LaunchBox Community Forums

Finding Your Steam Custom URL

Jason Carr

I had this problem right now, I've (succesfully) integrated to Steam aeons ago, hadn't changed anything.. and it still was my fault!

So, instead of just my steam id, I had the whole URL in the Custom URL box. I probably pasted it wrong years ago but whatever the case the integration worked up until recently. Posted this here in case the future user does like me ie googles the problem and ends up on this page.  So: don't be blind like me and check that the Custom URL only has your handle and nothing else :)

Side note: Launchbox's been telling me that I'm succesfully connected to Steam. Only after buying the game and realizing it didn't get imported I noticed there's something wrong. 

Edited by viritys

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

I just ran an import without issue. What makes you think it's not working?

The fact that it doesn't work anymore on my end, while I did not change anything in my steam account settings nor anything in my launchbox settings. Since it still worked after the update to 13.8 my guess is that steam is the source of the problem.

7 minutes ago, Timo1977 said:

The fact that it doesn't work anymore on my end, while I did not change anything in my steam account settings nor anything in my launchbox settings. Since it still worked after the update to 13.8 my guess is that steam is the source of the problem.

I mean inside of LaunchBox what exactly are you seeing that would lead you to believe the process isn't working?

On 12/11/2023 at 6:43 AM, C-Beats said:

I mean inside of LaunchBox what exactly are you seeing that would lead you to believe the process isn't working?

I downloaded Launchbox recently and I can't get it working with Steam either. In the import wizard, when it asks for my Steam Custom URL, I've noticed Launchbox assumes it starts with "http://steamcommunity.com/id/...", but my custom URL actually takes the form of "http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/...". Could this have anything to do with the issue?

15 hours ago, breakinggood said:

I downloaded Launchbox recently and I can't get it working with Steam either. In the import wizard, when it asks for my Steam Custom URL, I've noticed Launchbox assumes it starts with "http://steamcommunity.com/id/...", but my custom URL actually takes the form of "http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/...". Could this have anything to do with the issue?

If your Steam profile points to that URL you didn't set the custom URL via Steam. Open Steam Client, go to your profile page, hit edit Profile, there will be 3 text boxes, the bottom most one says "Custom URL". Put a value in there and they copy/paste that value into LaunchBox.

9 hours ago, C-Beats said:

If your Steam profile points to that URL you didn't set the custom URL via Steam. Open Steam Client, go to your profile page, hit edit Profile, there will be 3 text boxes, the bottom most one says "Custom URL". Put a value in there and they copy/paste that value into LaunchBox.

Ah, thank you! This is the critical step I was missing! Maybe this will help any other people who, like me, somehow missed this important step.

• 3 weeks later...

I have double-checked to make sure my profile is public in every way, and I have entered my steamid correctly in both my Steam profile and in launchbox, still not connecting for me.

When I try to re-retrieve my API (there is an old one saved in that spot currently) from Steam it says my account does not meet the requirements for a developer API key.  My account requires a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator.  

What is a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator, will it help the situation I am in?  Is it because I am a family account and I have a kid on my account?

7 minutes ago, OnlyHuman said:

What is a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator, will it help the situation I am in?

It's an app on your phone that they use to 2FA the account. When it asks for it you open the Steam app on your device and input the authenticator code. Sometimes it will tell you "Some one from this location is trying to log in" and ask that you accept/decline the login. It's used to ensure your account is harder to steal.

7 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

It's an app on your phone that they use to 2FA the account. When it asks for it you open the Steam app on your device and input the authenticator code. Sometimes it will tell you "Some one from this location is trying to log in" and ask that you accept/decline the login. It's used to ensure your account is harder to steal.

Yea, I knew that was a dumb question, the bulk of what I was asking was, could this be what is preventing me from accessing my Steam library?  Only one way to know, I will try this later, ugh.  More apps and authentication to keep track of!

Just now, OnlyHuman said:

Yea, I knew that was a dumb question, the bulk of what I was asking was, could this be what is preventing me from accessing my Steam library?  Only one way to know, I will try this later, ugh.  More apps and authentication to keep track of!

Personally not sure I didn't think they required it to get their API key, but it's been a long while since I got mine and I also DO have the authenticator tied to the account so I'm not the best to chime in on it.

That is what it was, working fine now.  

For others, I DID already have an API code.

The only thing I can think of is since than I have added a child to my account.  Or, it could just be 7+ years since I did this and they now require an authenticator for an API code.

edit: the API code I have now IS different than the one I entered years ago btw.  Peace all!

Edited by OnlyHuman

Thanks for these posts @OnlyHuman. I was having the same problem where Launchbox could no longer add my uninstalled Steam Games.

I had recently activated Steam Guard and added a child to my account. Clearly, one of those things broke the old API key. Revoking the old one and creating a new one made it start working again.

So, that's the solution if someone else has this problem!

• Game On 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, CyberDog said:

Hi,

I think there is an issue with the url that LaunchBox is using to access Steam profiles. Mine is https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/ But the LaunchBox is trying to use http://steamcommunity.com/id/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Means you haven't set the custom URL in the Edit Profile page. Once you set that the id URL is activated and used. The url is even displayed under the textbox to show you as such.

22 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Means you haven't set the custom URL in the Edit Profile page. Once you set that the id URL is activated and used. The url is even displayed under the textbox to show you as such.

Thanks. Got that right now. Hint for the next one. One should not use / at the end of the steam custom url.