LaunchBox Community Forums

Future of Playlists

AquaJew

In concept, I love the idea of the playlist system. Maybe I'm not *quite* understanding how to use them, but it feels a little hacky at the moment. To view your playlists, you change the main view to playlists specificially, then when you click on a playlist it's just a subsection of All Games. 

I would love for this feature to get enhanced quite a bit. For example:
* The playlist system can have comletely different views as everything else. When I'm viewing a playlist, I can view items as list items, while in normal view it's in Images view
* Different sorting in the playlist system. I would want to sort by a custom order, or at minimum by release date. 
* View would show achievements for each game (I think the Omni theme has something similar), and maybe sections for first-opened, total time played, date completed, etc.

I think this feature can realy be something amazing if it got some more love and attention. In the meantime it works as a grouping list, though.

Are there any roadmap plans for coming back to playlists in the future?

Playlists can also be viewed in Platform Category if the playlist has a root set (I can count on one hand how many times I've ever used Playlist filter). They also can have their own sorting method set in the Edit Playlist window (right click the playlist, hit edit. Option is on the first page). Regarding achievements those are show in game details or on the game grid with the achievement badge enabled as well.

3 hours ago, xevious1974 said:

Here you can find something to vote

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6928/having-different-category-platform

Different theme for each platform, playlist and so on, can creat different world

maybe you like the idea

Unless I am really misunderstanding your post and the ticket, platforms and playlists can already have different themes as well as views. A theme creator can even code specific looks for a platform or playlist within the multiple view options (wall, wheel, and text) in their theme from the get go. 

Example themes and view use:

You can set BannerBox as your main theme.

Then:

1.SNES platform could use Default theme and be on Wall view

2. Arcade platform could use Unified theme and be on WheelGames view

3. Mario playlist could use Colorful theme and be on TextList view.

As you see you can create a varying different set of themes and views for each and every platform and playlist. 

Example of dedicate theme views:

Colorful theme can have a global WheelGames view and then for the Mario playlist create an even more defined WheelGames view and do the same for GameBoy platform and so on. Creating specific unique views for each and every platform or playlist if so desired. 

On 3/23/2024 at 12:29 PM, Retro808 said:

Unless I am really misunderstanding your post and the ticket, platforms and playlists can already have different themes as well as views. A theme creator can even code specific looks for a platform or playlist within the multiple view options (wall, wheel, and text) in their theme from the get go. 

Sorry @Retro808,

you are right, I am confusing terms, I have proposed that ticket years ago and I was making a mistake. What I'd like to change is this:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6223/option-for-remember-platform-category-view

I have my platform and playlist set in a different way, but I'd like to set the Platform category in a different way. Arcade, computers, Playlist, console, movie and so on

Sorry for the misunderstanding

5 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

Sorry @Retro808,

you are right, I am confusing terms, I have proposed that ticket years ago and I was making a mistake. What I'd like to change is this:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6223/option-for-remember-platform-category-view

I have my platform and playlist set in a different way, but I'd like to set the Platform category in a different way. Arcade, computers, Playlist, console, movie and so on

Sorry for the misunderstanding

No worries. Yeah unfortunately Categories is not as customizable yet. I would like to see it be updated as well to allow specific themes and/or views for the Category level. 

• Like 1