LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Controls FS (Full Screen - Beta) 1.2FSb

(1 review)

4 Screenshots

About This File

A variant of the  "Game Controls" theme that shows either a Game Specific controller mapping or in absence of a game map it will show a Platform Specific controller mapping in Full Screen (FS).

A sample of images are supplied courtesy of @OhBoy. It is designed for those that will create their own mapping images or those that have them already and want a way to show them without having to override the current LaunchBox image files. The Images shown for display are only samples of how the theme will look.

NOTE: All images must be placed in a specific folder structure and follow a standard LaunchBox naming convention to work with this theme. SEE BELOW.

How to set-up:

All images must be placed in the following folder and structure. (I have included the folder structure and ReadMe in the zip just copy it into \Launchbox folder.)

(Pics below to show how this should look) 
1) Place a folder called "Game Controls" in the \Launchbox\Images folder (It would be \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls\)

2) All platform specific control images must be named as the platform in your set-up is named and placed in the \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls folder
  (Example Sony PlayStation platform: \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls\Sony PlayStation.jpg) Note: The name must match how you have the platform named in Launchbox.

3) All game specific control images must be named exactly as the game is named in your set-up or as the LB Database ID (the LB Database ID is best used for games with symbols in the name as currently the coding has trouble pulling game files since LB will display ":" in the title but Windows will convert it to "_").
   The image must then be placed inside a folder that is named exactly as the platfrom is named and the folder must be placed in the Game Controls location.
   Game Specific Controls folder example: (Example Sony PlayStation platform: \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls\Sony PlayStation\ ).
   The control image for the game specific is placed in the above folder folder:(Example Alien Trilogy for Sony Playstation: \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls\Sony PlayStation\Alien Trilogy.jpg)

IMPORTANT:
The theme is searching for a .jpg if your images are .png you must either change your image file extenstions or I have left a ReadMe in the theme's folder on how to edit the theme. It is simple and only takes a few steps.

I have included @OhBoy controller images with his approval. You can download what he has created here. He has a Startup and Pause theme as well.

What's New in Version 1.2FSb   See changelog

Released

Updated the code to work with LaunchBox ID names as well as game names. To pull a custom image the code matches the LB name to the file name. Issue with this is game names with symbols in them. Such as ":" (Street Fighter II: The Wrold Warrior). LaunchBox retains that symbol but Windows converts it to "_" so the name of the game in LB no longer actually matches the file name. Jason recently updated LB/BB to use LaunchBox database ID to link media.

So when naming you images it is recommended for games with symbols in the name to use the LB DB ID.

Example: Street Fighter II: The World Warrior just name the image file after the LaunchBox ID: 5548.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This theme inspired me to make my own designs. I made a total of 24 platform screens, and only one game-specific screen for now; here are a few that I whipped up today. I duplicated the Street Fighter file and named each copy for every arcade Street Fighter series game I have, so now all my SF games have the same pause screen, because they're all configured the same.

Arcade.jpg

Nintendo 64.jpg

Nintendo Game Boy Advance.jpg

Nintendo Gamecube.jpg

Sega Dreamcast.jpg

Sega Genesis.jpg

SNK Neo Geo AES.jpg

Sony Playstation.jpg

Sony PSP.jpg

Street Fighter Series.jpg

Is there a way to pull in the default pause screen images if you do not have one for a certain platform/game? 

Edited by ladysman214

4 hours ago, ladysman214 said:

Is there a way to pull in the default pause screen images if you do not have one for a certain platform/game? 

Not sure what you mean by "default pause screen images" as LB/BB does not have default images for Pause screen. All images are dictated by the theme's coding.

The theme is only coded to show controller images. User has to supply them and it will show a game specific one as primary, and if one is not present it will look for a platform specific one as a fallback. Other than that it is not designed to show anything else.

I guess that was what I was asking. Is there a way to modify it so that if game and platform images do not exist it uses the images that the default LB pause screen uses? 

My use case: I have a 6 button arcade cabinet. I want to have specific game controls for console platforms, and maybe a few per game controls. Mame/Arcade controls are so varied a "platform" controller image for Mame might just make it more confusing if it shows buttons that are not applicable to a game (ie. buttons 4, 5, 6). The default pause screen does have some basic controls images for Mame/Arcade games and if not the artwork it pulls in would be much preferable to a black screen. 

13 minutes ago, ladysman214 said:

I guess that was what I was asking. Is there a way to modify it so that if game and platform images do not exist it uses the images that the default LB pause screen uses? 

My use case: I have a 6 button arcade cabinet. I want to have specific game controls for console platforms, and maybe a few per game controls. Mame/Arcade controls are so varied a "platform" controller image for Mame might just make it more confusing if it shows buttons that are not applicable to a game (ie. buttons 4, 5, 6). The default pause screen does have some basic controls images for Mame/Arcade games and if not the artwork it pulls in would be much preferable to a black screen. 

That is what I figured you were asking. In its current state this is not possible. I will do my best to revisit the theme and see what I can do to make what you want. No promises though. I have been very busy and since I am not vastly skilled in coding. So it requires a good bit of time for me to sit, code, and figure things out.

I'm having a heck of time figuring out how to rename the EMUMOVIES control panel files I downloaded for MAME to allow me to have controls in your Pause Screen FS Theme. It looks like the files are named by the common rom name but the theme is looking for launchbox ID. I thought I ccould export or copy and paste the title, rom name and database ID and make a quick batch file but there seem to be no way I can find to copy and paste or exzport launchbox ID along with rom file name or title...any thoughts? thanks you so much in advance. My email is thefritz1@gmail.com if that is easier. 

On 7/27/2022 at 5:17 AM, thefritz11 said:

I'm having a heck of time figuring out how to rename the EMUMOVIES control panel files I downloaded for MAME to allow me to have controls in your Pause Screen FS Theme. It looks like the files are named by the common rom name but the theme is looking for launchbox ID. I thought I ccould export or copy and paste the title, rom name and database ID and make a quick batch file but there seem to be no way I can find to copy and paste or exzport launchbox ID along with rom file name or title...any thoughts? thanks you so much in advance. My email is thefritz1@gmail.com if that is easier. 

I found this and gave up, tempted to try make my own theme but i wonder if ill just encounter the same problem with the filenames, did you ever manage to solve it?

38 minutes ago, JimboJambo86 said:

I found this and gave up, tempted to try make my own theme but i wonder if ill just encounter the same problem with the filenames, did you ever manage to solve it?

I have been meaning to create a better process. I chose to use a custom folder as I did not want to affect the control panel images in the core LB image folder. If you have no issues with using that folder I can quickly edit the theme to use the standard LB Arcade - Controls Information folder and that binding will read rom name and LB name easier.

Just let me know and I can edit and post that version.

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

I have been meaning to create a better process. I chose to use a custom folder as I did not want to affect the control panel images in the core LB image folder. If you have no issues with using that folder I can quickly edit the theme to use the standard LB Arcade - Controls Information folder and that binding will read rom name and LB name easier.

Just let me know and I can edit and post that version.

@Retro808that would be great if it's simple to do. Would it matter if all the control images are PNG and not jpg tho?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, JimboJambo86 said:

@Retro808that would be great if it's simple to do. Would it matter if all the control images are PNG and not jpg tho?

Thanks

For the game controls no. I will use LB core binding and it will pull png or jpg. The platform fallback will be jpg. I will see if I can make it select either. I think C-Beats showed me how. I have a version working now. Just need to clean the code and I can post. Be later tonight.

• Thanks 1

@JimboJambo86 Give this one a try and let me know how it works. The ReadMe in the folder will tell you where to place the files and naming. In short I went back to using LB default folder for control images. So you will want to place all game specific control images in the \Launchbox\Images\[Platform Name]\Arcade - Controls Information folder. All platform default fallback images will still use the custom \Images\Game Controls folder. I have also added code so it will pull either jpg or png images.

Game Controls FS.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

@JimboJambo86 Give this one a try and let me know how it works. The ReadMe in the folder will tell you where to place the files and naming. In short I went back to using LB default folder for control images. So you will want to place all game specific control images in the \Launchbox\Images\[Platform Name]\Arcade - Controls Information folder. All platform default fallback images will still use the custom \Images\Game Controls folder. I have also added code so it will pull either jpg or png images.

Game Controls FS.zip 20.72 kB · 1 download

@Retro808That has worked but it isnt full screen, its small and in the top left corner. Could that be something my end?

14 minutes ago, JimboJambo86 said:

@Retro808That has worked but it isnt full screen, its small and in the top left corner. Could that be something my end?

LOL. No my miss. I was shrinking the game image to confirm the platform image was not showing under it. I forgot to fix that. Try the new one I just uploaded to the post from this morning.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

LOL. No my miss. I was shrinking the game image to confirm the platform image was not showing under it. I forgot to fix that. Try the new one I just uploaded to the post from this morning.

Thats sorted it, all working well, thank you for spending the time on it 😀

8 minutes ago, JimboJambo86 said:

Thats sorted it, all working well, thank you for spending the time on it 😀

No worries. I needed to sit down and update these themes with better coding. Still some things I want to do learn to do before I release a formal update.

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

No worries. I needed to sit down and update these themes with better coding. Still some things I want to do learn to do before I release a formal update.

Nice, will look out for the update