LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT: Nevermind, it was an issue with my Avast.
Spoiler
So, there is something I wanted to ask about the Beta version. Everytime I load the program, it opens fine, I see the splash page, and then a few seconds later, the program closes. However, after another second or so, it loads right back up, I see the splash page, and everything is back to normal. It's been doing this since the beginning and I kinda just brushed it off, thinking it was on purpose. However, I've now decided to bring it up, just to be sure it's nothing.

So, after toying around with things for a while and taking in other people's suggestions and such, my current plan is to change things up to just show a little tiny icon in the corner of the games, only when you hover. Then you can click on the icon to show the game details. I'm finding it just too annoying to have it always showing up everywhere. That should allow for more stuff to be added to the box as well, without being too intrusive. Hopefully I'll have a new beta with this implemented, out soon. I need to put out a new version shortly though to address a few minor bugs, so might not get everything (like game images on the details) into the next official version. Thanks guys.

Thanks Jason. Yes Dexter, Avast and Online Armour ( Firewall ) will tend to block some features we have to add them to the exclusion list. Just a tip for those who are having some annoying issues. Some Av´s are a really pain in the......!!!!!!!!!

Alright guys, been a long time coming, admittedly, but I have a new version for testing. I've fixed a lot of the various issues with the game details popup (many of them involving game controllers). I've also implemented the promised "click the icon to show the game details" feature. Automatically showing the game details on selection or on hover are no longer the defaults, though they are still available to select under the View menu. If you can, please do test all modes, starting with both "Show on Hover" and "Show on Selection" unchecked, then test with the options checked. I did also add a close button to the popup, and fixed the star ratings click issue. I do, of course, have a lot more to do to add more features to the popup, but the goal of this beta version was just to get the concept down, mostly without flaws. Please let me know if you run into any issues, and how you like the default mode. Lastly, I'm not overly happy with the graphics/placement/whatever of the little "i" icon that shows the game details. I experimented with a bunch of things and just haven't yet found anything that I really like. So please do provide feedback on what I have and any suggestions as to the visual representation of the icon that shows the game details. Or, if anyone wants to take a stab at coming up with a graphic, I'd gladly take a look at it and credit you if we end up using it. Thanks again everyone, Jason

Hello Jason thanks for the new release. - You could disable the icon on the " Show on Hover " feature, as it will show the game details anyway and could give an extra option for those who don´t want the icon everywhere. - Can the icon be placed above the image? Without being on the image surface, it would be a great feature for the future, as you can add more icons there for images, sounds, videos or whatever. Ohh... and by the way can the game notes be implemented on the game details? - The info icon could represent the platform you´re using, instead if using the " i " iit would be great if it show´s the console graphics or another platform you´re using. Just my thoughts. Thank you again for the hard work you are having. :D

Jason- Just downloaded the v2.17 BETA. I have only played with it a little, but I will go ahead and give you my initial thoughts. I like the ability to select how the info box appears, I think its nice to have that freedom. I know I'm liking the info only appearing when I hit the button, but that's my preference. The rating stars appear fixed, which helps as well, and I'm glad we now have the close button so we don't have to futz with games hidden by the info. I can see the issue you are having with the "i" info button. I'm going to see if I can think up a solution that works better, but I'm not sure if I can. Would it be possible to scale the size of the button along with the size of the box art? Personally, I keep my box art rather small (8 titles per row on a 17.3" 1920x1080 screen). I currently am fine with the size of the info button, but it was more intrusive when dropping the size of the art to it's smallest. What options did you play around with? What didn't work? NMC- I like the idea of having a graphic for the console/logo appear on the box art and the added functionality. I'm not sure if that would be possible, but I like it for sure.

nmc, good point on disabling the icon. Thinking about the possibility of putting icons above the box art; that's not a bad idea. I'll do some experimentation with that. And I do plan on adding the game notes to the game details (and also importing the description from TheGamesDB into the game notes). I agree that it would be nice to show a platform icon of sorts, but I'm not sure that that should be the game details button, as I think it'd be confusing to click on the platform to show the game details. Still, if the icons above the box art work out, that'd be a good thing to add. Thanks for the great feedback. :)

Dexter, yes, I do plan to somehow scale the icon (whatever it ends up being) with the box art if I can, depending on whatever solution we end up with. I had tried just a number of different images on top of the box art, but I wasn't liking much of anything. Thanks for your input as well. :)

I too see the problem you have with the information icon. Having icons above sounds like a good idea, but I am not sure how it would work with different box sizes. Would it wrap tightly to the actual image, or remain in a uniform position regardless of the image size? How would it affect the spacing between games on the above/below rows? etc. I guess it is something you will need to play around with and see what feels right. Icons on the side might work for games with tall posters (like dvd boxes) but may be problematic for wider images, like the N64 boxes. An icon to the left of the game name might work and it wouldn't need scaling since the text size remains the same despite the size you choose for posters. However, the amount of space for titles is already limited and games with longer names already exceed their allocated space and placing an icon here would make this worse. Maybe a transparent bar at the top of the highlighted area with the info icon and space to add more icons as new features become available. Like this: For the example i have added a couple of icons for "Zoom" (enlarge the box art), "Flip Box" (view the back of the box) and "Remove Game" (quick access to remove a game from the library). Info Example Finally, the new features you have added all work fine for me, I did not encounter any problems.

Thanks bd. On top of all that, we have to worry about the icons being large enough to be easily clicked with a controller (as accuracy is much less with that approach). So it does become quite a bit of a pain. That said, I really like your zoom and flip icon concepts. That'd be really great to add. The transparent bar at the top might work, but of course the challenge is being able to use it easily with the controller. All great input, thanks! :)

Now I'm starting to see something I can be proud of. :) I ran with bd's latest suggestions, and I'm really liking it. I still kind of wish it wasn't obstructing the view of the box art, but I think the added functionality benefits well outweigh that disadvantage. I can provide an option to turn it off anyways, if the user is so inclined. Anyways, this version now has icons for zoom, flip, details, and play music. All should be functional. Please give it a test (with both the mouse and a controller if possible) and let me know if you run into any issues. If not, I'll go and wrap up a few remaining things and we should finally be close to an actual release. :) Do let me know if you have any more suggestions, of course, as well. I do plan to expand significantly on the game details view (with description, screenshots, etc.), but that probably won't be in this next release. Thanks, Jason

I like the " Charms Bar " it´s a very nice concept, but can the " Charms " be placed vertically between the box-art gaps? I think in that position would not hide part of image and probably will give you more options in resizing the icons bar. Everything works well with the controller except for one thing, in my humble opinion, when you open the image you visualize it throught windows viewer and you have to return to your mouse to close the viewer, is there a way to open the image like the game details feature? Thank You Jason :)