LaunchBox Community Forums

13.10 breaks Windows 7 support?

Aeravon

Long time user and forever license holder.

I run a Windows 7 machine for my arcade and have for a few years. 13.9 was working fine, and the 13.10 update for launchbox came out. Updated like usual and now I'm perpetually getting crashes attempting to launch with the following:
===============================
(Inner Exception)

A procedure imported by 'D:\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\Chromium\CefSharp.Core.Runtime.dll' could not be loaded.

App:     
Version: 13.10
Theme:   NOT SET
Type:    System.IO.FileLoadException
Site:    Void LoadFromPath(IntPtr, System.String, System.String, System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ObjectHandleOnStack)
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromPath(IntPtr ptrNativeAssemblyLoadContext, String ilPath, String niPath, ObjectHandleOnStack retAssembly)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromAssemblyPath(String assemblyPath)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.<>c.LoginSessionObject(Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.<>c.ManageInvalidReader(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs e)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.InvokeResolveEvent(ResolveEventHandler eventHandler, RuntimeAssembly assembly, String name)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.OnAssemblyResolve(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)

(Outer Exception)

A procedure imported by 'CefSharp.Core.Runtime, Version=117.2.40.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138' could not be loaded.

App:     
Version: 13.10
Theme:   NOT SET
Type:    System.IO.FileLoadException
Site:    Void .ctor()
Source:  CefSharp.Core

at CefSharp.CefSettingsBase..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Recent Log:

4:37:55 PM Exception
============================
I had a restore point to 13.5 which I did, and launchbox ran fine again and other than losing any changes I made since then, was okay. But then I tried to update to 13.10 again and returned to same error on launch and can no longer use the product. The machine isn't Windows 11 capable, and I don't have a spare license of 10 to use so please don't tell me to update my OS. Either the product works on the OS or it doesn't now; so what internal component of Launchbox is trying to leverage aspects of chromium that don't exist in Windows 7 and disqualify it? Is this a bug? Is this a graduation of the product to no longer support Windows 7 and 8? But that we didn't get warned? Installing Chrome as a separate product doesn't help.

TL:DR
Windows 7, 13.9 and all previous versions ran great, 13.10 broke it.

I found the other thread about this just now.... I really, really hate that 13.10 made no OS check or warning about it no longer supporting Win7 or 8 and blasted a bunch of people. This is a pretty big mistake in communication.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Oscar18T said:

Hello everyone.

This issue have a fix????

Fix for what exactly? That error is due to the fact LB is no longer supported Win 7 or 8. Last workable version of LB on those two older OS is 13.9. If you are using Win 7 or 8 you need to reinstall 13.9 or older or update Windows to be able to use more current versions of LB. 

Always makes me laugh, seems to be absolutely essential that the user be on the latest version of Launchbox, but at the same time is using a OS that came out 15 years ago and is completely unsupported at this point, why one standard for one bit of software and a different standard for the other? Nobody should be using these old operating systems at this point, they are a security issue as they are end of life and no longer updated to stop current day threats.

On January 14, 2020, Windows 7 support ended with Microsoft no longer providing security updates or fixes after that date, except for subscribers of the Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU), who were able to receive Windows 7 security updates through January 10, 2023.

Mainstream support for the Embedded Standard edition of Windows 8 ended on July 10, 2018, and extended support ended on July 11, 2023.

Edited by neil9000

• 1 month later...

I am having the same error after it auto updated last night. I tried to install an older version of LB but still getting that error. I hope I can recover by possibly performing windows recovery from one of the stable working state.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2024 at 10:17 AM, neil9000 said:

why one standard for one bit of software and a different standard for the other?

Windows 10 runs terribly on old hardware. Meanwhile, Launchbox and DOSBox run great in Win7 on the same hardware.

I myself have a laptop from 2004 that has no performance issues under Windows 7. If I try to put 10 on it, the CPU usage is at a near-constant 100%. Why would I want to upgrade the entire operating system for a software update?

Newer versions of software don't necessarily take up more resources. Newer versions of an OS absolutely do.

And why would security updates matter on a machine dedicated entirely to running emulated games?

Edited by chinagreenelvis

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I directly asked LaunchBox support on how to resolve the issue:

Windows 7 users should (re)install LaunchBox 13.8 (last WORKING version on Win 7...as it seems). It worked for me!

Here's a link to LB 13.8 if you ever need it:

link removed