LaunchBox Community Forums

Bulk Convert cue/gdi/iso files to CHD

Bulk Convert cue/gdi/iso files to CHD

View File

Bulk Convert cue, gdi or iso ROMs to chd

This plugin expands the capabilities of the existing Bulk Convert .cue to .chd plugin by adding the options to also convert gdi and iso formats to CHD.  (For cue/bin files, the process is the exact same between the 2 plugins.)

Using MAME’s chdman.exe (“Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) Manager”, included with MAME), this plugin will convert CD based game files to a single .chd file in your selected Platform.

Why convert?
•    You end up with just a single file per game
•    A CHD file is, well… compressed. Resulting in less storage space requirements
•    Most, if not all emulators now support .chd format
•    chdman applies lossless compression so there should no noticeable difference in load time.

Requirements

• This plugin file
  • chdman.exe (included with MAME)
  • ROM sets that are in a .cue, .gdi or .iso format

What happens after converting?
After successfully creating a CHD Image, the games application path in LaunchBox will be redirected to the new .chd file.

Also, after the files have been converted you have the option to
•    Leave the old files in place (default)
•    Move the old files to a separate [backup] folder
•    Delete the old files

Installing the plugin
1.    Download the plugin
2.    Unblock “BulkConvert2CHD (v1.00).zip” by right clicking the file and checking “Unblock” and clicking “OK”.

image.png.9cb53ba0de6008c8ad17fa7776282d89.png
3.    Open the zip file and copy the contents (1 folder containing 1 file) into /LaunchBox/Plugins/
               ../LaunchBox/Plugins/BulkConvert2CHD/BulkConvert2CHD.dll

Using the plugin
1.    Start LaunchBox
2.    Select Tools, Bulk Convert To CHD
3.    Select a Platform
4.    Select the file format you’re converting from
5.    Click Convert
6.    (Optional)
               Check Delete old files when complete 
                      This will permanently delete the old files after successfully converting them to .chd.
               Check Move old files when complete
                      This will move the old files after successfully converting them to .chd to the folder you specify.

Troubleshooting:

If you are getting errors while attempting to convert the files, make sure you are using chdman.exe that comes with the latest release of MAME.

If you use multiple versions of MAME in LaunchBox, copy chdman,exe from your latest MAME release folder into the ../LaunchBox/Plugins/BulkConvert2CHD/ folder

Special thanks to @faeran for the idea of the original Bulk Convert cue to chd.  Without that, I probably never would have made this.

As always, all comments and suggestions are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, maxforwardspeed said:

Looks like another great plugin! My roms are not yet imported into LB and were all in zipped format. I just extracted them but they are now in separate folders named after each game, and the roms are GDI. How should I import these into LB so I can use the plugin?

Thank you!

So yours is not really a question about the plugin. I've never imported gdi files nor ROMs that are in individual subfolders.  But I know there's an option when you import ROMs where you can select a folder or files.  In your case a folder (containing the subfolders).

• 9 months later...
11 minutes ago, midd said:

When i use this to convert Dreamcast games, none of them convert? If I do one at a time using chdman and a bat file it converts individual games

Are you getting any kind of error (or otherwise) messages?  Such as "Converting", "Please Wait", ""Converting Complete", "Error Converting"....  Any details you can provide will greatly help to determine what is or is-not going on.

Does your batch file use the same "createcd" command line parameter for chdman?  

It's possible you have different versions of chdman.exe on your system.  Copy the one your batch file uses (the one that works for you) into your ../LaunchBox/Plugins/BulkConvert2CHD/ folder and run the plugin again.

Please let me know what you find.  Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. This is what I get when I try.  I suppose it has something to do with the gdi file? My Dreamcast roms are a gdi file along with bin. I assumed the plug-in would comvert based on the bin files.

image.jpg

image.jpg

50 minutes ago, midd said:

Thanks for the reply. This is what I get when I try.  I suppose it has something to do with the gdi file? My Dreamcast roms are a gdi file along with bin. I assumed the plug-in would comvert based on the bin files.

Screenshots are worth a thousand words! :D The plugin you're using is the [older] Bulk Convert .cue/.bin files which will only look for .cue files.  

• At the top of this page, click the blue View File.  This will open a new page.
  • The top of the new page will show Bulk Convert cue/gdi/iso files to CHD.  On the right, click the red Download this file.
  • Follow Installing the plugin as outlined on the 'new page'.
  • Before starting LaunchBox, Open Window Explorer and delete the old plugin folder.   ..\LaunchBox\Plugins\cue2chd\
    • Not to be confused with the new one   ..\LaunchBox\Plugins\BulkConvert2CHD\

Ok well that was short lived. Deleted the old plugin. Installed the new. Selected gdi to chd, delete the old files and use the same file name.  None of them were converted.

take notice of ms. Pac-Man . Look below the convert box and you’ll see the file that the plug in claimed to not have found.

image.thumb.jpg.d82e1c0459c63fc9843fc6e3632bd18d.jpg

Edited by midd

10 minutes ago, midd said:

take notice of me. Pac-Man . Look below the concert box and you’ll see the file that the plug in claimed to not use found.

The plugin gets the games ROM location from its Application Path.

Can you edit the game "Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness", go to the Launching section and confirm that ROM File is pointing to either the Full\Path\To\ or Relative\Path\To\ the .gdi file?

40 minutes ago, midd said:

They are in the right location and path file

Really not sure what to say then.   Is the full path to, and including the ROM name by chance super long? i.e.

D:\This\is\a\super\long\path\to\way\deep\into\the\harddrive\where\no\man\has\gone\before\Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness (USA).gdi

Is the ROM located on a server of sorts making the path different than normal?  Had one use during beta testing say theirs was on a server, but it had worked as expected.  I know nothing about servers so don't know hot that all works. But supposedly it did.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss.   

ok I just realized I'm in the same boat as Maxforwarpspeed was earlier in this thread.  My  DreamCast games are in their own folders.

that was it. I pulled two games and all their files from their folders and moved them to the Sega dream cast folder. Those two are being converted.

image.jpg

I'm just going to download a CHD set. Might be easier that way and def. faster.  I'll compare the sets and convert any missing from the new set to CHD from my original set.

Edited by midd
  • Game On 1

36 minutes ago, midd said:

My  DreamCast games are in their own folders.

Thanks for following through. I was getting ready to have the plugin create a massive debug log to (hopefully) help pinpoint the issue.

If you haven't changed them all already, can you please share a screenshot of the Launching section (edit game) for one of your games that are still in their own folder?

So now it’s making more sense. I had it set to Sega Dreamcast but not the individual game folders. That’s why the plug-in couldn’t find the games unless I drug to the main folder. As you can see I don’t play dc much. I added gun games and decided to dig into Dreamcast a little moreIMG_8394.thumb.jpeg.2ffc773d0643f2e019e97cd283e63c7b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, midd said:

So now it’s making more sense.

Yes it does. :) 

I don't emulate DC much either.  In fact, I think I only have 1 game for testing purposes. lol 

Curious... with the ROM File (screenshot) not actually pointing to the physical file, is LB able to launch the game through emulator?

💡 Is it safe to assume that your emulator settings in LaunchBox has the checkbox: Use Filename Only without extension, checked?  If so, then the emulator knows to look for the folder named after the ROM name (minus extension).

Thanks again for digging into this!

• 1 month later...

I apologize, but this is not a support question or issue.  I just wanted to say thank you to all the independent developers who make useful tools like this for their respective communities.  We get to benefit from this kind of stuff, but I don't know if we say thank you enough.  Have a wonderful day.

• Game On 1