LaunchBox Community Forums

Bulk Convert cue/gdi/iso files to CHD 1.0.0

(2 reviews)

4 Screenshots

About This File

Bulk Convert cue, gdi or iso ROMs to chd

This plugin expands the capabilities of the existing Bulk Convert .cue to .chd plugin by adding the options to also convert gdi and iso formats to CHD.  (For cue/bin files, the process is the exact same between the 2 plugins.)

Using MAME’s chdman.exe (“Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) Manager”, included with MAME), this plugin will convert CD based game files to a single .chd file in your selected Platform.

Why convert?
•    You end up with just a single file per game
•    A CHD file is, well… compressed. Resulting in less storage space requirements
•    Most, if not all emulators now support .chd format
•    chdman applies lossless compression so there should no noticeable difference in load time.

Requirements

• This plugin file
  • chdman.exe (included with MAME)
  • ROM sets that are in a .cue, .gdi or .iso format

What happens after converting?
After successfully creating a CHD Image, the games application path in LaunchBox will be redirected to the new .chd file.

Also, after the files have been converted you have the option to
•    Leave the old files in place (default)
•    Move the old files to a separate [backup] folder
•    Delete the old files

Installing the plugin
1.    Download the plugin
2.    Unblock “BulkConvert2CHD (v1.00).zip” by right clicking the file and checking “Unblock” and clicking “OK”.

image.png.9cb53ba0de6008c8ad17fa7776282d89.png
3.    Open the zip file and copy the contents (1 folder containing 1 file) into /LaunchBox/Plugins/
               ../LaunchBox/Plugins/BulkConvert2CHD/BulkConvert2CHD.dll

Using the plugin
1.    Start LaunchBox
2.    Select Tools, Bulk Convert To CHD
3.    Select a Platform
4.    Select the file format you’re converting from
5.    Click Convert
6.    (Optional)
               Check Delete old files when complete 
                      This will permanently delete the old files after successfully converting them to .chd.
               Check Move old files when complete
                      This will move the old files after successfully converting them to .chd to the folder you specify.

Troubleshooting:

If you are getting errors while attempting to convert the files, make sure you are using chdman.exe that comes with the latest release of MAME.

If you use multiple versions of MAME in LaunchBox, copy chdman,exe from your latest MAME release folder into the ../LaunchBox/Plugins/BulkConvert2CHD/ folder

Special thanks to @faeran for the idea of the original Bulk Convert cue to chd.  Without that, I probably never would have made this.

As always, all comments and suggestions are welcome.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

DubaiShark

· Edited by DubaiShark

Good tools save time and life :) however there is one issue if the games come with names like trac01, track02, and further and they are all in one folder after its converted the old files will be removed or moved to the new folder and not the whole folder of the converted game so the old files will stay remains with the new CHD files

Hope you got what I said and hope you find a solution to this

Edit: The option is there I didn't see it when I ticked to move the files it will appear after you choose it 

Sorry for that

A great tool I recommend it to everyone and I hope it will be integrated into the lunchbox someday

Thanks

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

• Thanks 1
Link to review
izzy2fancy

Just like the other tool, it's easy to use and works great. Just know when doing a bunch of conversions from iso to chd, it will take a long time. Don't freak out and think it's frozen. Thanks again!

• Like 1
Link to review