LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Controls FS (Full Screen - Beta)

Retro808

Game Controls FS (Full Screen - Beta)

View File

A variant of the  "Game Controls" theme that shows either a Game Specific controller mapping or in absence of a game map it will show a Platform Specific controller mapping in Full Screen (FS).

A sample of images are supplied courtesy of @OhBoy. It is designed for those that will create their own mapping images or those that have them already and want a way to show them without having to override the current LaunchBox image files. The Images shown for display are only samples of how the theme will look.

NOTE: All images must be placed in a specific folder structure and follow a standard LaunchBox naming convention to work with this theme. SEE BELOW.

How to set-up:

All images must be placed in the following folder and structure. (I have included the folder structure and ReadMe in the zip just copy it into \Launchbox folder.)

(Pics below to show how this should look) 
1) Place a folder called "Game Controls" in the \Launchbox\Images folder (It would be \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls\)

2) All platform specific control images must be named as the platform in your set-up is named and placed in the \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls folder
  (Example Sony PlayStation platform: \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls\Sony PlayStation.jpg) Note: The name must match how you have the platform named in Launchbox.

3) All game specific control images must be named exactly as the game is named in your set-up or as the LB Database ID (the LB Database ID is best used for games with symbols in the name as currently the coding has trouble pulling game files since LB will display ":" in the title but Windows will convert it to "_").
   The image must then be placed inside a folder that is named exactly as the platfrom is named and the folder must be placed in the Game Controls location.
   Game Specific Controls folder example: (Example Sony PlayStation platform: \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls\Sony PlayStation\ ).
   The control image for the game specific is placed in the above folder folder:(Example Alien Trilogy for Sony Playstation: \Launchbox\Images\Game Controls\Sony PlayStation\Alien Trilogy.jpg)

IMPORTANT:
The theme is searching for a .jpg if your images are .png you must either change your image file extenstions or I have left a ReadMe in the theme's folder on how to edit the theme. It is simple and only takes a few steps.

I have included @OhBoy controller images with his approval. You can download what he has created here. He has a Startup and Pause theme as well.

• 4 months later...

I used CPWizard to create the images for the control panel such as P1B1 is "Kick", etc.

That program saves the png files(which I can convert to jpg) as the MAME file name.  Any way to call up the images  with the MAME file name vs the typical Launchbox naming convention?  

Example: tmht22pe vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles_ Turtles in Time

1 hour ago, leech_hunter said:

I used CPWizard to create the images for the control panel such as P1B1 is "Kick", etc.

That program saves the png files(which I can convert to jpg) as the MAME file name.  Any way to call up the images  with the MAME file name vs the typical Launchbox naming convention?  

So, just need a database that has the mame zip and the launchbox database id.

I am working on a way that uses excel and romcenter. It isn't exact (about 90%). If you want, I can post when I am done.

18 hours ago, leech_hunter said:

@leech_hunter I think I wrote something that will do it - it is running on my local machine. Before I upload it and announce it, can you help me test it? Can you send me (via message or here) your Arcade.xml (In the Launchbox/Data/Platforms folder) This will help me test it.

So far it gets almost everything on mine (working on 720 degrees), but I don't have too many mame games.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Banditt said:

@leech_hunter I think I wrote something that will do it - it is running on my local machine. Before I upload it and announce it, can you help me test it? Can you send me (via message or here) your Arcade.xml (In the Launchbox/Data/Platforms folder) This will help me test it.

So far it gets almost everything on mine (working on 720 degrees), but I don't have too many mame games.

Thanks

I just sent you the Arcade.xml file in a message.  Thanks!  Let me know what I should do next.

• 1 month later...

i'm having a problem with this and was looking for some help

what "platform" do we use for this?  

I have an ARCADE platform that uses MAME.

I also have a MORTAL KOMBAT "platform" that uses ARCADE/MAME.

Where should I put the images for Mortal Kombat? is it Images\Game Controls\Arcade\Mortal Kombat.jpg or Images\Game Controls\Mortal Kombat\Mortal Kombat.jpg?

\Images\Game Controls\Arcade\

Try naming it after the LB ID. I had to change to using the LB ID due to LB having issues using custom image folders and reading game names that contained symbols. So the theme may have trouble reading game names at all due to using coding for the LB ID.

Try naming the file 7193.jpg (the LB ID).

so i installed this theme and used a 1920x1080 image of my controller, but it seems the resolution is changing when i pause the game.  

1080p in game

1368x760 (i think) when it is in pause.  

so, one problem is that my tv then shows the resolution change on screen when i pause.  second is that the image is scaled, meaning uneven black boxes.  

any thoughts on how to fix this?

Edited by angryherbalist

1 hour ago, angryherbalist said:

so i installed this theme and used a 1920x1080 image of my controller, but it seems the resolution is changing when i pause the game.  

1080p in game

1368x760 (i think) when it is in pause.  

so, one problem is that my tv then shows the resolution change on screen when i pause.  second is that the image is scaled, meaning uneven black boxes.  

any thoughts on how to fix this?

This I am not sure. Is your native resolution 1920x1080? Are you running any DPI scaling?

I am running native 1920x1080 and when a game's resolution changes even when I Pause (regardless of the Pause theme used) it shows the pause theme and images at my native resolution.

Retro: thanks on the graphics.  it was a setting. 

On the Game Controls, I’m at a loss. 

I have Nintendo working using the LBID.  

Arcade is not working. 

My platform is Arcade and Arcade Classics.  I put the images by LBID in the Arcade folder as in the images i attached here, but nothing shows—including the platform file that came with the theme.  

Any thoughts?

E97F0BC2-4C0A-4B78-A7A1-F3B7F67C25A4.jpeg

0688304F-E76E-4F87-ABFC-58D8A7B12AA5.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2022 at 10:54 PM, CodaBroda said:

Apologies for bumping, but sharing the exact scenario here with wanting LB Arcade Controls larger on pause screen. If/when you have a chance @Retro808, can you please share the tweak that was made?

On 6/21/2020 at 5:32 PM, Banditt said:

Thanks

Any chace of updates here?

For console it is fine but for mame games how can I insert all the images with the correct name? Is there an application that converts control panel image rom names into launchbox code names?

Edited by Sbaby

On 7/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, Sbaby said:

For console it is fine but for mame games how can I insert all the images with the correct name? Is there an application that converts control panel image rom names into launchbox code names?

Below are two adapted versions that "should" work with Mame game names eg Alien3: The Gun being called alien3 - i.e the rom name

Pick either the png or jpg version depending on what your images are and then rename it to Arcade.xaml and put it in the Pause theme folder inside Game Controls FS alongside the Default.xaml 

This assumes that your platform is called Arcade - if it isn't then change the name of the file to whatever the platform is called

Hopefully Retro808 doesn't mind me sharing this, but if they do then just let me know and I will remove it.

I take no credit for anything and I have made no changes major changes.

Cheers

edit - removed as not working 

Edit number two - scroll down a bit to fins the working ones and a little bit more information

Edited by Kiinkyfoxx
Extra info

2 hours ago, Kiinkyfoxx said:

Below are two adapted versions that "should" work with Mame game names eg Alien3: The Gun being called alien3 - i.e the rom name

Pick either the png or jpg version depending on what your images are and then rename it to Arcade.xaml and put it in the Pause theme folder inside Game Controls FS alongside the Default.xaml 

This assumes that your platform is called Arcade - if it isn't then change the name of the file to whatever the platform is called

Hopefully Retro808 doesn't mind me sharing this, but if they do then just let me know and I will remove it.

Cheers

Arcade-jpg.xaml 8.95 kB · 1 download Arcade-png.xaml 8.95 kB · 1 download

Many thanks

I tried with Ghosts'n Goblins with the gng.png image and also with the gng.jpg image but it doesn't work. If I rename gng.png to 6382.png it works but I have too many roms and it would be impossible to do it manually for all of them

11 hours ago, Sbaby said:

Many thanks

I tried with Ghosts'n Goblins with the gng.png image and also with the gng.jpg image but it doesn't work. If I rename gng.png to 6382.png it works but I have too many roms and it would be impossible to do it manually for all of them

How strange - tried it before I left for work this morning and it worked - I did notice an error in it but that was related to something else which wouldn't effect you.

I have removed them as downloads as they aren't working as expected.

I will put new ones up this evening or tomorrow but first can you answer the following questions please

Are your images normally in png or jpg?

What is the exact name of the platform?

Are you keeping the images in the folder designated by Retro808?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Kiinkyfoxx said:

Are your images normally in png or jpg?

PNG (but I also tried the jpg)

What is the exact name of the platform?

Arcade

Are you keeping the images in the folder designated by Retro808?

I've been using it for some time now for generic consoles and it works fine, even with some single Arcade and MS-DOS games (with the code name of launchbox) they work fine.
The folders I use are:

\ Launchbox \ Images \ Game Controls \

\ Launchbox \ Images \ Game Controls \ Arcade \

\ Launchbox \ Images \ Game Controls \ MS-DOS \

While the theme in which I have default.xaml is:

\ Launchbox \ PauseThemes \ Game Controls FS \

I had tried putting your Arcade.xaml in \ Launchbox \ PauseThemes \ Game Controls FS \

and then the gng.png image in \ Launchbox \ Images \ Game Controls \ Arcade \

it does not work

Below are two adapted versions that work with Mame game names eg Alien3: The Gun being called alien3 - i.e the rom name

Also make sure you are actually using this theme in LaunchBox/BigBox otherwise you won't see the changes happen, and that you use the same folder format that the original theme uses.

Should you have other platforms that you would prefer to use the rom name for then just make a copy and rename the xaml to that platform and it should work

Cheers

Arcade-jpg.xaml Arcade-png.xaml

Edited by Kiinkyfoxx
  • Like 1

Just an FYI I have been trying to figure out a way to better make this work. The issue is with using the game name binding and how Windows converts a name versus how it appears in BigBox. So been trying to work on a better solution. I did not want to use the Arcade Controls folder for this project since I use those actual images for another theme. So I went the custom folder route. A folder path binding would be the best method but right now LB does not have any internal binding to custom folders. Additionally the png and jpg thing should be worked out soon. There are some updates coming to LB and a converter in the update I can use to easily pull the image regardless of file type.

@Kiinkyfoxx Thanks for helping out with the two files you made. I wanted to find a much cleaner update to the code before I posted anything.

Quick thanks for the replies guys. I downloaded the only list of mame controls I could find from EMUMOVIES but it is far from complete so I have some custom work ahead of me. I ended up frankensteining a solution where I exported LB ID and LB Title to an excel and then cross referenced with rom name and wrote a batch file to rename--wasn't too bad but still a bunch of random titles with no controls. All in all really happy though definitely getting there. Thanks again

I figured out my problem, I was actually using theme ControlBox so I had to put Arcade.axml in that location.
Now it works but obviously I see the full screen control panel completely pixelated.

I would like to reduce the size and position of the png but I struggle to understand 😥