LaunchBox Community Forums

BannerBox 2.1

(11 reviews)

5 Screenshots

About This File

Logo.png.7a761e9ba2294e488a6d34cade79004e.png

Welcome to Faeran's BannerBox. A horizontal banner based theme, inspired by 80s retro. This theme requires that you be running LaunchBox 11.10 or later due to its reliance on the new wheel.

The following info is now considered legacy:

Spoiler

This base theme has banners for the following systems (Some System packs will be released separately):

Spoiler

Arcade
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Jaguar CD
Atari Lynx
Atari XEGS
Bally Astrocade
Casio PV-1000
ColecoVision
Entex Adventure Vision
Fairchild Channel F
GCE Vectrex
Mattel Intellivision
NEC PC Engine
NEC TurboGrafx-16
*Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 64
Nintendo 64DD
*Nintendo DS
Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo GameCube
Nintendo Pokemon Mini
Nintendo Virtual Boy
*Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Sega 32X
Sega CD
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Sega Mark III
Sega Master System
Sega Saturn
Sega SG-1000
SNK Neo Geo AES
SNK Neo Geo CD
SNK Neo Geo Pocket
SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
Sony Playstation
*Sony Playstation 2
*Sony PSP
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
VTech CreatiVision

*Only a small amount of banners were created for these systems

Download extra banner packs and install them into:

LAUNCHBOX\Themes\BannerBox\Images\Games\Custom Images 1

Explaination of some files:

• BannerBox.zip - The same theme that can be downloaded from within Big Box's theme manager
  • BannerBox - Base Theme - No Game Banners.zip - Same theme as above, but without any game banners. Use this if you want to create your own banners
  • BannerBox - Template - Create Your Own Banners.zip - Use this file to load into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator to create your own banner images

Learn how to create your own BannerBox Banner Images: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtK2S7Owo8Y

Download banners created by the community in this thread:

BannerBox Community Banner Thread - Platform Media - LaunchBox Community Forums (launchbox-app.com)

Looking to create your own theme? Learn how by:
Following me on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/retrofaeran
Subscribing to me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2C5q0Muy-ehYpZUIIdJ94Q

CREDITS
----------------------------
Theme was created by @faeran
Theme was created using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru
Theme uses some amazing artwork by Rachid Loft. Find his work at: https://rachidlotf.com/

Edited by faeran

What's New in Version 2.1   See changelog

Released

• More controllers added
  • Misc fixes with the theme
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 10

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, rexryan said:

That unfortunately didnt solve my issue.. I have 3 views in games 2 are just the created game banner and the 3rd is the screen that displays other images similar to the play menu.

Just to make sure we are on the same page.

Here is the list of game views that are in the theme right now:

• Horizontal Wheel 1 - The normal banner games view
  • Horizontal Wheel 2 - The normal banner games view with quicker animations
  • Horizontal Wheel 3 - Simple banner view where the banners never fade away
  • Text Games View - Text view with the text menu on the right

Here's the list of Platform Views:

• Platform Wheel 1 - Normal banners view
  • Platform Wheel 2 - Normal banners view that plays music from your videos
  • Platform Wheel 3 - Banners view that fades out and shows platform details
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @faeran, great theme. And you seem to be on here replying to comments, which also is great. 

I am having issues with my game views (see pic below). It doesn't display the controllers, or the background video. The media is definitely there as the video plays in the background of the options and I can see all the media in the "media" folder.  I know i'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am on the latest version of LaunchbBox (10.13) and have tried the following:

- Uninstalled / Reinstalled BannerBox from both the forum download and the theme manager within BigBox.
- Installed / Tried both the full BannerBox (with banners) and the base build with no banners.
- Restarted my PC / Made sure Windows display scaling was 100%.
- Played with every setting I could think of in BigBox (though it doesn't appear this affects anything).
- Cycled through all the views. Noting that the other views also have problems, but i'll only be using the main one (quick animation version).291033335_Nocontrollers.thumb.png.cdd45bb2c42746cd4bc27d737dcd7e77.png

Edited by matris

15 minutes ago, matris said:

Hi @faeran, great theme. And you seem to be on here replying to comments, which also is great. 

I am having issues with my game views (see pic below). It doesn't display the controllers, or the background video. The media is definitely there as the video plays in the background of the options and I can see all the media in the "media" folder.  I know i'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am on the latest version of LaunchbBox (10.13) and have tried the following:

- Uninstalled / Reinstalled BannerBox from both the forum download and the theme manager within BigBox.
- Installed / Tried both the full BannerBox (with banners) and the base build with no banners.
- Played with every setting I could think of in BigBox (though it doesn't appear this affects anything).
- Cycled through all the views. Noting that the other views also have problems, but i'll only be using the main one (quick animation version).291033335_Nocontrollers.thumb.png.cdd45bb2c42746cd4bc27d737dcd7e77.png

are you on version 1.1.2 of bannerbox? Windows 10? windows set to English? Launchbox set to English ? (they don't have to be, its just good information)

2 hours ago, y2guru said:

are you on version 1.1.2 of bannerbox? Windows 10? windows set to English? Launchbox set to English ? (they don't have to be, its just good information)

Cheers. Yes I am on the latest version of BannerBox (1.1.2). Note: the controller images etc. have never shown in any version. However, the favourites icon and 2 other small circle icons about the middle, do display.
Yes I am on Windows 10 and is set to english. And yeah, Launchbox is set to english.

Edited by matris

3 hours ago, matris said:

Yeah, very odd issue. In total, I'm seeing, the playmode, genre, and ratings icons, controller, community star rating and the background video. @y2guru do they all use a specific plugin to function?

@matris Can you show screenshots of the game details page, and the platform view that's similar to this one?

46 minutes ago, faeran said:

Yeah, very odd issue. In total, I'm seeing, the playmode, genre, and ratings icons, controller, community star rating and the background video. @y2guru do they all use a specific plugin to function?

@matris Can you show screenshots of the game details page, and the platform view that's similar to this one?

The video uses COMMUNITY_Controls_03.dll and everything else uses COMMUNITYtcfbb_011.dll both located in COMMUNITY 1.0.7.3\Publish Objects\Plugins

@matriscan you share the launchbox path, do you get any videos, images at all ?

Edited by y2guru

1 hour ago, y2guru said:

The video uses COMMUNITY_Controls_03.dll and everything else uses COMMUNITYtcfbb_011.dll both located in COMMUNITY 1.0.7.3\Publish Objects\Plugins

@matriscan you share the launchbox path, do you get any videos, images at all ?

Thanks guys. @faeran Attached is the 2 views you asked for. If this helps solve the mystery, in the alternative game view (similar to game details page), there are some white icons  (play mode, genre) that appear for about 1 second, then disappear once the text (game blurb) appears. 

@y2guru launchbox path is (on my NAS: \\QNAP\Games\LaunchBox\Themes\BannerBox
And yeah I get other images/videos. The game videos load fine (top right of screen snips are videos). And the discs etc. as per screen snip. 
1089133009_gamedetails.thumb.png.7ea66a86536417cbb87fe56bc0496435.png2055136500_platformview.thumb.png.bfddaacaa8ae720270b8cdda60e1d8cf.png

Edited by matris

ahhhh interesting... never tested with a NAS.  I suspect the path cannot be resolved internally.  I will create a test theme that will display paths and send to you.

15 minutes ago, matris said:

Thanks guys. @faeran Attached is the 2 views you asked for. If this helps solve the mystery, in the alternative game view (similar to game details page), there are some white icons  (play mode, genre) that appear for about 1 second, then disappear once the text (game blurb) appears. 

@y2guru launchbox path is (on my NAS: \\QNAP\Games\LaunchBox\Themes\BannerBox
And yeah I get other images/videos. The game videos load fine (top right of screen snips are videos). And the discs etc. as per screen snip. 
1089133009_gamedetails.thumb.png.7ea66a86536417cbb87fe56bc0496435.png2055136500_platformview.thumb.png.bfddaacaa8ae720270b8cdda60e1d8cf.png

Unblock this TestTheme, Unzip and place in the Launchbox\Theme folder,  run it and switch to Text Games View, take a screenshot of the path names and send back.

thank you

MatrisTest.zip

Edited by y2guru

1 hour ago, y2guru said:

Unblock this TestTheme, Unzip and place in the Launchbox\Theme folder,  run it and switch to Text Games View, take a screenshot of the path names and send back.

thank you

MatrisTest.zip 7.85 MB · 2 downloads

Hey man, I did as instructed. See screenshot below. All the views looked the same though. Must have cycled about 15 times haha. Never showed anything under LB path. By the way, did you want me to PM this stuff to you? I'm not sure what the etiquette is on the forums. But at least this will help someone else if they're experiencing the same. Let me know if you do. Cheersmatristest.thumb.png.e2754361bccf3294eb950fcd9c5e6c4c.png

I'm trying to create a couple of missing banners, the bottom of the background keeps getting cut off. you can see in the two images that the background is correct (unchanged from the downloaded template) but when rendered it cuts off the bottom which obviously doesn't display right. this happens with all platforms i've tried. any ideas?

669063120_Annotation2020-04-19224102.thumb.png.cd01f53c75bb59cae313bf9a7f7aa789.png350002292_Annotation2020-04-192241022.thumb.png.f75497eaa22a838a940d88ce1f53b5f5.png

Edited by chriskrojs

28 minutes ago, chriskrojs said:

I'm trying to create a couple of missing banners, the bottom of the background keeps getting cut off. you can see in the two images that the background is correct (unchanged from the downloaded template) but when rendered it cuts off the bottom which obviously doesn't display right. this happens with all platforms i've tried. any ideas?

669063120_Annotation2020-04-19224102.thumb.png.cd01f53c75bb59cae313bf9a7f7aa789.png350002292_Annotation2020-04-192241022.thumb.png.f75497eaa22a838a940d88ce1f53b5f5.png

I'm pretty sure that you will need to render these images on a monitor that is at least 1920x1080, as the height of the image is 1080 pixels. @y2guru correct me if I'm wrong.

48 minutes ago, faeran said:

I'm pretty sure that you will need to render these images on a monitor that is at least 1920x1080, as the height of the image is 1080 pixels. @y2guru correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok Thk you. I’ll plug my laptop into the tv tomorrow and give it a go. It won’t give me the option to change to those dimensions on the laptop screen but I remember seeing that it does 1080p when plugged into larger screen. 

edit: as a test in the mean time without access to a bigger resolution, I changed the res down to 800x600 and it indeed made the problem worse so I believe you’re going to be correct :)image.thumb.jpg.431692d9d6c7e3c00a45fa2a9c386147.jpg

Edited by chriskrojs

51 minutes ago, chriskrojs said:

Ok Thk you. I’ll plug my laptop into the tv tomorrow and give it a go. It won’t give me the option to change to those dimensions on the laptop screen but I remember seeing that it does 1080p when plugged into larger screen. 

edit: as a test in the mean time without access to a bigger resolution, I changed the res down to 800x600 and it indeed made the problem worse so I believe you’re going to be correct :)image.thumb.jpg.431692d9d6c7e3c00a45fa2a9c386147.jpg

yes, use the theme creator on a higher resolution will allow you to create images at the same size as the ones @faerancreated.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matris said:

Hey man, I did as instructed. See screenshot below. All the views looked the same though. Must have cycled about 15 times haha. Never showed anything under LB path. By the way, did you want me to PM this stuff to you? I'm not sure what the etiquette is on the forums. But at least this will help someone else if they're experiencing the same. Let me know if you do. Cheersmatristest.thumb.png.e2754361bccf3294eb950fcd9c5e6c4c.png

you did fine, I intended the test theme to be public as you said in case others have a similar setup as you. because the LB Path is blank it confirms that my plugins are failing.

so. you have Launchbox installed on your NAS ?

15 hours ago, y2guru said:

thank you

same thing as before (unblock, unzip etc..), but this time with an updated TestTheme, once selected in BigBox exit BigBox and reopen BigBox with this new version of theme and select any platform, then take a screenshot of the gameview. thanks again.

MatrisTest.zip

Edited by y2guru

6 hours ago, y2guru said:

yes, use the theme creator on a higher resolution will allow you to create images at the same size as the ones @faerancreated.

I also had this experience. It was due to having Windows display scalling not set to 100%. 

4 hours ago, y2guru said:

same thing as before (unblock, unzip etc..), but this time with an updated TestTheme, once selected in BigBox exit BigBox and reopen BigBox with this new version of theme and select any platform, then take a screenshot of the gameview. thanks again.

MatrisTest.zip 8.81 MB · 0 downloads

Same as before. Blank - Is this why it can't find the images? ? Thanks manmatristest2.thumb.png.330f143456497f50d41d9d0c31e38338.png

8 minutes ago, matris said:

Same as before. Blank - Is this why it can't find the images? ? Thanks manmatristest2.thumb.png.330f143456497f50d41d9d0c31e38338.png

very odd. so launchbox\bigbox is on your NAS and your NAS launches BigBox or you launch BigBox on a separate PC ?

I dont have a NAS, so I am unfamiliar with this setup

3 hours ago, y2guru said:

very odd. so launchbox\bigbox is on your NAS and your NAS launches BigBox or you launch BigBox on a separate PC ?

I dont have a NAS, so I am unfamiliar with this setup

Ah - I thought NAS setups were common, maybe not? I've got a RAID 5 set up on one NAS and another NAS offsite which it also backs up to. I've put so much work into Launchbox, I'd hate to lose it all due to HDD failure (plus, I like automatic backups).

Ahem, anyway. Yes my entire launchbox/bigbox install (and games) is on the NAS. I just launch either exe from any PC on my network and it plays no problem. Even wirelessly it's ok.  

Good to know at least this was the problem, and not something I'd missed. Thank you so much for your help @y2guru If you're able to resolve it, cool. But if not, no problem at all. I do appreciate your (and @faeran's) time. The mystery has been solved!

19 minutes ago, matris said:

Ah - I thought NAS setups were common, maybe not? I've got a RAID 5 set up on one NAS and another NAS offsite which it also backs up to. I've put so much work into Launchbox, I'd hate to lose it all due to HDD failure (plus, I like automatic backups).

Ahem, anyway. Yes my entire launchbox/bigbox install (and games) is on the NAS. I just launch either exe from any PC on my network and it plays no problem. Even wirelessly it's ok.  

Good to know at least this was the problem, and not something I'd missed. Thank you so much for your help @y2guru If you're able to resolve it, cool. But if not, no problem at all. I do appreciate your (and @faeran's) time. The mystery has been solved!

well I am familiar with a NAS as far as using it as a media streamer, but not for launchbox/bigbox use.    so is your exe on each pc or do you launch the exe from the NAS ?

I havent given up, I'm just having trouble replicating your setup

1 minute ago, y2guru said:

well I am familiar with a NAS as far as using it as a media streamer, but not for launchbox/bigbox use.    so is your exe on each pc or do you launch the exe from the NAS ?

I havent given up, I'm just having trouble replicating your setup

I launch the exe from the NAS. 

8 hours ago, matris said:

I launch the exe from the NAS. 

I created a network share and launched the exe from the network and all themes developed using the creator new and old worked as if they were locally installed (slow boot up though) so it must be the way in which the NAS shares its content, what is the make and model of your NAS?

ill see if I can get one on loan and if I can then I’ll hit you up for the configuration