LaunchBox Community Forums

MS-DOS Game Installation Wizard - Game Troubleshooting

Jason Carr

My first instinct, never use Libraries, they are destructive and problematic. This being one of the potential problems. If those are all from a different location then you need to specify multiple locations. I am just going off what I see though. Go to where your games are actually on your drive, not in a library.

Jason Carr said Hi @Lmagnus87, the MS-DOS importer requires the game folders to be named with the proper name of the game, not the typical MS-DOS shorthand. I realize that this presents an issue for some people's libraries, but unfortunately I don't otherwise have a way to identify the game.
So the proper name for Bubble Bobble is Bboubble? I just tried to change LBA to "Little Big Adventure" if with this title detect the game but Its detected all games O_O . So I changed again to LBA and detected all, HOW? WTF Also if I back to the second page of the wizard and then back to detect process, LB will be freeze Error

• 2 weeks later...
I was trying to install Subwar 2050 from an ISO I had just made and everything went well until the DOS installer. Seems the game requires the install path to be supplied as a command line argument and not something set after the installer runs. Ex. "INSTALL.BAT C:\SUBWAR" I can't figure out how to get that working with the wizard.

Ah, I see. Thanks @ChrisHale. Unfortunately the wizard probably won't work in that scenario. What you can do instead is manually create the game in LaunchBox. Just check the box to use DOSBox, add a mount in the Mounts tab for the ISO, and then add another mount for the installation folder. Then you can manually run the game and it should open DOSBox for you to run the installation manually with both the ISO and the destination folder mounted as separate drives for the install.

Thanks guys. Yeah I watched all the youtube videos yesterday so it didn't take me long to add the game manually after you suggested the work around. It plays great now! \Smile I just need to scan my box and add some metadata to the games databases since all they have is the Amiga version up there right now.

• 6 months later...
When I started up Launchbox yesterday, I got a message that said a new version was available, so I clicked to upgrade. Then I get an error message saying I have to quit out of Launchbox to continue with the installation. But the only instance I can find of Launchbox running is the setup itself. So I clicked to continue. Then I got an error message; I can't remember what it said now, but the installation did not complete. So I tried to start my old version of Launchbox by clicking my desktop shortcut, but it doesn't work anymore. I look for where my original Launchbox program was (I think I had the portable version stored on an external drive) and it's gone, too. So I tried to re-download and re-install Launchbox, and I think I chose the non-portable version which installed itself on my hard drive. I was hoping it might somehow see my old collection, but I had to re-import everything. I re-imported all my Windows games, but I can't get it to see the folder on the external drive where all my DOS games had been installed. It only sees an empty folder, even though it isn't empty. How can I get it to see my DOS games? Or do I need to re-install them all over again, too? Also, when I originally installed my Windows games, Launchbox had been able to find artwork for a lot of them, but this time, it can't find any art for any of them. What might I be doing wrong?

Hi @jrasicmark, it sounds like you've installed to two different folders. All your games should still be there, once you figure out where you originally installed LaunchBox. If you reinstall to that same original folder, all of your original games and images, etc. should all be there. You just have to know where you put LaunchBox to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...

When trying to install "Star Wars: Rebel Assault" from a bin/cue image, the process terminates with an "Illegal command: INSTALL" error.  I noticed from browsing the image that the installation .exe file appears to be "REBEL.EXE."  Apparently, the DosBox interface automatically uses the "install" command on all games.  Is there a way to change this so the game imports correctly?

• 1 month later...

I've used Dfend In the past, but that program is what made me find LaunchBox almost 3 years ago now. I honestly don't know if there is much benefit to running that parallel to LaunchBox. I guess if you don't know how to edit the DosBox.conf?

On 10/14/2016 at 5:22 AM, jdvries said:

Hi, for some reason the MS-DOS game installation wizard does not allow to select a different "install" executable when using a CD image. Can you please fix that in a new version?

If you wouldn't mind adding that as a BitBucket ticket by clicking the Issues/Requests link at the top of the forums, this way it can be tracked and implemented.

Well, as long as things are kept at default, LaunchBox has a GUI for editing the DosBox.conf. Functionally, we already do what Dfend does. I randomly came up with a reason why someone would, then realized it was a very bad example actually. I also prefer to use DosBox Daum (DosBox-x isn't working in a LB setup), so I manually edit the DosBox.conf files as is or keep a master file and really only change things when I need to.