LaunchBox Community Forums

Roms showing in Launchbox verse what is in the rom Folder

Starbuck

I am using the No-intro Rom sets and understand that when you point your launchbox games folder to said folder it should display all the roms in Launchbox. In every case the number of roms in my rom folder has more roms then are showing in Launcbox. Example: Nintendo DS has 7365 roms in my no-intro folder. Launchbox only shows 3977 entres. Most differeneces are 100 or less. The DS folder is the most different. Is this because the Launchbox database does not have the other entries in it, so it skips these. Or, which is probably the case I am doing domething wrong.

I think most ROM files end up combined. it will not make an entry for a USA, Japan, and Europe version of a ROM for example. It will combine them. So your three ROM files are a single entry into LB. whether or not a game is in the LB Database doesn't even matter. if you did import a game with no entry in the database then it doesn't fill in any metadata or download media automatically, but the entry will still exist in your LB library and its title will be the file's name since that's literally the only bit of info it can go off of

As @skizzosjt is eluding to, if you want each ROM file to import to a distinct game inside of LaunchBox you need to uncheck "Combine games..." in the import wizard. By default it's on and will condense multiple game versions into one master record.

7365 games? I take a sec to think about that, and that sounds like an absurdly high number!

image.thumb.png.1dc0fd7ebd42da354392226133c29c47.png

I kinda doubt you have 3000 ROM hacks and unreleased or prototype versions, etc that could pad the total games to double its size. I would bet they are mostly regional versions. I look at the no intro ROM set from the roms megathread, copy the list of games, paste into a spreadsheet to see how many cells it fills and it does indeed have 7300 entries, exactly. but that does not mean you will have 7300 entries in LB!

multiple versions of the games will be combined. for example, all 5 versions of "Blood Stone" will be a single game entry in LB (assuming Combine Games is checked)

image.png.a546980141e37a30e59a2cc9b0eab701.png

You probably need to delete all the games and then reimport if you're determined on having 7300 separate entries. Make sure the Combine Games checkbox is unchecked when you do reimport.

Have the same issue on all the no-into sets. Some show in Launchbox with only a different of 20 to 100 verses what is in my No-intro roms folders. What sets is everyone using so they match.

Other than MAME full set importer LaunchBox is completely agnostic regarding what you're passing in. When you run the import for the first time on a platform in the last page of the import where it lists the games about to be imported. Are you seeing the number you expect to there or no?

I am not.  Even if I run an audit they don't show. Have ran the importer on several of the no intro sets and they never match. Curious if any one else are using the no-into sets. Intetresting enough I tried the no intro sets in several other frontend and they all showed up. When I ran a scaper on them they all scaped. 

Current results on some of the smaller No-intro sets.

2600 - No Intro: 830 ,  Launchbox 615

5200 - No Intro: 168 , Launchbox 108

7800 - No Intro: 178 , Launchbox 120  + Ran the importer on this sytem, a second time and it now shows the 120 amount but now showing with 240 roms in launchbox so the origional 120 is doubled. and launcbox show 2 enries for each rom and scrapes as such.

Colecovision - No Intro: 202, Launchbox 173

It appears that for what ever reason Launchbox does not like No-intro sets. Not sure why.

Before I set up the no-intro sets, Launchbox showed exactly what I had in each rom folder. When I changed to the no-intro sets my problem started.

Guess my best bet is to go back to my old rom sets. Using no-Intro sets made sense to me as I could updated them on a monthly basis and launchbox would add the new enties.

Thank you for yopur help C-Beats

On 5/2/2024 at 6:10 AM, Starbuck said:

I am not.  Even if I run an audit they don't show. Have ran the importer on several of the no intro sets and they never match. Curious if any one else are using the no-into sets. Intetresting enough I tried the no intro sets in several other frontend and they all showed up. When I ran a scaper on them they all scaped. 

7800 - No Intro: 178 , Launchbox 120  + Ran the importer on this sytem, a second time and it now shows the 120 amount but now showing with 240 roms in launchbox so the origional 120 is doubled. and launcbox show 2 enries for each rom and scrapes as such.

It appears that for what ever reason Launchbox does not like No-intro sets. Not sure why.

Before I set up the no-intro sets, Launchbox showed exactly what I had in each rom folder. When I changed to the no-intro sets my problem started.

Guess my best bet is to go back to my old rom sets. Using no-Intro sets made sense to me as I could updated them on a monthly basis and launchbox would add the new enties.

Just tested with a No-Intro I have for Coleco and it imported all roms. The set I have is only 201 files but you can see in the import UI it is importing all 201 and in the bottom left of the rom file image you see 201 items. A2600 was the same as well. 832 files in that No-Intro and LB imported 832.

In all these I unchecked the combine option and checked the Force Import Duplicate option. With that off it reduced the number imported. 

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 7.13.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 7.15.08 AM.png

1 hour ago, Starbuck said:

No-Intro ARE the preferred set and if we had issues like what you're describing globally are forums/emails would be flooded with people complaining. Can you post up a screenshot of your folder contents, and then also another of the last page of the import wizard (the game select page where it tells you how many files it found to import).

Thank you once again for helping me with this C-Beats. 4 screenshots attached. 

1) No-intro Roms Folder - Atari 2600

2) Launchbox  before Import - Atari 2600

3) Import showing correct amount - Matches what is in the No-Intro Folder

4) After Import

After inport, I show more than the 830 roms. Have a lot of duplicates. Will I have to delete each system one at a time and do a new import. Also when I update my no-intro sets.Do I do a import and  will the count again have duplicates Or will Launchbox automately pick up the new roms when it starts.. If It does why is Launchbox not pickingn up the new roms in my No-intro folder that were not in my origional roms folder.

2) Launchbox folder before Import.jpg

1) No-Intro Roms folder.jpg

4) After Import.jpg

3) Import showing correct amount.jpg

Can you do the following:

Delete the Atari 2600 platform (right click it on the left and press delete, say yes to both windows
Run the Atari 2600 rom import again, on the page that lets you pick various options like force import, combine games, etc make sure there are no checkboxes checked. Also do not download media at all.
Ensure the number on the import wizard's last page still has the correct number of files reported.
Import the games and see what number you have.
If less than the number of files then zip up your \\LaunchBox\Data folder and send it my way via PM

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

@C-Beats and @Starbuck I would recommend checking "Force Import Duplicates" when I did my tests not having it on reduced the import totals. See my prior post on that. 

Was thinking we still pulled all on initial grab without that but you're right. Yeah @Starbuck if you could check that one, we can go from there.

Posted (edited)

Checked "Force Import Duplicates"  and it took my existing roms and added all of what was in my new no-inro folder giving me my origonial 640 _ the 800  and something in no-intro.giving me over 1400 roms

Edited by Starbuck

I origionaly had my folders in the root of launchbox under gaems where Launchbox created the folders. Due to the increase size of media etc. I elected to put my roms on a remote drive. I since went back and made new folders under games under launchbox and put the No-intro roms under folders with the names of the folders used by Launchbox. This way I can go in at any time and do a daily build update in Clrmamepro and it would do all the work. I did this because of the fantastic update Launchbox did in the 13.# update with importing new roms when available. I went in and under each paltform settings I added the new rom folders location and name.  I did notice that until I completely changed all the systems, everytime I rerstaerted Launcbox it created the system folders again  even throught I no longer needed. I just went in and manually deleted them. Images have always and still are being created under Launchbox in the image folders. But even though I have 1 image per category clicked it makes a new image for the duplicates renumbering them 01 - 02 - 03 etc. (See attached)

Is there a setting where Launchbox will name the roms as they are named in their folders. Example: My old setup I created my playlists - English Japan, Homebrew etc. from my roms and it worked fine. My goal this time was to make No-inro my main list and down the line add in Aftermarket, Unreleased etc., Japan etc that doesn't make it into no-Intro. Example bing Colecovision and  the Atari Systems are putting out new games almost weekly and it will be awhile before they get into No-Intro. As you can  see in the Image folder there is no difference in a rom regardless where it is made. So if I wan to play the japan version of a No-ntro rom and there is a USA one I have tom guess which is which.

Image folder.jpg

25 minutes ago, Starbuck said:

Images have always and still are being created under Launchbox in the image folders. But even though I have 1 image per category clicked it makes a new image for the duplicates renumbering them 01 - 02 - 03 etc. (See attached)

Image folder.jpg

That because LB is not seeing duplicate images. LB logic is appending the images with -01, -02, etc. as it allows for multiple images. When you download images if you set the limit to 1 (or really any number) you should also check the box for the option "Remove Roughly Matched Duplicate Images". It is on the same screen as where you select the image limit. It is a recommended setting to have on. This way LB will compare the images and not download if it looks like a true duplicate (as in same metadata). 

As a note the images you have in this pic if you look are not actually duplicates meaning it the same image with the same metadata. It is truly 2 different image designs.