LaunchBox Community Forums

Futurestate Theme 4.1

(13 reviews)

7 Screenshots

About This File

Updated to 3.0 See Details in Change log

A elegant and modern feeling theme that tries to keep details to a minimum.

Warning

Must be using Launchbox 7.1+ to use the theme

Unique Features

• 6 custom views
  • Images were created from scratch especially for this theme
  • Different view based around 16:9 or 4:3 videos 
  • Custom Favorite, Broken and Completed symbols
  • Default Black and White theme that blends with most images
  • Custom Futurestate Background Videos
  • Simple Views with liberal use of game information on selection pages

Install instructions

Works with Launchbox version 7.1+

• Do a clean unzip into your themes folder, it is recommended to not right over a previous version
  • Make sure to install the font inside the Font Folder if you would like to use the custom font

Alternative Views

Alternative view are views requested by users that alter the default theme. I try to fulfill requests if they are reasonable but may not update the files in newer iterations. 

*use at your own risk*

Futurestate no info wheelgamesview.zip - This is a 4:3 Game View that removes all text over top of the game video.

Futurestate Themes

*Download the skins in the Themes download tab

There are a few variations for skinning Futurestate in the works. To use these create backup of your existing Images/Theme folder and copy the contents of the zip files over top of the original locations.  

Put my Photoshop skills to the test! Request one and I will see what I can do!

**These files over write the default Futurestate skin!

Futurestate Ruby

Futurestate_Skin-_Ruby.zipCapture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Also check out the RetroState theme located here by Scottad! @Scottad

Futurestate_Skin-_Ruby.zip

What's New in Version 4.1   See changelog

Released

- Rewrote Platform Wheel 1 and Platform Wheel 3 to include some game details under the cover flow wheel. Added some optimization in loading data by creating image based shadows

- Dropped the frame rate on the Futurestate Animated video for smoother navigation (60fps version is still in the images folder)

-Removed the video from the option menu, I think there is a bug that compounds the video every time you enter the options menu, this was leading to degraded performance after 2-3 trips to the options menu

-Updated some of the PNGs with a slightly different style

-Added a different font and a new font dll so users no longer need to install the themes fonts

Whats to come

-Finish updating all existing views with 

-Add HexControls Screenshots to Detail Views

-Full screen video theme background views using horizontal coverflow

-Implement Ao.Bigbox.Themer.dll to add it's awesome video control

-May come up with an original skin

FutureState41.zip

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hello guys!

Someone can help me?

The option "Platforms Wheel with Image, Details" isn't appearing for me. Just "Platform Wheel 1", 2, 3, 4 and "Text list with details".

I'm using the latest beta (7.0 beta 4).

Thanks in advance!

The new beta Jason released gets rid of 'Platforms Wheel with Image' 

'Platform Wheel 1' is the same view.

Hope that helps. I will revise the description tommorrow

I love this theme! I was able to throw in my platform clear logos and banners (took me a few minutes to figure out they're implemented as "devices" not "banners" but that's okay) and it looks great! If I had one request it would be that the highlight color be changed to white. The current dark gray color is honestly quite hard to distinguish from a non-highlighted box. Other than that, I'm loving it. Thank you!

One issue I encountered though was with the background video in Platform Wheel 3 (which is a really neat idea by the way!). For some reason it wouldn't loop properly for me. It would get to the end (zoom in and then back out) and then just hang there for about 10-15 seconds before starting again (and not quite at the beginning either). I tried a number of different videos of a similar nature (stuff like this) from around the web in its place just to see what would happen - some looped properly, some didn't. So I loaded up your video in Vegas Pro 14 and re-rendered it to Sony AVC MP4 and that actually fixed it. I tried this on a few of the other videos I had tried, and it fixed it for some, but not for others. Very strange. In the cases where it wouldn't loop, the issue persisted whether using WMP or VLC engines.

12 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

I love this theme! I was able to throw in my platform clear logos and banners (took me a few minutes to figure out they're implemented as "devices" not "banners" but that's okay) and it looks great! If I had one request it would be that the highlight color be changed to white. The current dark gray color is honestly quite hard to distinguish from a non-highlighted box. Other than that, I'm loving it. Thank you!

One issue I encountered though was with the background video in Platform Wheel 3 (which is a really neat idea by the way!). For some reason it wouldn't loop properly for me. It would get to the end (zoom in and then back out) and then just hang there for about 10-15 seconds before starting again (and not quite at the beginning either). I tried a number of different videos of a similar nature (stuff like this) from around the web in its place just to see what would happen - some looped properly, some didn't. So I loaded up your video in Vegas Pro 14 and re-rendered it to Sony AVC MP4 and that actually fixed it. I tried this on a few of the other videos I had tried, and it fixed it for some, but not for others. Very strange. In the cases where it wouldn't loop, the issue persisted whether using WMP or VLC engines.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

I am will try and re-encode the video on my next update and see how that works. In testing I came across a similar issue on a different encoding then I went with, I changed it to the current thinking I had fixed it. Guess not.

As far as changing the colour of the selection bar, you are correct, my intention is to replace that in my next update as well.

That being said, my hands are tied until probably next week at this point so those changes won't be made until them. 

8 minutes ago, Hexxxer said:

I am will try and re-encode the video on my next update and see how that works. In testing I came across a similar issue on a different encoding then I went with, I changed it to the current thinking I had fixed it. Guess not.

If you'd like, I'm happy to send you the render that I did. It's a larger file size than the original (I think it's about 40MB) as I wanted to avoid quality loss as much as possible. I could do a different one with a lower bitrate if you want.

11 minutes ago, Hexxxer said:

As far as changing the colour of the selection bar, you are correct, my intention is to replace that in my next update as well.

It actually isn't the selection bar that I had an issue with (the Platform Wheel 3 view doesn't even use it). It's the highlight color when you're hovered over a game box - it's dark grey (it's blue in the default theme). It's very hard to distinguish a highlighted/selected box from one that isn't. White would be much easier to see. I can take a screenshot of it tonight if I need to.

15 minutes ago, Hexxxer said:

That being said, my hands are tied until probably next week at this point so those changes won't be made until them. 

No worries and no rush!

Hey,

I still love that theme. I'd like to see a platform view with the video in full screen with the disappearing wheel if there is a will to update eventually.

Again love this theme!

I don't know why but i don't have the videos running for some platforms like Sony's playstation, only the audio. If i want them to run, i have to chose the 4th option which get rids of the favorites games :/ Any idea why?

Edit: Switching from VLC player to windows one in BigBox settings did the trick :)

Edited by demeth

Cool @Hexxxer,

I'd like to see a platform view with the video in full screen with the disappearing wheel.

FutureState is still my favorite theme for my arcade cab and living room setup!

Good to see ya getting back into it @Hexxxer, I would love a box art view of some description, preferably a low horizontal view, but if you have the know-how to put that in a vertical view i'd love to see that also. :)  

@Hexxxer Glad to see you back at it...the Futurestate theme is one of my favorites! There has been a lot of great features added since Futurestate was created..I would love to see a fullscreen platform view added with Grilla's code of the faded in and out clear logos and maybe some added game views but whatever you do,please do not get rid of the game view with the scanlines. That is my favorite game view but I would maybe like to see the boxart maybe a little smaller in that view since sometimes it blocks the video when using the Hyperspin themes for the arcade platform. I am a sucker for scanlines:) Whatever you come up with I am sure it will be great!

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 5:02 PM, Hexxxer said:

The new beta Jason released gets rid of 'Platforms Wheel with Image' 

'Platform Wheel 1' is the same view.

Hope that helps. I will revise the description tommorrow

Really really like v4 new view with the wheel that sows the description on top.  Favorite game view on launchbox for sure.  Great work.

19 hours ago, Klamp said:

Really really like v4 new view with the wheel that sows the description on top.  Favorite game view on launchbox for sure.  Great work.

Thanks, I hope to be able to bring some more updates to the theme in the next few weeks.

This is my favorite theme right now! However, I can't seem to have the videos playing once I select the platform!

The theme manages to find the platform/game videos on the main menu (I put it to randomize the game videos), however, once I select the platform, it shows the game logos with scanlines instead of the actual game video!

Can someone help me?? 

notfinding_video.png

notfinding_video2.png

mainmenu_working.png

14 hours ago, GodElite said:

This is my favorite theme right now! However, I can't seem to have the videos playing once I select the platform!

The theme manages to find the platform/game videos on the main menu (I put it to randomize the game videos), however, once I select the platform, it shows the game logos with scanlines instead of the actual game video!

Can someone help me?? 

notfinding_video.png

notfinding_video2.png

mainmenu_working.png

I am slowly working my way and updating views. I changed an option in the Theme Config file in version 4 and forgot it would change the other views.

I am super busy with work, kids and school at the moment but have been making progress!

• Like 1

On 03/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, Hexxxer said:

I am slowly working my way and updating views. I changed an option in the Theme Config file in version 4 and forgot it would change the other views.

I am super busy with work, kids and school at the moment but have been making progress!

No problem my friend, I understand completely! Just want to thank you for making the best Big Box theme in my opinion!

If it's not much hassle, can I ask you something? I wanted to include the game cart or the game cd disk into the view like the attached files. 

Is this something possible without much work? maybe editing some .xml and including the cart variable and disc variable and x and y position perhaps?

Keep up the amazing work!

PSX_NORMAL.png

PSX_WITH_DISC.png

SNES_NORMAL.png

SNES_WITH_CART.png

Sorry to bother again, is there anyway to fix the NINTENDO DS views for the main video and for the individual game video?

See the pictures for the example: on the main menu, the video for the NDS is vertical and therefore it would be cool to be centered in the middle. On the game selection screen, the theme stretches these "vertical" videos and it's ugly.

Any ideas??

many thanks!

Nintendo DS_1.png

Nintendo DS_2.png

Nintendo DS_CORRECT.png

5 hours ago, GodElite said:

Sorry to bother again, is there anyway to fix the NINTENDO DS views for the main video and for the individual game video?

See the pictures for the example: on the main menu, the video for the NDS is vertical and therefore it would be cool to be centered in the middle. On the game selection screen, the theme stretches these "vertical" videos and it's ugly.

Any ideas??

many thanks!

Nintendo DS_1.png

Nintendo DS_2.png

Nintendo DS_CORRECT.png

Sorry, I am away for a few days, I can help out on Tuesday with some of your requests.

Nintendo DS is a hard system to theme because of the odd resolution, ill give it some thought though.

Hi Hexxer, great job with the update! 

It fixed something that I was suspicious of but wasn't sure (degraded performance after 2-3 trips to the options menu).

However, I still prefer the version 3.1 main menu version - where it doesn't fade to the platform info and history box with the banner.

Can I ask you just how can I update my 3.1 theme to show the Nintendo DS videos centered and on their original ratio (not stretched)? And also what files should I replace to fix the "degraded" performance bug?

Many thanks and keep up the amazing work!

It's not that simple, let me stew on it for a night and I can try to whip a single view for version 4.1 you can use

3 hours ago, GodElite said:

Hi Hexxer, great job with the update! 

It fixed something that I was suspicious of but wasn't sure (degraded performance after 2-3 trips to the options menu).

However, I still prefer the version 3.1 main menu version - where it doesn't fade to the platform info and history box with the banner.

Can I ask you just how can I update my 3.1 theme to show the Nintendo DS videos centered and on their original ratio (not stretched)? And also what files should I replace to fix the "degraded" performance bug?

Many thanks and keep up the amazing work!

On 10/11/2017 at 9:41 PM, Hexxxer said:

It's not that simple, let me stew on it for a night and I can try to whip a single view for version 4.1 you can use

Just a heads up, I have not forgotten about this but I am still super busy. i will have a little time after Wednesday to help out.

38 minutes ago, Hexxxer said:

Just a heads up, I have not forgotten about this but I am still super busy. i will have a little time after Wednesday to help out.

No problem my friend, take your time! Really appreciate your dedication on this!

It would be great if you could tackle the below:

- Nintendo DS videos centered and on correct ratio

- Cart or Disc pic on the lower right side of the game preview (above title name)

- Main menu "normal" like version 3.0 with scanlines (no fade in to Platform info)

Wish you a good week!

Many thanks!!!

hi, 

great theme!

a Question.. There is the possibility to have background images in game menu without opacity ?

20 minutes ago, dnm said:

hi, 

great theme!

a Question.. There is the possibility to have background images in game menu without opacity ?

@dnmNot quick sure what you mean, could you send me a screenshot to help explain?