LaunchBox Community Forums

The Great Game Gauntlet đź‘‘ DAY 4

AstroBob

The Great Game Gauntlet: Round 4  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your vote for the game you’d like to see advance to the next round!

• Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2
    • Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
    • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
    • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania
    • Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series

Rules ℹ️

• For a full list of rules and details on this event, please check out our master post here
  • To be eligible to win, make sure you vote on the poll and answer the question via the comments section of this post

DAY 4 🏅

Welcome to Day 4 of the Great Game Gauntlet! 👑 With LaunchBox embodying the spirit of collecting, we’re on a quest to discover: What makes a great video game collection? 

Today, we're looking at:

Remastered Duology Collections!

Continuing yesterday’s theme of remasters, today we’re focusing on duology collections. Whether it’s an “HD” makeover or a complete reworking of both games from the ground up with some added bonuses, these paired games are inseparable in our minds. The duology remastered combo offers great value, making it hard to imagine one without the other.

Today’s lineup of games contains classic duologies that have been remastered in some shape or form for modern platforms:

6f39cf2c11945e47f55e60fa895d5626.thumb.png.84b3d1e00668db98ad46017e6f56f45f.pngbc1dba18530dcba2b3117b5b375a15eb.thumb.jpg.17e34f2204dd56fed982211ff89d4994.jpg8926645de0f0c17b25e116b3355aa1c2.thumb.jpg.df9daef4b01bfbcf7cec910f7fa767af.jpg61e40dcc81ba8af77abf214784b2ffd7.thumb.jpg.bac80cea7d73156eaa162b36d01d10b6.jpg6b205761624c23f1a651621dcbf02ec2.thumb.png.da31c75212b197f0903381452d2f85b4.png

A lot of folks yesterday mentioned that graphic and audio overhauls are key to a great remaster, with mixed opinions on controls and gameplay updates (game-dependent). Another interesting topic that came up was bonus content, so we're going to dive into that.

If you want a chance to win one of the above games, make sure to cast your vote for the game you’d like to see advance to the next round and answer this question:

❓What types of bonus content do you think takes a remaster or collection to the next level ❓

What types of bonus content take a collection from a simple re-release to an incredible package? Do you love concept art, manuals, developer interviews, or something more substantial like unreleased playable prototypes? Share your thoughts, and feel free to give examples of bonus content done right—or suggest something new that no one has done before but would be awesome to see.

We’d love to hear what you think! 🕹️ 

• Like 2

I’ll get us started! I’m a big fan of the “interactive museum” feature. Games like Kirby’s Dream Collection do this incredibly well by placing the included games within a timeline. It’s such a great way to see how far the series has come and to discover all the fun little trivia points from that era. It adds so much context and nostalgia to the experience!

GoogleChrome2024-08-293_26_06PM.thumb.png.53af5d4a99f0edf2c051956f874bfa28.png

• Unusual Gem 1

A section with rare artwork and illustrations is something I always look forward to cause it gives me the chance to see alternate styles or views of my favorite games I never would've experienced.

If there are separate games I can unlock or secrets to uncover while I progress throughout my sessions it shows the developers appreciate my time. This in turn makes me want to come back for more. Sonic Mega Collection is a perfect example of how to do this.

• Game On 1

1 minute ago, zyute said:

Sonic Mega Collection is a perfect example of how to do this.

Ooooh very good pick! Yes Sonic Mega Collection is definitely up there with some of the best value and extra content in a collection!

I was always a fan of the X series of MegaMan instead of the Nes series.

I bought the original Megaman X Collection 2006 back then.

I  was overjoyed when they release another Megaman X Collection, so many extras and new modes.

R~2.jpeg

Screenshot_20240829-002947~2.png

Screenshot_20240829-003026~2.png

Screenshot_20240829-003323~2.png

Screenshot_20240829-003250~2.png

Screenshot_20240829-003304~2.png

Edited by Sonic Black 81

• Interesting artwork or gameplay ideas that never made it to the final cut of the game

I like how this was done in BioShock Remastered. They created an actual playable map level to explore with all the bonus content, it was called the "Museum of Orphaned Concepts". 

Museum_Remaster_11.thumb.webp.827dbb700ffd0c9600f604d138ef92e6.webp

Edited by Acethor
  • Like 2

BioShock Remastered was also the first thing coming to my mind. As much as I like any form of "museum style" bonus content, it is much more intense when it integrates in the world and mood of the game in question.

But I also appreciate the little things like the "authentic" playrooms in some of the Classic Console Collections were you actually pick the cartridge of the shelf and put it into the console. It's all about the atmosphere.

• Like 1

I'm playing the recently released DOOM 1+2 and the new remixed OST on top of the game really makes the game shine.

Here's one of my fav tracks (which is basically a Slayer song that also MIGHT be "inspired" by Metallica lol): 

Edited by virividiann1198

Mines a little cheeky as they have just announced it but Croc the Legend of the Gobbos 1 is getting a remake, id love to see Croc 2 as well, it would be fun to have background and history about development of the games to show what they planned/considered and maybe development versions to play alongside

Edited by DemmyTree

1 hour ago, DemmyTree said:

Mines a little cheeky as they have just announced it but Croc the Legend of the Gobbos 1

YES! I saw this as well, maybe give us some developer diaries who thought those tank controls were a good idea ;) But that's part of its charm ❤️

• Like 1

Simple things like manuals, original box art and concept art images are the bare minimum to include. Cut content is something I like to delve into and I welcome any collection that includes those. Developer commentary in audio form can be interesting , but then I really have to care about the game(s) enough to listen to them. If there's a prototype/beta of a game that's vastly different from the final product, then it makes sense to include that as well if possible.

I do agree with the interactive museum aspect, those are neat if done right.

Edited by Jakatsu

To me a developer commentary is a goodie in a remaster or remake that I'd like to see more often. They don't have to be as goofy as in Half Life 2 where there's actual objects in the world floating around that you can interact with. I really liked playing Deus Ex Human Revolution with the commentary on and hearing that group of developers talk about old concepts that have been tossed or how an idea took shape. 

All of us here play retro games. Let's be honest, we don't need remakes at all we have launchbox filled with all these games. If you're making a remake give us NEW content. Purists would get mad at me but as long it's not bad like content added to BG1/2 with the remakes, I don't see why not. Extra dungeon, director cut changes and so on

• The Cake is a Lie 2