and then let it prompt me again upon startup to install the most recent beta, and everything is good now.  I wonder if it was because the first time I selected "yes" to update it was within BigBox?  This time I ran it from Launchbox.  Thanks for that tip!

3 minutes ago, Playgrnd said:

I had the exact same error message. I reinstalled 13.8 and it worked.  I am not going to update until this issue has been resolved.

If you're getting an error that the file is missing it's almost always because an overzealous AV application quarantined that file. It's the file that launches the chrome browser we use within apps and so some AV applications kill it because it opens a browser.

23 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

If you're getting an error that the file is missing it's almost always because an overzealous AV application quarantined that file. It's the file that launches the chrome browser we use within apps and so some AV applications kill it because it opens a browser.

Not my case.  I am however running Windows 8.1, not sure if this causes a problem.  I'm currently converting Hyperspin to Launchbox and I have not upgraded the OS as of yet.

39 minutes ago, Playgrnd said:

Not my case.  I am however running Windows 8.1, not sure if this causes a problem.  I'm currently converting Hyperspin to Launchbox and I have not upgraded the OS as of yet.

Keeping the thread updated - I am upgrading to Windows 10 as we speak.  I will resume 13.9 testing once the OS and all windows updates including Chrome is completed. 

2 hours ago, Playgrnd said:

Keeping the thread updated - I am upgrading to Windows 10 as we speak.  I will resume 13.9 testing once the OS and all windows updates including Chrome is completed. 

Final Update - upgraded to Windows 10 and applied all windows updates post install and this has resolved the issue.   Re-installed the Launchbox 13.9 setup, it prompted for the install of the .net developer kit once upgraded which I complied and installed.  I restarted LaunchBox and 13.9 is now fully functional. 

18 hours ago, Playgrnd said:

Final Update - upgraded to Windows 10 and applied all windows updates post install and this has resolved the issue.   Re-installed the Launchbox 13.9 setup, it prompted for the install of the .net developer kit once upgraded which I complied and installed.  I restarted LaunchBox and 13.9 is now fully functional. 

OK so it seems my initial assumption was correct. Started a separate thread on a similar browser-related error (that I will now close as it is redundant if confirmed) and I suspected the browser (Chrome) libraries issues would probably have to do with Windows 7 not supporting the latest ones, as per Google's announcement last January that anything below Win 10 being dropped from support and further updates because of more advanced security features inapplicable within older OSes. Will have to do with the workaround for now, as I'm not planning to upgrade until will into next month.

Yet, could anybody confirm this error is related to the same issue ? 
THanks

Edited by Gryzor1363

23 hours ago, Playgrnd said:

I have the same problem in Windows 10, what I should do?

4 hours ago, DedUp said:

I had the same issue with 13.9 on my Windows 7 machine.  I had to find the old 13.8 version in the Launchbox\Updates folder and reinstall that to get things working.

Exact same situation here.

You mean you only had that specific issue on 7 ? were you able to try on a Win 10 machine by any chance ?

Edited by Gryzor1363

2 hours ago, Gryzor1363 said:

Exact same situation here.

You mean you only had that specific issue on 7 ? were you able to try on a Win 10 machine by any chance ?

No.  I only own a desktop with Win 7 and a laptop with Win 8.1.  I haven't tried updating on the laptop.

THanks for the feedback @DedUp. Well... if the LB team formally confirm this and there is no workaround, and with Steam also set to drop support in a mere 15 days, it seems high time that we folks all finally move on from that venerable OS. I am set to receive a new SSD dedicated to a fresh Win 10 install on my end, Ironically ordered 24H hours before experiencing these issues on LB 😛

Edited by Gryzor1363