LaunchBox Community Forums

I like the new Games DB layout and all....but....Recommendations

MJF

4 minutes ago, MJF said:

The last submission I made never even asked for a REASON for my submission. To me, that's detrimental, because it opens the door for TROLL SUBMISSIONS.

Yeah, definitely not the intent of the update. Are you able to provide a walkthrough of exactly what you did?

8 minutes ago, JereBear said:

MJF is correct. There is no place to leave a reason when adding or editing game details.

There is a reason box when adding/changing images though. 

Yes, I should be more specific, it's only for editing game info, not for adding or submitting changes to images

For more context... It asks you for a reason if you are editing images like this

BRWfk9F.png

However when submitting detail changes nothing comes up even after you press submit:

NMN6LLj.png

There is no reason field, it ends with video field, and doesn't ask for a reason after pressing the submit button either. For example for this game the overview says there is co-op, so I changed it to yes, but it didn't ask for a reason. This is especially detrimental when someone tries to delete games without having to provide a valid reason

Edited by MJF

• Retro808 changed the title to I like the new Ganes DB layout and all....but....Recommendations

@MJF I combined this thread with the new one you made about the missing yearly. This way we can keep any update recommendations in one spot for the team to see instead of looking through multiple threads. 

Going forward please use this thread for any recommendations to the new GamesDB layout. 

• Retro808 changed the title to I like the new Games DB layout and all....but....Recommendations

Not something that went missing from the update this time, but I'm not opposed to the ability to region tag publishers, would come in handy when adding publishers for other regions other than North America.

I'm all for innovation but I also firmly believe in "If it aint broke, don't fix it." That being said, please add the ability to use the old Games DB Layout. It's going to take a long while to get used to the new one, plus some features are missing...although the dark mode is a plus

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barefootben said:

The inability to quickly search by year has made the database unusable as a database. Games just say 'released' with no date mentioned unless you click into each game individually which is not practical.

Are referring to somewhere specific as I do see release dates? At least in most platforms they are there and some games appear to be missing the date which would need users to edit and add. 

It would be nice to be able to enter a date and have the DB filter to games released in that month/year. At least in the new DB current development state I cannot see a way to do that. 

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 7.48.29 AM.png

I'm referring to the year date that shows when clicking into a game. Take the Adventures of Lolo on your screenshot - There's no date on the Gameboy page, but if you click into the game's page, the date is listed as 1996. In the old format this date was listed for each game when you browse via platform, which made using control+F super easy to find the year you want (old screenshot attached via wayback machine)

image.thumb.png.c0619c2eee16b0c6f7a42c96761f1d83.pngimage.thumb.png.868f1faa0c466cced4c5a81d825fe5f0.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, barefootben said:

I'm referring to the year date that shows when clicking into a game. Take the Adventures of Lolo on your screenshot - There's no date on the Gameboy page, but if you click into the game's page, the date is listed as 1996. In the old format this date was listed for each game when you browse via platform, which made using control+F super easy to find the year you want (old screenshot attached via wayback machine)

image.thumb.png.c0619c2eee16b0c6f7a42c96761f1d83.pngimage.thumb.png.868f1faa0c466cced4c5a81d825fe5f0.png

Ahh, so it looks if it does not have a full Day-Month-Year date in the game's details it will not show anything on the main page.

So it is not a case of it affecting everything just games without DD/MM/YYYY in the release date field.

• Like 1