LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows 10 - Tweaks, Tricks and Community Sharing [Please Read]

SentaiBrad

Good ol' How-To Geek has plenty of Windows 10 tips, tricks, and articles. Click here for Page 1 of numerous pages of Windows 10 stuff. Oddly, a few articles in the above Link don't relate to Windows 10 directly, but, they still may be useful. P.S. This Website has bailed me out of some Windows 'oddities' in the past. Well, I usually refer to them as inexplicable Microsoft anomalies. Smile

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Subject: How to delete Windows.old (to regain lots of space) Excerpt from the Link below: When you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10, the software retains a copy of your old operating system just in case you want to revert. However, if you decide you're happy running Windows 10 and don't want to roll-back, you're left with at least 15GB of wasted space on your hard drive, all of it stored in a folder called Windows.old. If you simply try to delete the Windows.old directory in File Explorer, the system won't let you remove most of the files because it considers them system files. (I personally recovered nearly 17GB). Anyway, there are many of this particular "How To", but this one's pretty good (an accurate screen-shot for every step, too): How to delete Windows.old

• 3 months later...
A few Task Manager Tricks 1) Don't be so 'trigger-happy' to end that apparently frozen task! Try Analyze Wait Chain first. From the Details Tab, right-click the process in question for the menu you'll need. Analyze-Wait-Chain.jpg 2) Monitor Performance and Resources Look at the Performance Tab. Task-Manager-Performance.jpg Open Resource Monitor for much greater detail (Memory Section in this example) Memory-Resource-Monitor.jpg 3) Search Online for Suspicious Processes Right-click on the suspicious process, then on 'Search online' Suspicious-Search-Online.jpg

Build 14279 just broke my display link drivers get a blue screen when booting Windows 10 on my 6 monitor desktop setup. Luckily this computer dual boots Windows 8.1 now I just have to update everything and download the stable version of Windows 10.

The initial update went faster than I thought i left the computer while it was downloading Windows 10 but a dialog window opened and I needed to click something (just discovered this a few minutes ago) It was at 19% like 5 minutes ago. I'm going to see my Granny in the hospital in like 5 minutes so I won't know how it went until afterwards.

Everything is looking good I was getting 100% disk usage at first after the update but after alot of the Windows processes ended everything settled down I haven't rebooted it yet though to see if it is always going to take some time before the computer becomes usable or if it was just because of the upgrade and they were running alot of stuff initially. I actually have an unused SSD lying around and I would love to throw it in here but the computer is an all in one desktop and I'm not afraid to admit I'm a little intimidated about taking it apart (now if it stopped working then I'm sure all of my fears would be alleviated because I would no longer have anything to lose).

Checked my data usage again this time I clicked Usage Details and I see my BitTorrent habit is a bit out of control.
Spoiler
DataUsage.JPG
Spoiler
UsageByApp.JPG
I don't think all of these things have to do with the internet and they include things that are done on my home network like if I use WinRAR a lot of times I will unrar the file onto my server over the network how else would WinRAR be using data, also Plex Home Theater should be directly accessing my Plex Media Server on my local network not going outside of it. Even BitTorrent I download stuff on my local clients but all the torrent directories point to the server so all my downloads come in through the computer and then over the network to the server that is probably increasing the data usage because I certainly don't go through a TB of disk space a month (since my server duplicates all the files 662GB would actually be 1324 GB in 30 days I'm pretty sure I don't go through it that fast.