LaunchBox Community Forums

MS-DOS Game Installation Wizard - Game Troubleshooting

Jason Carr

If you run into an issue installing a particular game with the MS-DOS Game Installation Wizard, please post the details of the issue here, including what game it is, whether you're installing from an ISO, physical disc, or folder, and exactly what seems to be going wrong. We want to do our best to make sure the wizard works with as many games as possible, so we'll be happy to work with you in getting the issue fixed. :)

Is there a way for the wizard to include support for multi-disk installations? I'm thinking back in the day Space Quest 5 came with 5 floppy disks. I haven't bust them out yet, but looking around I didn't see if the tool would be able to accommodate an install like this - what do you think? Thanks!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
This reply box will not allow me to use backslashes. So all backslashes will be replaced with forward slashes "/". Installing a MS-DOS game with multiple floppies Mortal Kombat 2 In this guide E:/LaunchBox is the location of LaunchBox and E:/Setup is the location of the floppy disk images. 1. Run e:/LaunchBox/DOSBox/dosbox.exe 2. At the command prompt type: mount e e:/ type: e: (here is where you mount all of the floppy disk images. I put them into a batch file and saved it at the root of E) type: run.bat (runs the command below) or type: imgmount a e:/setup/mk2_1/MK2_1.IMA e:/setup/mk2_2/MK2_2.IMA e:/setup/mk2_3/MK2_3.IMA e:/setup/mk2_4/MK2_4.IMA e:/setup/mk2_5/MK2_5.IMA e:/setup/mk2_6/MK2_6.IMA e:/setup/mk2_7/MK2_7.IMA e:/setup/mk2_8/MK2_8.IMA -t floppy (the DOSBox status window will show this) Mounted FAT volume is FAT12 with 2847 clusters Mounted FAT volume is FAT12 with 2847 clusters Mounted FAT volume is FAT12 with 2847 clusters Mounted FAT volume is FAT12 with 2847 clusters Mounted FAT volume is FAT12 with 2847 clusters Mounted FAT volume is FAT12 with 2847 clusters Mounted FAT volume is FAT12 with 2847 clusters Mounted FAT volume is FAT12 with 2847 clusters Drive A: disk 2 of 8 now active Drive A: disk 3 of 8 now active Drive A: disk 4 of 8 now active Drive A: disk 5 of 8 now active Drive A: disk 6 of 8 now active Drive A: disk 7 of 8 now active Drive A: disk 8 of 8 now active Drive A: disk 1 of 8 now active Drive A: disk 2 of 8 now active type: a:/install (Answer E as the drive and answer e:/emulat~1/launch~1/games/mk2 as the install path) When prompted for the next disk press Ctrl + F4, then enter. (repeat as needed) In the DOSBox status window you can see it switching to the next disk. Drive A: disk 2 of 8 now active Diskcaching reset for normal mounted drives. Drive A: disk 3 of 8 now active Diskcaching reset for normal mounted drives. Drive A: disk 4 of 8 now active Diskcaching reset for normal mounted drives. Drive A: disk 5 of 8 now active Diskcaching reset for normal mounted drives. Drive A: disk 6 of 8 now active Diskcaching reset for normal mounted drives. Drive A: disk 7 of 8 now active Diskcaching reset for normal mounted drives. Drive A: disk 8 of 8 now active Diskcaching reset for normal mounted drives. 3. Open LaunchBox. From the menu bar click on Tools/Install Dos Game. 4. Type Mortal Kombat 2 and press Next. 5. Select Yes, my game is already installed into a folder. 6. Browse to E:/LaunchBox/Games/MK2/MK2.exe and press Next then Finish. 7. On the Edit Game screen press the search TheGameDB.net button to download all the meta data and box cover. So now the kicker....the game prompted me to enter a word found in the manual....which i no long own :-)

Thanks Ed for that. :) Yes, I am hoping to add multiple disk support here shortly. I've actually added it already to LaunchBox (DOSBox multiple disks support, in the beta release), but haven't gotten it into the wizard yet. Thanks for the feedback though guys. Do post here if you run into any other problematic games.

• 6 months later...
I'm having an issue using the Installation Wizard and my copy of Interstate 76. When it's ready to perform the installation, I get an error that reads "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Can anyone assist? Thanks

Maddog said I'm having an issue using the Installation Wizard and my copy of Interstate 76. When it's ready to perform the installation, I get an error that reads "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Can anyone assist? Thanks
That is a bug in the software right now. Do you have the latest version of LB? In the meantime, have you tried installing the game with a different method?

Just downloaded it today, so I should have the latest version. I did tinker with adding it manually but could not get it to work when I came to the DosBox prompt. It tells me when i run setup, which is the installer, "illegal command win" and it automatically puts "win" before setup when I press enter.

Maddog said Just downloaded it today, so I should have the latest version. I did tinker with adding it manually but could not get it to work when I came to the DosBox prompt. It tells me when i run setup, which is the installer, "illegal command win" and it automatically puts "win" before setup when I press enter.
What game are you trying to install? And is it a CD you are using, an ISO or the files.

Maddog said Just downloaded it today, so I should have the latest version. I did tinker with adding it manually but could not get it to work when I came to the DosBox prompt. It tells me when i run setup, which is the installer, "illegal command win" and it automatically puts "win" before setup when I press enter.
illegal command win means that you cannot run this in DOS. You must run it in windows. I remember running this game in Win95 or Win98se. Check out what i did here with another game from that era https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/games/the-simpsons-cartoon-studio-1996-no-dos-install

EviLEd said
illegal command win means that you cannot run this in DOS. You must run it in windows. I remember running this game in Win95 or Win98se. Check out what i did here with another game from that era https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/games/the-simpsons-cartoon-studio-1996-no-dos-install
This is what I was trying to discern, I just didn't want to get there without knowing the game.

• 2 months later...
Hahahaha, welcome OldRetard, sir. ;) So, hmm. How did you run through the installer wizard? Did you mount the ISO in Windows first? Or did you directly refer to the ISO file itself in the wizard? The proper way to do it would be to choose "No, I have the installation files or media", then "inside a CD image ISO", then browse for your ISO file, select the destination folder, choose "Yes, automatically mount the CD", and "Yes, copy to the destination folder" and then proceed with the install. Let me know if that's what you already did or if that fixes it for you.

Jason Carr said Hahahaha, welcome OldRetard, sir. ;) So, hmm. How did you run through the installer wizard? Did you mount the ISO in Windows first? Or did you directly refer to the ISO file itself in the wizard? The proper way to do it would be to choose "No, I have the installation files or media", then "inside a CD image ISO", then browse for your ISO file, select the destination folder, choose "Yes, automatically mount the CD", and "Yes, copy to the destination folder" and then proceed with the install. Let me know if that's what you already did or if that fixes it for you.
unfortunately, that's what i already did

Yup, we got them. Apparently there's an issue there though, stupid thing lets people upload but not download...the heck? Anyways, I don't see any inherent issues with the configuration. So, apparently it's a game-specific issue. You can enable DOSBox debugging so you can see all the commands and such in DOSBox, that might help. That way you can check to make sure that the CD is actually mounted. You could also try using a different drive letter for the mount. But if the CD is mounted and the game refuses to identify it, then it could be that the game has some form of copy protection, it's looking in the wrong drive, etc. Unfortunately though, since I don't have that game, I can't really do any troubleshooting myself, so I'm not sure how else to help you out.

Jason Carr said Yup, we got them. Apparently there's an issue there though, stupid thing lets people upload but not download...the heck? Anyways, I don't see any inherent issues with the configuration. So, apparently it's a game-specific issue. You can enable DOSBox debugging so you can see all the commands and such in DOSBox, that might help. That way you can check to make sure that the CD is actually mounted. You could also try using a different drive letter for the mount. But if the CD is mounted and the game refuses to identify it, then it could be that the game has some form of copy protection, it's looking in the wrong drive, etc. Unfortunately though, since I don't have that game, I can't really do any troubleshooting myself, so I'm not sure how else to help you out.
Maybe if he extracted all the contents from the iso and put into a folder and see if it will install through dosbox that way