LaunchBox Community Forums

MS-DOS Game Installation Wizard - Game Troubleshooting

Jason Carr

I'm new here and not good with games,this will be a long line so here it gos. I downloaded LaunchBox 6.12 I'm trying to install star trek judgment rites everything is fine till i get to this......Copy the CD to the Destination FolderI say Yes, Copy to the Destination Folder because I have the CD-ROM and I get this Error........CDRDAO does not appear to recognize your drive "ATAPI DVD ADH16ABSH  SCSI Cd Rom Device."  It may be emulated;emulated drives are not supported.  Can someone please help me with this problem????? ty jas_hop

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, optimus0 said:

i don't now if i should post this here ..... i am having troubles installing daggerfall web version (not enough disk space with the huge install option) with minimum option work.  i tried to add -freesize 614400 into dosbox cong file and in the launchbox but not work.

The -freesize switch is probably the right answer, but 614400 but seems awfully high. That specific number does appear to be what's recommended on the DOSBox wiki page for Daggerfall though...

I seem to recall running into this issue when I originally installed Daggerfall as well. I'll test a fresh install and see what I can come up with.

I got it to work with -freesize 1000. I used the version available directly from Bethesda's website which I assume is the version you're referring to.

1) Extracted it to C:\Dosbox\Games\

2) Move the "DFCD" folder into the "Dagger" folder (you don't actually have to do this, but I like to keep things cleaner with everything contained in one game folder)

3) Opened DOSBox and entered the following:

mount c "C:\Dosbox\Games\" -freesize 1000

mount d "C:\Dosbox\Games\Dagger\DFCD\" -t cdrom -label Daggerfall (this part is a bit unusual, but I can confirm it's necessary - if you don't, it will tell you you've inserted "the wrong CD" when you try to actually start the game)

D:

Install

4) Select "Install the game to your hard drive"

5) Select "Change the install size"

6) Select "Huge installation (450MB)"

7) Select "Yes, this installation size is fine"

8) Select "Yes, I want to install the game here"

9) Select "Go ahead and install the game"

10) Once the install is complete, select your SFX and MIDI cards of choice and save

Optional) Once back in the DOSBox UI in C:\Dagger\ enter dag213 and it'll patch the game to 1.07

Voila!

3 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

*is an idiot* You're right. I read it wrong. That's what I get for replying when I first wake up. X_X

Haha no worries :P

30 minutes ago, optimus0 said:

thanks is working now, it seems that the -freesize that i was using is to high but 1000 work great

PDA: also i recommend using this version: http://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

it has a lot of fixed content and customs all in a nice installer and only required minor dosbox config.

Glad it's working!

I'll have to check out that other version. The one from Bethesda's site does include the 1.07 patch but obviously not the rest of that stuff.

So for the record, to anyone who generally gets upset when we don't allow a lot of different links on the site: I am riding the line on this link a few posts up, but I am leaning towards leaving it, ONLY because the game is freely available from Bethesda's website with all copy protection removed. The above installer just does a lot (I mean a lot), of nice things to help the end user, and it provides some awesome mods (I am also a sucker for good mods).

That said, I got in to Daggerfall cause of that installer. I'm sure I've seen it before, but you reminded me right when I needed something like this. I did remap pretty much all of the controls to make it much much much more user friendly, and as close as I can make it to something like Skyrim. You also need to click the Mouse button and change the mouse controls from cursor to view. You can toggle the cursor with Enter on these modified controls, which is helpful because I sometimes get out of it on accident. Here's a screenshot of my controls to help anyone out:

NMYOld6.png

8 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

So for the record, to anyone who generally gets upset when we don't allow a lot of different links on the site: I am riding the line on this link a few posts up, but I am leaning towards leaving it, ONLY because the game is freely available from Bethesda's website with all copy protection removed. The above installer just does a lot (I mean a lot), of nice things to help the end user, and it provides some awesome mods (I am also a sucker for good mods).

That said, I got in to Daggerfall cause of that installer. I'm sure I've seen it before, but you reminded me right when I needed something like this. I did remap pretty much all of the controls to make it much much much more user friendly, and as close as I can make it to something like Skyrim. You also need to click the Mouse button and change the mouse controls from cursor to view. You can toggle the cursor with Enter on these modified controls, which is helpful because I sometimes get out of it on accident. Here's a screenshot of my controls to help anyone out:

EsrZNxT.png

OFF Topic:

yes i understand the copyrights, that is why i post the link, i am NOT pro piracy at all. but perhaps i should check the site rules regarding external links before. sorry

BTW: thanks for the controls

Edited by optimus0
say thanks

No, you're ok. I'm saying I am going to leave it, at least for now. Bethesda provides the game completely free of charge, with it's copy protection removed, on their own site, which is the only reason I am even debating with myself on leaving it available. Granted, just because they provide it, doesn't mean we technically can, but I honestly think that this is fine.

In case you do want to use the settings I made, I changed the image out for something a tad bit tweaked. I was wanting a closer option for the cursor set button and to be able to do magic a bit more easily, so I like the new one a bit better. :P

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't install a multiple floppy disks game that is Leisure Suit Larry 6 that has 6 disks. After some research (This is the first time for me using DosBox outside LauchBox) I did unzip the 6 files, then created an iso out of each one of them, then created a cue sheet for each, then within DB used the command imgmount a c:/d1.iso c:/d2.iso ... -t iso and alternate between isos with ctrl+F4 but somehow it doesn't work. the first disk installs like a charm, but when it asks for disk 2 i press the switch command and the secondary window in DB says image 2 of 6 is now active but pressing enter in the install wizard only gives me a beep. In LB the wizard for adding a DOS game only allows me to select one iso file. Please help I'm stuck. Thanks in advance!