LaunchBox Community Forums

Vidsnap Scraper 0.4.8

(9 reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk! Please read and understand Youtube's terms of service. I will not be held liable for any mis-use of any product or service.

This plugin makes use of the open source and unlicensed application, youtube-dl yt-dlp (forked from youtube-dl) to download game videos.

It first downloads videos from the link provided in the metadata from LaunchBox, skipping videos longer than a specified duration, and then searching for videos for missing games based on input search terms.

It is intended for Modern Windows games as this was my need initially. It may work on other platforms but is not well tested.

Installation Instructions:

Note:  For this plugin to work, you will need to have yt-dlp.exe (included in .zip). Extract the contents of the .zip folder and place it in your LaunchBox plugins folder.

Usage Instructions:

Select a game or multiple games, right-click and select "Download Video Snap."

Adjust the maximum duration if desired.

The "Get Missing videos" checkbox sets whether or not to search for videos of games that don't have URL's in their metadata.

The "Trim videos" checkbox sets whether or not to trim videos after it has been downloaded.

Enter desired search terms for Missing videos.

click "Start" to start the download process.

Games will download asynchronously. resuming downloads is also supported natively.

Known Issues:

probably many that I am unaware of.

Other:

PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT A DEVELOPER! I know very little about C# and programming in general, thus probably wont be able to address many issues that you may face. That being said I will try and fix things were I can. I've provided the spagetti source code for anyone to modify, improve, etc. (it seems you need to unblock the forms in the "Resources" folder -> RMB->properties->unblock) 

As of now, i'm more comfortable with the usability of the plugin, however there are still probably many issues, any comments to provide insight/improvement to the code etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks to @srxz for his source of Youtube Scraper of which this is based.

@srxz @JoeViking245 @C-Beats

maikeru86

Edited by maikeru1986

What's New in Version 0.4.8   See changelog

Released

Updated yt-dlp as the [previous version was no longer working.

No other changes, hence source remains the same

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

23 hours ago, jacobsson said:

@maikeru1986
Thanks for the great plugin, can't live with out it :)
I made an update from your source with some QoL changes, I hope you don't mind! (forgot to include yt-dlp in my former post)

• Changed so that yt-dlp now handles searching for video sections (no need to download full video anymore)
  • Due to the change above, you can get footage of any hour-long "long play"/"let's play" videos in just a fraction of the time.
  • Removed "EndTime" and introduced "Duration" in its place
  • Some naming scheme changes and refactoring

Vidsnap_Scraper_0.4.8.zip 13.12 MB · 1 download Vidsnap-Scraper-0.4.8-source.zip 3.66 MB · 0 downloads

thats great! I dont mind at all, make changes as you please. im glad someone is taking an interest in the code/functionality part of it.

11 minutes ago, maikeru1986 said:

dont have time to test all problems, so sometimes i just mention what i would try. i did say in the post it might not work.

I don't understand. My comment was not for you, but for the other user who had uploaded a new version on his own.

23 hours ago, jacobsson said:

@maikeru1986
Gracias por el excelente complemento, no puedo vivir sin él :)
. Hice una actualización desde su fuente con algunos cambios en la calidad de vida, ¡espero que no le importe! (Olvidé incluir yt-dlp en mi publicación anterior)

• Se modificó para que yt-dlp ahora maneje la búsqueda de secciones de video (ya no es necesario descargar el video completo)
  • Debido al cambio anterior, puede obtener imágenes de cualquier video de "larga duración"/"vamos a jugar" de una hora en solo una fracción del tiempo.
  • Se eliminó "EndTime" y se introdujo "Duration" en su lugar.
  • Algunos cambios en el esquema de nombres y refactorización

Vidsnap_Scraper_0.4.8.zip 13,12 MB · 1 descarga Vidsnap-Scraper-0.4.8-fuente.zip 3,66 MB · 0 descargas

I have found a bug. The name of the resulting video is not exact. It seems that there is something wrong with the file extension. That is, it creates the video correctly, but it does not result in a video file because the extension mistypes it.

@Merovingio

Make sure you have ffmpeg.exe in the plugin folder (it should ask you to download it).
If that doesn't help I think you should just resort back to using the regular version of the plugin. 

Edited by jacobsson

9 hours ago, Merovingio said:

I don't understand. My comment was not for you, but for the other user who had uploaded a new version on his own.

Hey man, I misunderstood, im truely sorry.

You could make a change to this program to generate an MP3snap scraper,
 being able to download the main themes of the games, and helping everyone to have the music playing in the launchbox menu.
 Can anyone do this for us?
Edited by orcfael

Thanks a lot for this. Works well for most things, but not all.

I don't know, how exactly the search string looks like, i would think it is platform name and game name. The platform names of LB are exact but sometimes not on Youtube. I checked e.g. "Commodore Amiga" and can not find most of the videos, although they exist. I just guess, it is because on youtube the name is always only "Amiga" without "Commodore".

Wish i could edit the whole search phrase before sending it, or replace the platform name.

@Steel

The search string is the game name only + additional search terms, then there are flags for no-playlist, match-filter for duration, and quality. and thats about it. Everything after the -o flag is just where the video is saved. (game.VideoUrl at the end is nothing in this case, i think.

youtube_srch.StartInfo.Arguments = $@" ""ytsearch:{CleanInput(game.Title)} {searchTerms}"" --no-playlist --match-filter ""duration <= {maxDuration}"" -f mp4{quality} -o ""\Videos\{CleanInput(game.Platform)}\{CleanInput(game.Title)}.%(ext)s"" {game.VideoUrl}";

Take note that if there is a video already in Launchbox, then it uses that link and doesn't do any searching.

I didn't add platform-specific stuff because it was mainly just for Windows.

You could try adding Amiga only to the search terms and see if that works. but I presume you've tried that.

Video quality of the downloaded file is 360p by default, the "Best" quality option is checked. The grabbed videos got 1080p on youtube, how can I increase quality?

19 minutes ago, totoro said:

Video quality of the downloaded file is 360p by default, the "Best" quality option is checked. The grabbed videos got 1080p on youtube, how can I increase quality?

not much you can do besides modify the source, however I think it should be hd by default. maybe youtube/ youtubedlp changed something