LaunchBox Community Forums

Requesting help collecting platform metadata

Jason Carr

Hello all, we need a proper set of platform metadata for all platforms. I started tackling this, but it was a bigger job than I envisioned, and was taking significant time away from development, so I stopped. The trouble with collecting platform metadata is the data is often hard to find and not always correct. TheGamesDB.net has platform metadata for all its platforms, but it's not always accurate. Therefore, it's best to cross reference information between several different sites to validate the information. Wikipedia is also a decent source, of course, and Google usually fills in the gaps. If you're interested in helping, it'd be much appreciated. The easiest/best thing to do is to simply populate the fields for the platforms in the Manage Platforms dialog inside LaunchBox, and then you can send me your LaunchBox.xml file. Let me know if anyone is interested. :)

@bd00 Hehehehehe. Good questions @Kriven. I'm honestly not entirely sure what would be best, so it's up for discussion. In general, I would think that if a Japanese version of a console plays the same games as a US version, then I'd call them the same console with different names. But of course that can be questionable. Per release date, I'd probably use the first, global release date. It's all up for discussion though.

Sure, though I'd rather not have to add custom logic for automatic region detection. Probably what would work best would be to just require non-US users to change the platform names using Manage Platforms where appropriate. Everything else should function fine as-is, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Jason Carr said Hi @Hippyshake, I do, actually. I only got through a few platforms myself, so we're still pretty close to needing everything. I started with the beginning of the alphabet, so I worked on 3DO, Amiga, and Amstrad.
Sounds good, brotherman. I'll start at SNES and work my way toward the front of the alphabet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi @scree and everyone else; I've updated all of the alternate platform names for all of the platforms. We now have 84 platforms with 288 alternate names. I'll get the updated metadata in a new beta sometime today. Thanks to @scree, we have metadata for 70 of the platforms, so the vast majority of the work has been done. However, there's still 14 platforms that could use metadata: Android Atari Jaguar CD iOS Mac OS Microsoft Xbox 360 Microsoft Xbox One Nintendo Wii Nintendo Wii U Ouya Sega 32X Sega CD Sega Mega Drive Sony Playstation 3 Sony Playstation 4 Let me know if anyone is interested in grabbing metadata for those platforms. Keep in mind that some of the above platforms are semi-duplicates (such as a different name for the same machine in different regions), so you might be able to duplicate some of what is already there in some circumstances. I'm just not an expert on it all so without research I don't know the details of all that off the top of my head.

@Jason I noticed a few updates ago there was no metadata for Sammy Atomiswave, Sega 32x, Sega MegaDrive, Sega Model 2, Sega Model 3, Sega Naomi, Sega Naomi 2, Sega SG-1000, Sega system 16 and Sega System 32 i filled in those in Manage platform details can upload xml if you need those?